They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Anti Flicker Filter - Automatically Set?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Anti Flicker Filter - Automatically Set?

Postby EleanorAliza » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:30 am

Hi Everyone,
In my topic "Resizing Photos for PE4 Slideshow" Steve Grisetti recommends >RC photo >show properties >move anti flicker filter all the way to the right = 1.00 setting. He also states you can copy the settings to all other clips by copy & paste methods.

If you have already added different effects to other clips will it change the other motion settings in all the clips to the same as the one you copied from? or will it only add the anti flicker % change. Some of my clips are landscape some portrait so anchor points are different and effects chosen are different. I am assuming if you copy and paste from one clip that the exact settings will then be changed to that exact setting in all the clips. I figure this will not work. Am I correct?

Is there a way to add anti-flicker filter 1.00 to all clips at this point, other than rc each one. I noticed that after you add a motion effect there are two motion drop downs in the properties menu. Do you have to change each one?

Exactly what does this filter do, and is it worth all the work to change?

Thanks, Alizqa
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Re: Anti Flicker Filter - Automatically Set?

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:04 pm

As a substitute for anit flicker, you can use the Fast Blur effect. Set the direction property to Vertical only. Experiment with blur values between 0 and 1.0. For really tough flicker, you will have to go over 1.0.

To copy the Fast Blur effect from one photo to all the other photos, you need to go to the properties panel and copy the Fast Blur effect. Next, select all the photos on the timeline (CTRL-A), and deselect the photo you just copied so you don't paste a duplicate to it. Finally, from the main menu do a Edit > Paste. You cannot paste by right-clicking on a photo on the timeline.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:36 pm

You only need the anti-flicker filter on interlaced output and then only when you have noticible flicker. Progressive output doesn't need it. Flicker occurs when you have fine horizontal detail and a line shows up in one field of an interlaced pair but not the other so it flickers on and off. Anti-filcker applies a slight amount of blur to the image to smear the fine detail so you don't have a well defined off and on scan line.
Bob

Postby EleanorAliza » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Bob wrote:You only need the anti-flicker filter on interlaced output and then only when you have noticible flicker. Progressive output doesn't need it. Flicker occurs when you have fine horizontal detail and a line shows up in one field of an interlaced pair but not the other so it flickers on and off. Anti-filcker applies a slight amount of blur to the image to smear the fine detail so you don't have a well defined off and on scan line.

Hi Bob,
Wow that is a very technical answer. I am a newbie so I really don't now what interlaced output or progressive output is. I am doing a slideshow of only photos, no video. I am using some pan with zoom, but mostly zoom on almost all photo clips. When I view the slideshow in the monitor window I sometimes see a little flicker here and there in a photo. I thought that was what the anti flicker filter corrected. Is that what you are talking about? If it appears on my computer monitor like that will the final burned DVD look like that on TV also, or is it just because it is on a computer monitor.

If this is what I need to do, can I do this.
1. Import all photos again as new project with Default Scale to Frame Size unchecked.
2. Place all photos into sceneline in the order I want them.
3. Right click on first photo, select show properties, select motion properties, slide anti flicker filter to
1.00 and hit done.
4. Then right click on that photo again in timeline, select copy.
5. Then select all other photos using CTL-A, right click and select Paste Attibutes.

Then begin adding pans & zooms etc. Do you have to do the anti-flicker filter to each new motion effect also? I know when I add a zoom it adds another motion properties box above the original one. Which then has another anti-flicker filter slider thing.

Thanks a lot for any clarification you can give me. I am trying to learn and produce a great final result at the same time. Don't know if that is possible. So much to learn, so little time.
Aliza
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:16 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to be overly technical.

Flicker is a rapid flashing on and off of a thin horizontal line or a portion of a horizontal line. You normally see it where a dark color is immediately adjacent to a light color or where you have a pattern with thin horizontal details. It's very annoying. If that's what you are seeing, you have flicker. And that's what the anti flicker is meant to correct.

It's difficult to judge flicker on your computer monitor. It's best to view the video on the TV to see if you see flicker there or to determine whether you've eliminated the flicker. Sometimes you will see flicker on one screen and not the other because of the different way the computor monitor and TV work.

You only need to apply anti flicker to those slides that actually show flicker. Anti flicker does blur the image slightly, so it's best if you only use it where necessary. If you still see flicker on your pan and zoomed slides after using anti flicker, try using RJ Johnston's suggestion of using the blur effect. Put the blur effect on last after the pan and zooms.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:40 am

In my experience flicker problems can't be judged well from what you see in the monitor preview. You'll only know for sure what you've got after you've put the project in its final form and it's being viewed on the intended device. I've done quite a few of the still picture/slideshows burned to DVD and played to TV, or output to file and played on multimedia projector from a computer. For the far greatest number of these flicker has not been a problem. My suggestion would be to not go to the trouble of applying anti-flicker techniques at all until you've seen the project in final form.

After you've done more of this kind of work you'll have a good feel for what needs to be done during project creation. In the meantime I'd suggest not applying any anti-flicker, creating enough of your show to get a good sample, and outputting a trial. If that means burning a DVD then it's probably worth it to see what you've got. Even the best brands are pretty inexpensive nowadays.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby EleanorAliza » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:20 am

Thank you both for your replies.
As suggested I will finish the slideshow, burn to folder, burn to DVD and view on a TV screen.
I agree, no use fixing what might not be broken.
What I am seeing, and it seems only on indoor shots with flourescent lighting, is a little shake effect around ceiling light fixtures or where there is a horizontal dark line against a lighter color. Not even really noticeable by other people I had look at the monitor preview.
I will take your suggestion and wait till it is finished and view on TV. If noticeable I will correct those photos only and reburn to folder.
Thanks again,
Aliza
PS: Sorry, did not mean to offend about technical jargon.
EleanorAliza

Return to Prior Versions