They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Desperation: Can't get clear AVI into PrE4! Please help!

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Desperation: Can't get clear AVI into PrE4! Please help!

Postby borneoguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Hey All,

I simply want to get a clear AVI of screen captures into (and then exported from) PrE4. They always appear crystal clear OUTSIDE of PrE4, but when brought in, pieces of the screen on the video clip either get blackened out, or the whole screen has terribly low resolution.

This seems like a simple task. Can someone please help me? I'm making a video application for an absolute dream job and I only have two weeks. These technical bumps are really slowing me down! :(

With Thanks,
SP
borneoguy
New User
New User

Re: Desperation: Can't get clear AVI into PrE4! Please hel

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi SP, Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:

What is the source of the AVI files? AVI is simply a wrapper for various codecs. The codec used to create the AVI could be one that Premiere Elements isn't able to work with. Also, your project setting needs to match the source video, so a SD project needs to have a source file that is 720 x 480 4:3.

You can convert AVI files pretty easily with Windows Movie Maker, we have a tutorial on how to do that in the product section.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

In this case you would just convert from AVI to DV-AVI using movie maker. The resulting file should work fine in Premiere Elements.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby borneoguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Chuck. It really means a lot to me.

Chuck Engels wrote:What is the source of the AVI files? AVI is simply a wrapper for various codecs.

I used Camstudio v2.0 with Camstudio Lossless Codec v1.4, as advised by almost everyone I've come across who is loading HD quality (or close to it) onto YouTube. Think screen shot tutorial type videos. For being "the standard" for tutorial givers, PrE4 haaaated it. Turned chunks of the clip's screen black and made it choppy. Maybe it's a version issue with PrE4? I have no idea :(

Chuck Engels wrote: Also, your project setting needs to match the source video, so a SD project needs to have a source file that is 720 x 480 4:3

My project will ultimately be loaded onto YouTube as 1280x720, H.264 video codec. What do I do if my project has source footage from all different files (e.g., HDish screen caps from Camstudio, lower quality footage from my Sony Handicam (DVD camcorder), etc). Do I set everything to 1280x720 in the beginning?

Chuck Engels wrote: You can convert AVI files pretty easily with Windows Movie Maker, we have a tutorial on how to do that in the product section.

I will try that and let you know, thanks! :tup:
borneoguy
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I dont think Premiere Elements will work with the Camstudio Lossless Codec v1.4. I know that it's big brother Premiere Pro has problems with the codec as per this thread:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/421208?tstart=-3

Best bet may be to convert it to another format. :(
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby borneoguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Paul LS wrote:I dont think Premiere Elements will work with the Camstudio Lossless Codec v1.4.
Best bet may be to convert it to another format. :(

Another format as in another codec, or another file extension entirely? Sorry, I don't come from a deep technical background. Do you have a recommendation. Thank you!
borneoguy
New User
New User

Postby borneoguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Chuck Engels wrote: You can convert AVI files pretty easily with Windows Movie Maker, we have a tutorial on how to do that in the product section. In this case you would just convert from AVI to DV-AVI using movie maker. The resulting file should work fine in Premiere Elements.

OK Chuck so I tried this with the AVI produced using the Camstudio Lossless Codec. Not a good result. I played the video in Windows Media Player. The resulting AVI seemed to be shaking/flickering, and the resolution was still very poor.

I produced another AVI using a Lagarith Codec. When I drag this to the sceneline in WMM, it crashes every time. <sigh> I really thought we had found the solution! :(
borneoguy
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Steve and I use Camtasia for all of our tutorials here at Muvipix. I have had success using the uncompressed AVI codec.
I have also had success producing the Camtasia project as H.264 and a few other formats and importing those files into Premiere Elements.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:43 pm

I use the regular Camtasia AVI. I bring it into Premiere Elements, right-click on it and select Field Options/Flicker Removal to de-interlace it. Then I output it as a standard AVI using Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset. And THAT is the video that I later use in my projects. I'd never use raw Camtasia AVIs. I always use Premiere Elements to convert it to a DV-AVI first.

One other important point: Don't use Camtasia to capture your entire computer monitor and expect to get good results in video. Your screen is likely several times the size of a standard video. So you'll do best setting Camtasia to shoot only about a 640x480 pixel or so area on your monitor for best results. This is what I did for some of my Google Earth animations.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:50 pm

My project will ultimately be loaded onto YouTube as 1280x720

The project is 720p, not standard definition but that shouldn't matter.
Just make sure that your project setting is as close to the actual video size as possible.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions