They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Version differences

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Version differences

Postby AVITRY » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:30 am

I am posting this under the "Prior Versions" heading since my question is regarding more than one version.

I'm thinking about trying the new version 9 of PE but I would like to ask a few questions since I am able to purchase vers. 7 much cheaper what exactly are the differences and benefits of each of these versions?

I am currently using vers. 3 and it seems fine and stable to me. Stability is always a concern, as is how fast the program runs on my older P4 3ghz with 4 gigs memory.

As you all may or may not know, 90% of what I do are VHS to DVD conversions that require simple edits. The most complicated of which are usually audio related. As hunt and peck as I am, I can get all this done in vers.3

Since I know nothing really of the newer versions, things that may tend to make me upgrade would be, firstly native mpeg editing, and secondly other native format editing.

I wonder if anyone would elaborate on vers. 3 - 7 - and 9 regarding speed, stability, native editing formats, and just general enhancements that may be worth the upgrade.

thanks,
joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Version differences

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:30 am

This article covers them in broadstrokes, Joe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiere_Elements

But, again, my advice is, unless you have a desire for some of the more advanced features, stay with your stable product. Don't upgrade just to get the latest version. For the most part, from version 3, those new features deal with working with hi-def, AVCHD and, in version 9, non-traditional sources like Flip cams.

But you're not going to see greater speed or performance with just basic DV editing.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks Steve, I'll check out the link. Am I assuming correctly that later versions don't offer native mpeg editing then?
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:30 pm

Only for AVCHD video (in version 9) which, although technically MPEGs, are usually listed as MTS or M2T files.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions