They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Giving up on PE8...

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Giving up on PE8...

Postby Paul LS » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Well I have been putting up with the terrible AVCHD editing experience with PE8 for long enough. I am going back to PE7.

The playback of AVCHD clips is like chalk and cheese between PE8 and PE7. In PE7 I can play back AVCHD clips without rendering and they play back "cleanly". With PE8 if you play back with out rendering the clips "break up"... is the best way I can put it. Also the playback is very jerky. Adobe have definately broken AVCHD playback in PE8. I have discussed this with other AVCHD users and they are seeing the same thing... and rolling back to PE7. Very dissapointing... especially as this issue was pointed out to them at an early stage.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Giving up on PE8...

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Sorry to hear that Paul, good thing you have a backup plan :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Paul LS wrote:Well I have been putting up with the terrible AVCHD editing experience with PE8 for long enough. I am going back to PE7.

Can you get your money back, Paul?

I discovered my dislike for the 8 bundle (my preference for 7) at the trial version stage so there isn't much I can do to express to Adobe my displeasure, but if enough people who actually paid for 8 ask for their money back, that might cause Adobe to get a message that would be helpful for consumers in terms of future releases.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:55 pm

:pull: I had trouble playing back just DV-AVI footage until I turned off one of the options in Project settings. And I have to manually turn it off for each new project because it's not a sticky item. Once I turn it off, playback resumes to normal.

Edit > Project Settings > General > Playback Settings button > Realtime Playback External Device: NONE.

I also found that turning on Timeline Page Scroll instead of Smooth Scroll also made a big difference.

GPU Acceleration is better for me if it's turned off. Having it on makes for choppy playback.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:46 am

Yes I tried all those options from your previous posts but made no difference. It is not so much the choppiness as that for AVCHD the picture breaks up when it plays back... unless it is rendered. In PE7 I can quite happily playback the unrendered AVCHD with perfect quality.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:37 pm

It's interesting that I can add an AVCHD 1080i file to the timeline of a standard definition project, clear the checkmark for "scale to frame size," and there is no distortion. Same thing if I add AVCHD 1080i to a 720p project and clear the checkmark for "scale to frame size."

By the way, don't edit the project presets with WordPad. Premiere Elements won't recognize the edited preset. Notepad might work, but I used VEdit.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 8