They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Slideshow - Zoom In & Zoom Out, what size??

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Slideshow - Zoom In & Zoom Out, what size??

Postby EleanorAliza » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Hello Again,
On my slideshow I want to use zoom in and zoom out to give appearance of video rather than just still photos going by. I think I have been sucessful trying this out. But my question is this:

1. I am using resized photos at 1000x750 landscape, 750x1000 portrait photos. I have left the default check mark in "Default scale to frame size" What size zoom should I use, they offer many. I have been using 640x480 for landscape and portrait photos. I can't see any difference between horizontal and vertical zoom. Are you suppose to use vertical 480x640 for portrait photos??
What happens if you use the other sizes, what is the black borders that show up around the photos when using larger numbers? How will the black appear on the TV screen when burnt to DVD?

2. If you uncheck Default Scale to Frame Size, a lot of the photo is missing in the preview monitor. But will the full photo appear on the TV when you burn to DVD? If you uncheck this option, how can you tell what your video is going to look like, ie: when applying effects or transitions etc?

I just want an easy way to make the photos move across or in and out, so it is not so boring.

Any suggesions??
Aliza
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Re: Slideshow - Zoom In & Zoom Out, what size??

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:33 pm

You should make sure Default to Frame Size is NOT checked, Aliza. Don't worry if your photo is too large for the video frame. The pans and zooms will fix that.

We have a set of custom pan & zoom effects that are tailor-made for 1000x750 photos. You'll find them here:
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

Just unzip the file and follow the instructions inside to install them.

Once you've installed them in Premiere Elements, you'll find them under Edit/Effects/My Presets, and you can apply each just by dragging it onto a clip. (You may need to manually tweak the pan & zoom on the 750x1000 photos.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:46 pm

There is also a Pan And Zoom Theme that works very well :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:57 pm

There are 4 tutorials on pans & zooms. It is easier to explain in the tutorial by watching someone than in words.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=6
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 pm

Ooops ! I don't think the themes were available in version 4, sorry :oops:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby EleanorAliza » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:You should make sure Default to Frame Size is NOT checked, Aliza. Don't worry if your photo is too large for the video frame. The pans and zooms will fix that.

We have a set of custom pan & zoom effects that are tailor-made for 1000x750 photos. You'll find them here:

Once you've installed them in Premiere Elements, you'll find them under Edit/Effects/My Presets, and you can apply each just by dragging it onto a clip. (You may need to manually tweak the pan & zoom on the 750x1000 photos.)

Hi Steve,
I have already done 100 photo clips with the Default to Frame Size CHECKED. I have used the 640x480 and it looks good on the monitor. Will it look like this on the TV? I really don't want to start over for the third time. I had orginally did what you suggested in your book but could not see the photos in full view. How can you view your stills on the monitor if all you can see is a part of the clip??? I don't pan & zoom on every clip. I thought what you see on the monitor preview is what you get. How do you design your slideshow if you uncheck the Default option? I could only see small parts of the photo when I tried that. This is veryyyyyyyyyy confusing. LOL
I will download your pan & zoom for our photo size. But I need some clarification on how to view the full photo if I uncheck the Default option. Sorry for being a little dense on this subject.

Aliza
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:45 am

I hope this will not confuse you, Aliza -- but you are chasing several issues at once.

1) You can use Scale to Frame Size and/or photos sized to 640x480 if you don't plan to do any panning and zooming. The photos will just appear as slides.
2) If you do plan to pan and zoom, you need to have photos that are larger than your video frame and you'll need to have Scale to Frame Size turned off. (If you think about it, this will make sense.) Although this can be challenging, since you'll only see a portion of each photo in your monitor, there are ways to make all of the photos temporarily shrink to about frame size so that you can add your pans and zooms to them.

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish -- a still photo slideshow or one that includes some motion across each photo.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby EleanorAliza » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:You should make sure Default to Frame Size is NOT checked, Aliza. Don't worry if your photo is too large for the video frame. The pans and zooms will fix that.

Hi Steve,
I downloaded the custom set of pan & zoom. I can't figure out how to install them. Where is PE4 Effects & Transition Panel? I cannot find anything other than an icon for Effects and one for Transitions inside the Edit Tab. I cannot find a MORE button. Are there different directions for PE4.

Also, is there a way to uncheck Default Scale to Frame Size on the photos I have already added and worked on? Or do I need to start over again.

Am I correct in assuming that when you add photos at 1000x750 whether you use Default Scale to Frame Size or don't, PE4 will output them at the standard dimensions of Digital Video: 720x480.
But if you use Default Scale to Frame Size and pan/zoom using the 640x480 preset you might lose some of the photo and it will not look like it does on the Monitor screen.
Also, if you uncheck Default Scale option, you said to go in and scale to 65%, do you do this for each Motion option under each picture. Is there a way to view your final slideshow without changing the scale in each photo?
Thanks .
Aliza

PS: I found the answer on how to install presets in PE4:

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Lens flare to 'take a picture'
by Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:24 pm
Hi Robino, Welcome to Muvipix

I'm not sure that the presets from version 2 will work in version 4 but it is worth a shot.
While in the Effects Panel click the drop down list for Video, Audio, Presets, My Presets...
Open 'My Presets' then right click anywhere in the empty space and select 'Import Preset'.
Just browse to the preset file that you downloaded. Then you only have to open My Presets and drag and drop the preset on any clip.

