They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE3 capture/crash

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

PE3 capture/crash

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi,

I tried to upload some dv footage this afternoon and PE3 just started closing again and again. Here are the error messages. Currently this has me going round in circles. Everytime Adobe creates a copy project it closes again, and the cycle of error messages repeats -

Help appreciated!

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: PE3 capture/crash

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi Ric - Can you repost your screen captures large enough to read? We can't see enough detail to know what's going on. Also, what's the source of your video? Have you done this successfully before, or is this a first attempt?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Hi Ric - Can you repost your screen captures large enough to read? We can't see enough detail to know what's going on. Also, what's the source of your video? Have you done this successfully before, or is this a first attempt?

thanks Dave

hope this is a better screenshot

more to follow

video source is DV tape in Canon MV830i cam firewired to XP P4 machine: done this loads of times & never had a problem before.

this blip seems to have completely freaked PE3, it won't open old or new projects now, just the error messages which close the program when clicked 'OK'

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:16 pm

here are the other error messages:

& then the cycle just repeats in a loop of error messages and copies of project copies

please advise

thanks
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:48 pm

i have also tried to capture this footage to another software - it tried to remotely boot the video tape then froze, then it wouldn't recognise the cam / media after this - am completely foxed

about an hour ago tried to load PE3 onto another XP P4 - the disc remained inert and would not open

ye gads - will be falling back on my old VHS cam at this rate :-8

so i have my nice footage perfectly taped on a dv cam where i can watch it on the cam viewer no worries - but no way to save it to pc?

:(
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:53 pm

i unhitched the cam and tried to open an old saved project on PE3 - that closed as well - the whole program seems to have gone down ...
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Ric, if it won't open old or new projects then it's not the DV source file. Or I suppose you could have multiple problems, but let's not go there yet. There are a number of things to try. First check to make sure that you have plenty of hard disk space available. If that's okay, try deleting the preferences file by holding Ctrl-Shift while you start the program. Have you installed any recent updates such as QuickTime? There have been numerous instances of some program updates causing problems with PrEl. It's also possible that the PrEl program itself is corrupted. Uninstalling and reinstalling is a quick and easy thing to do and it won't affect your project files. These are the obvious things and a good place to start.

Here's also a thread which may help.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=5324

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Ric, if it won't open old or new projects then it's not the DV source file. Or I suppose you could have multiple problems, but let's not go there yet. There are a number of things to try. First check to make sure that you have plenty of hard disk space available. If that's okay, try deleting the preferences file by holding Ctrl-Shift while you start the program. Have you installed any recent updates such as QuickTime? There have been numerous instances of some program updates causing problems with PrEl. It's also possible that the PrEl program itself is corrupted. Uninstalling and reinstalling is a quick and easy thing to do and it won't affect your project files. These are the obvious things and a good place to start.

Here's also a thread which may help.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=5324

Thanks Dave - it looks to me as if the tape i was using is 'odd' - neither Adobe nor Roxio can download from it - yet i was happily editing footage from this tape yesterday and have downloaded no other programs since

BUT my other major concern is that the PE3 CD does not appear to be working either - what is going on? - if i uninstall PE3 there is no guarantee i can load it again from the disc???

continues...
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:09 pm

continues...

just loaded a new tape into the cam - Roxio will not recoginise it

am operating this cam without date or time controls - have not set these - could this be confusing the software?

but equally i have often recorded 'live' from this cam via firewire, not using tapes at all - i just do not understand what is going on here

AAAGH!
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:30 pm

PE3 disc working on my main XP - just did a 'repair' instead of uninstall/re-install & will update
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:42 pm

kr236rk wrote:PE3 disc working on my main XP - just did a 'repair' instead of uninstall/re-install & will update

didn't work - will now uninstall then re-install PE3 (fingers crossed)
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Ric, the preferences file will not be deleted when you do the uninstall. That's why I said to do the Ctrl-Shift thing first. Did you try that?

Dave McElderry

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Ric, the preferences file will not be deleted when you do the uninstall. That's why I said to do the Ctrl-Shift thing first. Did you try that?

Affirmative > had no effect

I deleted preferences on uninstall and am about to re-install from CD

[Think the disc reader in the other XP is not a full dvd-rom which is why it couldn't recognise the PE3 disc]
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Don't forget to also install the patch to bring it to 3.02. If you don't have the patch, it's at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565.

If you delete the preferences file, it will automatically be recreated next time you start the program. You don't have to reinstall. The preferences file does get corrupted from time to time and can cause problems such as this. There was an error in Version 3 that caused this error message when selecting a DVD menu among other things. The patch fixed that.
Bob

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:32 pm

the point at which everything went haywire was when i attempted to add some extra footage from the cam to a pre-existing project

the program didn't like it, so i opened a new project folder for the new footage, with the idea of downloading the cam footage, saving it as a PE file, then importing it into the original project.

but i never got that far

is loading footage for editing into a project already opened a no-no?

there's obviously something i'm doing wrong somewhere #-o
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to Prior Versions