They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Frame a scrolling semi-transparent object?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Frame a scrolling semi-transparent object?

Postby Briantho » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi,

I've uploaded a small clip for this as I'm not sure I can adequately explain it in words:

Clip plays here

I have some sheet music that I'm 'projecting' onto the backscreen of the stage and it scrolls. However, very near the beginning of the clip the lower part of the music is also projected over the horizontal stage.

I tried the 'Clip' video effect but that introduces non-transparent bands. 'Corner-pin' moves with the scroll as does 'Four-Point Garbage Matte'.

If it was text I'd make it a title... Perhaps there's another way of doing this?

Many thanks in advance,

Brian.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:38 pm

If I understand what you are trying to achieve Brian you want to "hide" the music that is projected onto the stage. You could try the crop effect which does the same as clip but it will zoom in. The zoom in may result in some pixelation being introduced. You could also experiment with the camera view effect and pay with the focal length and zoom.

For what it's worth I barely noticed it the first time I played the video.

I'd be interested in seeing the results of your experiments.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:47 pm

I think Jamal has a good suggestion with the Crop effect or Camera View, and I didn't notice it the first time either, looks more like a reflection.

I wonder how it is that the image stops projecting on the stage floor after a few seconds?
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions but these effects move upwards with the scrolling music. And unfortunately, in a way, it will be noticed because I'm making a DVD and on a 42" screen the lower stave of music spread out on the stage will be seen.

I can sort of see what I need to do but I'm missing the experience :???: Say I have the video on 'Video 2' and the sheet-music on 'Video 4'. On 'Video 3' I need some sort of rectangular shape (identical to the lit backstage) which will show the scrolling sheet-music within the shape but not outside of it. Does that make sense? :shock:
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:10 pm

Sounds kind of like a Track Matte.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:36 pm

Easiest just to use the 4-point garbage matte. Have the bottom track your video, the track above that the scrolling music and the track above that the video again with the garbage matte applied.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:08 pm

Wow, gentlemen - this is definitely going in an interesting direction! After a bit of playing around with the coordinates I've got the area defined BUT the music only appears AROUND the area and not within it. And there's no 'Inverse' checkbox which would make it just perfect... any ideas, please....?
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 pm

What are you applying the Garbage Matte to?
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:26 pm

I just followed Paul's suggestion: original video on track 2, scrolling music on track 3 and then original video also on track 4 with the garbage matte applied there. Specifically I positioned the corners at:

170, 53 . . . . . . . 550, 50
188, 275 . . . . . . . 538, 285

Negative numbers wouldn't do it..?
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:37 pm

Click on Garbage Matte in the Properties window and you will see the four points in the monitor. Pull the top two points down to where you want the scrolling text to first appear. So the four points should form a rectangle at the bottom of the screen. The layer 2 and 3 tracks will be revealed above the rectangle.
You are doing the opposite. :-D
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:56 pm

That works perfectly in this case - many thanks Paul and Chuck for your patience :)

What occured to me (in the last couple of hours as we've been communicating on this) that instead of blocking out the scrolling music at the bottom of the screen, wouldn't it be rather good to be able to do the reverse and specify an area where the scrolling whatever SHOULD appear.

I actually tried using more than one garbage (why garbage?) matte on 'Video 4' so as to set up four boxes around the lit up back of the stage but quite reasonably they cancelled each other out - just a crazy idea! :)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:02 pm

You can do what you want using the track matte. Just in this case it is easier to use the garbage matte.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:14 pm

Right - I'm off to read up about that then! :)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Prior Versions