They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio/Video Tracks

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Audio/Video Tracks

Postby Little Nac » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:14 am

Hi all.
Can anyone please tell me how I can insert either Audio or Video Tracks where I WANT THEM. I know how to insert them, but I want to be able to put them where I want, not Before Last Track or Before First Track or whatever it is.
e.g. Under the Timeline (which is Vedeo 1) is Audio 1. I then have under Audio 1, Music, then Narration, then Sound Effects, then I would like another Audio Track under, but I just can't seem to be able to do it.
I guess there is a simple way, but I don't know what it is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Little Nac

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Audio/Video Tracks

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:07 am

No direct way to insert a track in the midst of other tracks that I'm aware of. But the workaround is to add a new track before the first or after the last, then select (I like to just lasso-select) all of the content on the tracks above or below where you want the empty track to be, and finally move the selected content up or down one track. As long as you have Snap turned on in Timeline it's usually pretty easy to move the content straight up or down without getting it out of alignment. The end result is the same as if you had inserted a track in the middle.

In your case you could insert just an audio track before the first track, select all content in the first four audio tracks, and then move it up one track. You can then rename those four tracks back to their original names. Not as straightforward as you want, but it will work.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Little Nac » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi Dave.
Thank you for the reply. My apologies, I posted it in PE4 accidentally, it should have been in PE7.
I tried what you said about inserting the track before the first one and it worked OK. But it renamed Video 1 and Audio 1 to Video 2 and Audio 2. Then I couldn't rename them back to 1. I had to rename them to Video/Audio 1a which worked until I renamed my other Tracks.
Then I renamed Audio 2 back to Audio 1 and that was OK, but I can not rename Video 2 back to Video 1. When I try, it just puts back in the "a".
My Tracks from the top are now as follows: Video 8, Audio 8; Video 7, Audio 7; Video 6, Video 5, Video 4, Video 1a (this is the main Timeline), Audio 1a; Narration, Music, Sound Effects, Smart Sounds.
Any further suggestions, that may be helpful?
Thanks again Dave.
Regards.

If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Track names are only that - just names. They don't actually affect what's on the track or what you do with it. They're for convenience. Can you live with them as they are to get you through this project? Everything will return to the defaults with the next project that you start.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Little Nac » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Dave.
Yes I can live with them. In future I will do what my better half does, and insert them right at the beginning when she is setting up the Project.
I guess I just like everything right. There must be a reason why I can't change them, but it's OK for the project, so I will sit with it.
Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
Little Nac

Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:23 pm

I don't know exactly why either, which is why I suggested just living with it for this project. If this was a major obstacle that we needed to get past we'd certainly pursue it.

Dave McElderry

Return to Prior Versions