They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Bad timing

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Bad timing

Postby peggig » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 pm

About a month ago, when I decided to get a high-def camcorder, I decided it was time to upgrade my editing software, so I ordered PE7. Because I was in the middle of editing a project, I decided to wait until I was finished before installing the new version, -- just in case. So, I was just about to install it yesterday, when I learned that PE8 just came out!

I purchased PE7 directly from Adobe, and haven't even opened the package yet. Does anybody know if there's any chance Adobe would exchange it for PE8, since I haven't opened it yet? I tried to call customer support yesterday, but gave up after waiting on hold for an hour and a half, and they're not open on weekends. So I thought I'd ask here if anybody has any thoughts on this.

Thanks!
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bad timing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:10 pm

I would definitely contact them. They're usually very good about giving a free or discounted upgrade when you've bought the most recent version so close the release of a newer.

Meantime, go ahead and open the one you've got. Might as well get started on your video. Adobe won't likely ask for it back in order to give you a new one.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks, Steve. I'll try calling again on Monday.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:39 pm

peggig wrote:So I thought I'd ask here if anybody has any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Adobe has a money-back guarantee, even if yiou've tried the software, but I do not recall how many days.

Steve is correct, they will not ask you to return it. When I decided I did not like a new version, they merely asked that I destroy the DVDs, and they refunded my credit card.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:40 pm

peggig wrote:Thanks, Steve. I'll try calling again on Monday.

If memory serves, you do not need to call. You go to the website where you bought it and click that you want credit for it.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:36 pm

The exact number of days may be important - so if you plan to call, do it as soon as you can. However, I don't think they are staffed on Sunday.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby peggig » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:46 pm

I ordered it on August 25. It was delivered on September 2. Do you know what the range of days is during which you can get a free upgrade? I think the new version just came out two days ago, which is within a month of when I ordered it, and about 3 weeks after it was delivered.

When I called tech support yesterday, I waited on hold for over an hour and a half. At that point, it was after their customer service hours, so I figured they must have all gone home and left me on hold, so I hung up. I hope I didn't just miss the deadline. I wondered why there was such a long hold time. Maybe other people are trying to do the same thing.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:33 pm

I think that it was 30 days, but I am not sure. Also I don't know when the "clock" starts.

Seeing George's suggestion that you go to the Adobe web site, sign in with your Adobe ID and navigate to their form for Return/Exchange, I suggest that you try that. I think that you want the "Customer Support Portal" choice at http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

Good luck.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby peggig » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks, Barb. It looks like I'm just over the limit. Friday, when I tried to call tech support but couldn't get through, was the 31st day after I ordered it, even though it was only three weeks from the date it was delivered. I filed a request anyway, and we'll see what happens.

If I were Adobe, I would honor it just for the sake of good customer relations, since I haven't even installed the product yet. But, if they just go strictly by the stated timeline, I'm out of luck.

I'll let you know what happens. It looks like customer support is actually open 7 days a week, even though tech support isn't, so I'm waiting on hold again...
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Tomsde » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

I purchased my copy of PE 7 recently too. I did chat with the sale rep at Adobe and asked since I purchased the software within the past month if I were entitled to a discount on upgrading. They came back with "There is no direct upgrade path for Premiere Elements."

If you didn't open the software you should be able to return it; I installed mine so there doesn't seem much I can do.
Custom System: i7 2.67 ghtz processor, 4 gigabytes ram, n'vdea 9800 series graphics card with 1 gig ram, 1 terabyte HD, 1 500 GB hard drive running 32 Bit Vista Home Premium Edition.
Tomsde
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:19 am

I wouldn't give up so easy, Tom. This is the first week the software has become available -- and then only by download from Adobe. When I contacted them, they hadn't even figured out their upgrade price yet!

Once they get up to speed in a few days, it might be worth contacting them again.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:41 am

And just tell them that you purchased recently and want a copy of the new version.
If they weren't so secretive about the release you would have waited for the new version to come out.
Remember - You are the customer and there are other editing programs out there.
Be persistent with them and they should do the right thing.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cknittle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:44 pm

For what it's worth...

A couple years ago I purchased PE3 the same week they released PE4. I called them and they sent me PE4 no charge, I only had to pay the shipping charges. Definitely worth giving them a call.

Curtis
cknittle

Postby peggig » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:06 pm

When I finally got through to Customer Support, and explained the situation, they said they'll send me a copy of PE8, with instructions on what to do with my copy of PE7. So I'm not going to install it; they may want me to ship it back to them.

Tom, call Adobe again and tell them you want a "post-announce upgrade." That's what they call it when they come out with a new version within 30 days of your purchase. (Don't ask for a discount on an upgrade. That may have confused them.) The "post-announce upgrade" is free, but you may (or may not) have to return your original purchase. (I won't know until I receive the instructions they send with the new version.) If you purchased it direct from Adobe, be sure to tell them your order # so they can look it up to verify the date you purchased it. Otherwise, you may have to fax them your receipt. Good luck!
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Great news, peggig!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 8