They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rendering Problem

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Rendering Problem

Postby EleanorAliza » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have been working on a project, periodically rendering, I read that you could delete the rendered files by going into >timeline >delete render files and then re-render anew. When I went to render the whole project again, it only did a few photo clips in the very beginning (I am doing a slideshow). I checked the timeline view and noticed that it only rendered up to where the timeline ruler pointer stopped (which was only a few clips into the slideshow). I had been in the timeline earlier fooling around with the current time indicator and I might have dragged the timeline ruler backwards to the beginning of the slideshow. Now when I add more photo clips, transitions etc the timeline ruler doesn't move with them. To get the render to work after I add clips etc. I have to physically drag the little point at the end of the ruler past the clips, then it will render and turn green. What did I touch to make the ruler not move along with the clips I am adding?

Thanks Aliza
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Re: Rendering Problem

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Aliza, for further reference, the area that you're referring to as the ruler is known as the Work Area Bar (WAB). Not a big deal, but now you'll know what people are talking about when they use the term. Zoom out on your project until the entire project can be seen in the timeline. Then double-click on the WAB and it will expand to cover the entire project. You should then be able to render the entire project.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby EleanorAliza » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Aliza, for further reference, the area that you're referring to as the ruler is known as the Work Area Bar (WAB). Not a big deal, but now you'll know what people are talking about when they use the term. Zoom out on your project until the entire project can be seen in the timeline. Then double-click on the WAB and it will expand to cover the entire project. You should then be able to render the entire project.

Thanks for the clarification. I did what you suggested and yes it works. But why do I have to do that now, when before whenever I added a clip etc all I had to do was hit enter and it rendered right up to the newest clip I put in? Did I change a setting somehow by mistake?

Thanks Aliza
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:51 pm

EleanorAliza wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I did what you suggested and yes it works. But why do I have to do that now, when before whenever I added a clip etc all I had to do was hit enter and it rendered right up to the newest clip I put in? Did I change a setting somehow by mistake?

It's by design. If you manually adjust the WAB by dragging either the left or right end, it will stay that length even if you add to or change the timeline content. The purpose is that you can specify a portion of the timeline for specific functions. For example, you can export your project as a file, and in the export options you can specify to only export the portion under the WAB. It sounds like you accidently dragged the right end of the WAB until it was up against the left end, essentially making it have a length of zero.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby EleanorAliza » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:
EleanorAliza wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I did what you suggested and yes it works. But why do I have to do that now, when before whenever I added a clip etc all I had to do was hit enter and it rendered right up to the newest clip I put in? Did I change a setting somehow by mistake?

It's by design. If you manually adjust the WAB by dragging either the left or right end, it will stay that length even if you add to or change the timeline content. The purpose is that you can specify a portion of the timeline for specific functions. For example, you can export your project as a file, and in the export options you can specify to only export the portion under the WAB. It sounds like you accidently dragged the right end of the WAB until it was up against the left end, essentially making it have a length of zero.

Thanks so much for all this info. I understand now. The WAB must have been extended the full length when I started my project. I must have dragged one end or the other towards each other, thereby making it only ten or so clips long in the very beginning of the clip area, so when I added new photo clips at about the five minute area, they did not render. I have now dragged it out to cover the full visible length. If I notice it is not light grey when I am working in that area I will drag it out some more.

I think I know the answer for my question about the minutes on the timeline. It seems that as you add more clips the actual timeline extends its minutes. Is this correct?

Thank you so much again,
Aliza
EleanorAliza

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:15 pm

That's correct about the timeline extending to whatever length it needs to be. On the original topic, if you use the double-click method that I described the WAB will go back into the "automatic" mode and will also expand as you add more media to the timeline.

EDIT: See post below.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:25 pm

I take that back. I'm not sure how to get the WAB to go back into automatic mode. Maybe someone else will know.

Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:00 pm

You need to zoom completely out as far as you can and then double click on the Work Area Bar, it will then extend the full length of the project.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:49 am

Chuck Engels wrote:You need to zoom completely out as far as you can and then double click on the Work Area Bar, it will then extend the full length of the project.

That's what I said in my first reply (see above). The problem is that after you manually adjust the WAB it stops automatically adjusting to cover the entire project as you add new media. I don't know if there's a way to get it back into that mode.

Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:47 am

What if you close the project and then open it up again?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:52 am

Dave McElderry wrote:
Chuck Engels wrote:You need to zoom completely out as far as you can and then double click on the Work Area Bar, it will then extend the full length of the project.

That's what I said in my first reply (see above). The problem is that after you manually adjust the WAB it stops automatically adjusting to cover the entire project as you add new media. I don't know if there's a way to get it back into that mode.

Why would you want the WAB to cover the entire project? I render a few photos at a time to check the timing, pans/zooms and then when I render out the next few photos alt+[ for the beginning & alt+] for the end of the WAB.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:07 am

Chuck Engels wrote:What if you close the project and then open it up again?

No luck. I just tried it in both V7 and V9. I even tried completely closing and reopening the programs. It seems that once you've manually adjusted the WAB it can only be adjusted manually. I know I've personally had this issue before, but never spent any time trying to find out if there was a solution. Veteran users tend to learn to make sure the WAB covers the desired material, but I can certainly see how this could be a real stumbling point for newbies.

Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:14 am

I've sent an email to Adobe asking if there is a way to reset this.
If not maybe they can work on fixing it for the next version.
Thanks Dave :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:28 am

Chuck Engels wrote:I've sent an email to Adobe asking if there is a way to reset this.
If not maybe they can work on fixing it for the next version.
Thanks Dave :)

Thank YOU Chuck. :TU:

Dave McElderry

Postby Jayell » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:57 am

momoffduty wrote:Why would you want the WAB to cover the entire project? I render a few photos at a time to check the timing, pans/zooms and then when I render out the next few photos alt+[ for the beginning & alt+] for the end of the WAB.

My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't have the patience to constantly re-render and review the entire timeline ;).
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Prior Versions