They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My PRE8 Chronic Crashing Work-around

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Re: My PRE8 Chronic Crashing Work-around

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:24 am

Uninstall the current version and then install a previous version

Yep. That's the only way.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:26 pm

After uninstalling PRE8, I installed PRE7. Quicktime 7.3.1 was already installed. Then I decided to install PRE8 again, but afterwards it wouldn't start up. I had to uninstall Quicktime 7.3.1, reboot, and install Quicktime 7.3.1 again. Then PRE8 started up.

1. Install PRE7
2. Install Quicktime 7.3.1
3. Install PRE8, but afterwards it won't start up to main menu.
4. Uninstall Quicktime 7.3.1
5. Reboot
6. Install Quicktime 7.3.1, now PRE8 starts up to main menu.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:04 pm

So I wonder if the trick is to install Quicktime after installing Premiere Elements 8?
Uninstall Quicktime, Install Premiere Elements 8, Install Quicktime ? :-k
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:So I wonder if the trick is to install Quicktime after installing Premiere Elements 8?
Uninstall Quicktime, Install Premiere Elements 8, Install Quicktime ? :-k

While I don't have time for that diversion, if one does run into a problem in that case, they will need to uninstall Quicktime ? and then install Quicktime ? again. In my case, the final Quicktime install must be version 7.3.1 or earlier. No later version works.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:26 am

So I wonder if the trick is to install Quicktime after installing Premiere Elements 8?
Uninstall Quicktime, Install Premiere Elements 8, Install Quicktime ?

I think you also need to hop around on one foot while rubbing your belly. :)
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:27 am

JohnnyO wrote:
Uninstall Quicktime, Install Premiere Elements 8, Install Quicktime ?

I think you also need to hop around on one foot while rubbing your belly. :)

...and twirling a chicken around your head with the other hand.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:23 pm

One of my Unix gurus (actually, advanced guru) back at IBM always kept a chicken leg bone on his monitor and would wave it as a magic wand whenever somebody wanted something. The extraordinary thing is: it worked!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby peggig » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:18 am

I finally finished shooting and am starting to edit my latest project in PRE8. I shot over 7 hours of tape that I need to edit it down to a one hour video. I used HDVSplit to split it by scenes, and have almost 600 clips. I imported them all into the Organizer, since I don't know if PRE8 can handle 600 video clips in one project. I've categorized and tagged everything in the organizer to make it easy to import what I want.

I've only imported 17 clips so far, and assembled them into a 2.5 minute montage. PRE8 has crashed half a dozen times already. The first time it hung was when I was simply scrolling through the list of effects. I wasn't even performing any editing operation. I got the white fade over the entire window with the "rolling donut" that indicates the program is not responding. I figured I'd give it time to recover. 45 minutes later, it was still hung, so I shut it down. The next time it crashed, I had just clicked Render Timeline. It started to render and then the program simply disappeared. No warning, no error messages, it was simply no longer running. Since then, this has happened repeatedly. I've only just begun on a very long editing project, and I'm beginning to feel that it's a hopeless endeavor.

I'll try rolling back to QuickTime 7.3.1 and see if that helps. Where can I download it from?

If that doesn't work, I'll have to uninstall PRE8 and install PRE7. If I do that, I assume I'll lose all the work I've done importing nearly 600 clips into the organizer and tagging them with categories, subcategories, and keywords. I hate to waste all those hours of work, but I have a feeling I could be wasting a lot more hours if I try to continue with PRE8.

This application was obviously shipped before it was ready. I'm shocked by the lack of quality control at Adobe, of all places. If this were freeware, I'd understand, but this is Adobe! How could they ship this product when it's so unstable? Does anybody know if there are any patches or updates in the works?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:25 am

Hopefully this link will get you Quicktime Player 7.3.1:

http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-r ... taller.exe

Other versions can be found here:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#quicktime
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby peggig » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks, RJ. I just found a download site for it on another thread on this forum, and downloaded it from there. (http://www.oldapps.com/quicktime_player.php)

I'm anxious to try it and see if it fixes the crashing problem. I sure hope so!
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby peggig » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

I thought maybe reverting to the older version of QuickTime had solved the crashing problem, and maybe it did for the crashes during rendering or editing. But it still hangs periodically when scrolling through the Edit options. And, of course, when it hangs, it never recovers, and I have to shut it down and restart and lose all the work I've done since the last time I saved.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is there any known solution or workaround? This is extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:21 pm

How long are you waiting before you decide that the program has hung? Sometimes people just aren't waiting long enough. There are times when Premiere Pro or Elements will seem to hang for 3 or 4 minutes but then jumps right back. As long as I wait for it to come back everything is fine. If it does hang like that it usually means that the cache and/or RAM is getting maxed out. I then need to save the project and close Premiere Elements and then open it again and everything is fine :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:07 am

How long are you waiting before you decide that the program has hung? Sometimes people just aren't waiting long enough. There are times when Premiere Pro or Elements will seem to hang for 3 or 4 minutes but then jumps right back. As long as I wait for it to come back everything is fine. If it does hang like that it usually means that the cache and/or RAM is getting maxed out. I then need to save the project and close Premiere Elements and then open it again and everything is fine

I have also seen what Chuck is stating.

When that happens it is very annoying. Adobe should address this problem. I do not have this problem with the other video editor I use.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 am

I've also had this happen several times. The first time I decided that the program had locked up and I forced program termination. When I tried to open my project back up again it was corrupted and would not load. If it hadn't been for my backup I would have lost everything. A couple of weeks ago it happened again, and this time I just waited it out. Sure enough, after several minutes it finally resolved itself and returned to normal. I immediately did a controlled shutdown and rebooted the system, just for safety, since I didn't know what had actually caused it. I'm using PrEl 7.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby peggig » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:36 pm

The first time, I went away and ate dinner and came back 45 minutes later and it was still hung. Last night, I left it for 10 minutes before giving up and shutting it down and starting over. I've tried saving while it's hung, but it's totally unresponsive. (I have 4 GB of RAM, so I don't think that should be a problem.)

Also, I thought reverting to QuickTime 7.3.1 might have solved the crashing problem, where the whole application just suddenly disappears in the middle of some operation. But last night it happened again. It seems to happen much less frequently with QT 7.3.1 than with QT 7.6.4, but it still happens periodically. I now save after every editing operation. That way, when it happens, I only lose the last operation I performed. But it's very annoying and cumbersome. I'm thinking of uninstalling PE8 and installing PE7, which I never did install.

Has anybody had these kinds of problems (or others I should know about) with PE7?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 8