They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Bad timing

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Re: Bad timing

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:37 pm

One think I would recommend is to try out version 8 before you do anything with version 7.
You may actually rather have version 7, the latest isn't always the greatest if you know what I mean ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:06 pm

Good point, Chuck. Has anybody had any problems with PE8 so far?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Tomsde » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:56 am

I have a few reservations about Version 8. I really don't want the program to automate trimming for me (and in 7 I don't want it to tell me if my video is any good); I think I'm a better judge of such things than the computer. The new organizer is something I can also live without; I have my own system that works for me. What I find attractive about 8 so far is the background rendering (which Pinnacle Studio does and I'm used to), clip art, and thumbnail previews of effects. Whether those things make it worth upgrading, I'm not sure. If I knew for sure if the new version did not have the annoying audio drop outs, I would have my credit card out in a heartbeat. I'm not adventuresome enough to try the trial version; I'm always afraid that uninstalling other versions of a program can take out files needed by the one you want to keep.
Custom System: i7 2.67 ghtz processor, 4 gigabytes ram, n'vdea 9800 series graphics card with 1 gig ram, 1 terabyte HD, 1 500 GB hard drive running 32 Bit Vista Home Premium Edition.
Tomsde
New User
New User

Postby JohnnyO » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:18 am

If I knew for sure if the new version did not have the annoying audio drop outs, I would have my credit card out in a heartbeat.

I don't pay for bug fixes. They should be released in a maintenance patch.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby peggig » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Tomsde wrote:I have a few reservations about Version 8. I really don't want the program to automate trimming for me (and in 7 I don't want it to tell me if my video is any good); I think I'm a better judge of such things than the computer.

I would hope (and expect!) that these are both options that a user could choose, rather than something the software does automatically. If it does it automatically, I wouldn't use it. I'd go back to PE3 (which is what I'm using now).

I really do like the idea of background rendering, though. I'm also curious about the feature where it says it removes camera shake. I usually shoot on a tripod, so that isn't ordinarily an issue, but I occasionally have to do a hand-held "tracking" shot, or whip out the camera and get some quick footage where I don't have time to set up the tripod. My guess would be that the software would have to crop the top, bottom, and/or sides of the frame to move the subject into alignment. That would require enlarging the subject in the center of the frame, which would reduce resolution/sharpness. But this is just a guess. Has anybody used this feature yet?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Tomsde » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:46 am

Well I've read here that the automated options can be turned off; but that's not really the issue--to me automatic editing isn't a incentive to for me personally to upgrade (I don't like that sort of thing and won't use it); I'm a control freak--give me the control to shape my creative vision :-D . There are, however, more than enough other reasons to get this upgrade having given it a lot of thought. I think the improvements will make a difference.

I've tried several anti-shake plugins and have purchased ProDad Mercali; they can help a little bit, but my experience is that they create artifacts on the outputted, corrected file. Nothing really can make badly shaken video look good; but I'd be interested to see how well Adobe's version works (and would not allow it to apply it automatically).
Custom System: i7 2.67 ghtz processor, 4 gigabytes ram, n'vdea 9800 series graphics card with 1 gig ram, 1 terabyte HD, 1 500 GB hard drive running 32 Bit Vista Home Premium Edition.
Tomsde
New User
New User

Postby peggig » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:30 pm

In PhotoShop, there are some automatic correction options, but they aren't applied automatically. They call them automatic because, when you select that option, it automaticallly sets all the parameters for you. I assumed that was the case with PE8's "automatic" features, also.

I haven't received my copy of PE8 yet but, if you're sure it does trimming (or anything else) automatically, do you know how to turn that off? Is it a setting you can specify somewhere? I'm a control freak also. I don't want the software making any editing choices for me automatically. I know specifically what I'm looking for; the software doesn't.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:20 pm

Actually, Peggig, you have to turn Smart Trimming ON -- so there's no danger of doing it automatically. And, if you don't like the feature -- or Smart Mixing for audio for that matter -- there's no reason to use it.

But, as I say in my new book, there are two features enabled by default that you may want to turn off if you find your computer lugging to keep the program running. Background Rendering (which can be unchecked in Premiere Elements' preferences) and Auto Analyzing (which can be turned off in the Organizer's preferences). Also, while you're in Premiere Elements' preferences, set Timeline Scrolling to Page Scroll rather than Smooth Scroll. That too will make the program run more efficiently.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks, Steve! Actually, I was kind of looking forward to background rendering. Too bad it slows down performance so much. BTW, what is auto analyzing?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:54 am

With Smart Mixing, you can take several audio tracks -- say, one with your video clip, one with a musical soundtrack and one with your narration -- and you designate which one(s) you want to be the Master, or main audio, and which you want to be Slaves (background).

The program will then automatically adjust the audio levels so that, say, the music level lowers when the narration comes in, then goes back up with the narration stops. It actually works pretty well too!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cknittle » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:... Auto Analyzing (which can be turned off in the Organizer's preferences).

Yo Steve,

Where do I find the Organizer's preferences? I didn't see it under Edit->Preferences.
cknittle

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:49 pm

It's there, Curtis. In the Organizer under Edit.

The Auto-Analyzer even has an entire page to itself.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:56 pm

I finally got my "post-announce upgrade," but they sent the wrong software. They sent PhotoShop Elements 8 instead of Premiere Elements 8. I waited on hold for 57 minutes to talk to Customer Service, and they said they'll send me a copy of Premiere Elements 8. I should receive it within two weeks...

Tom, did you ever get your post announce upgrade?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby jag32266 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi,

Hope I'm not stepping out of line here but, it seems after reading quite a bit of these various posts that I might not want to upgrade to PE8.

Anyone who has interested in perhaps parting with PS7/PE7 ?

I currently have PS6/PE4 so it would be an upgrade to me - astroM81@gmail.com if you prefer off-list. Maybe I should try Amazon
Jay

XP SP2, XFX 650i Ultra NVIDA ATX, Pent D 925 3.0GHz,800MHz FSB, DuCore,Presler, LITE-ON DVDRW, 3Gb PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory, XFX GeForce 8400 GS PCIe, MAX. Eide 200GB,Seagate HD SATA 320GB x 2, Vantec NST-D100SU NexStar HD Dock - SATA to eSATA
jag32266

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:17 pm

Here's the link for Amazon, new and used between $115 and $65 for version 7

http://astore.amazon.com/chuckengelsco- ... B001DMBX7S
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to PRE Version 8