Let us know if you have any problems. There might be someone that has done the Flash effect in version 4 and would be willing to share

Note: I had to import one at a time but it worked.
EleanorAliza

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Unfortunately, in version 4 there's no quick way to change Scale to Frame Size except one photo at a time. (The alternative is to delete them all from your project, turn off the Scale to Frame Size preference and then re-import the photos into your project.) In newer versions of the program, you can select several clips and turn this feature on and off for all at once.

Unfortunately, we're chasing so many issues here that trying to fix things for your work-in-progress may be more difficult than it's worth.

Are you completely adverse to starting the project over, using the project preferences we recommend and then using the pans & zooms pack you've downloaded?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby EleanorAliza » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Unfortunately, in version 4 there's no quick way to change Scale to Frame Size except one photo at a time. (The alternative is to delete them all from your project, turn off the Scale to Frame Size preference and then re-import the photos into your project.) In newer versions of the program, you can select several clips and turn this feature on and off for all at once.

Unfortunately, we're chasing so many issues here that trying to fix things for your work-in-progress may be more difficult than it's worth.

Are you completely adverse to starting the project over, using the project preferences we recommend and then using the pans & zooms pack you've downloaded?

Good Evening Steve,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. While I was waiting I made a test copy of my current project and tried your suggestions. I found I could uncheck the Default to Frame Size individually in the Timeline. So I added another photo at the end of the project, unchecked the Default option, used your 1000x750 My Presets (very very cool from corners etc, Thank You for those) that I downloaded.
After applying the preset, I can finally understand what you were so patiently trying to tell me. At first the photo was cut off a lot in the monitor preview panel, but after applying the "zoom center in" I could view enough to get a good idea of what the final DVD would look like. I right clicked the photo clip >show properties >motion and saw it was at 70%, I tried the 65% and yes, I could view the full photo as it would look in the final DVD. But as you said, I really don't need to do that, the 70% is good enough to get a pretty clear preview.

How do I tweak the 1000x750 presets for 750x1000 resized portrait photos that I want to zoom?

And NO, I am not adverse to starting over, now that I know kind of what I am doing LOL! YEAH!!!

Do you also have Pan Presets for 1000x750??? If not, what size should I use to pan? How about PIP's, can I just use the ones that are listed in PE4.

Also, can you explain the difference between the listed Horizontal zoom and vertical zoom offerings.

I am so very grateful for all the advice and help I have found here. Your book was the best investment ever!!!!

Oops, almost forgot. Do you only accept paypal, or can I use a credit card to become a subscriber???

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
Aliza
EleanorAliza

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:56 am

Currently we are only accepting subscription payments through PayPal, Aliza. But thank you for supporting the site!

From what you're telling me, there may be no need to re-start your project after all. It sounds like you've got things back under control.

It also sounds like you're well on the way to figuring out how to tweak the pan and zoom presets for your portrait photos. It really is as simple as opening the Properties panel, going to each Motion preset and customizing the Scale and Position settings. So it sounds like you're coming along quite well with this project!

As for the difference between a horizontal and a vertical zoom -- if you're talking about the program's presets, I'm not sure there is any difference at all, as far as movement. There may be some sideways motion as opposed to some up or down motion, but I'm not sure.

Anyway and regardless, I'm glad to hear you're getting a handle on your project!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:46 am

EleanorAliza wrote:
Oops, almost forgot. Do you only accept paypal, or can I use a credit card to become a subscriber???

You can use a Credit Card through PayPal :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby EleanorAliza » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Good Morning Steve,
I have decided to start a different project, unchecking the default scale to frame size option.

1. What do I use for a left to right straight across or up and down pan effect? The presets I downloaded only have zooms from the corners or center effects. If I use the ones in the program what setting do I choose since these are 1000x750 and there is not an option for that size?

2. Are the PIP effects usage the same for both unchecking or checking the default scale to frame size option?

3. When I add the "1000x750 center in" preset it adds a new motion tab above the one that is in the original clip. On landscape pics I adjust nothing, but on portrait pics I am doing this: according to your book, page 115: In the sceneline I >rightclick the photo >show properties >hilite original motion tab (bottom one) >click on the photo in the monitor and drag the white outline to cover the black along the sides. Now the photo fills the monitor as if it was a landscape 1000x750. I realize if I want to view the full length of the portrait photo I should not resize it, but leave the black bands on each side which will appear black on the TV screen. Is this correct??? Can you insert a color clip on Video 2 to change that black to a nice color?

I realize I am importing 1000x750 pixels and the monitor is only 720x480 viewing size and if i want to see exactly what 720x480 will look like I can go into the lowest motion tab and slide scale to 65% Is this correct?

Is what I am now seeing on the monitor going to be what the TV will show when burnt to a DVD?

Now a totally different question concerning the project I have already finished but not burnt yet. I imported those photos at the Default Scale to Frame size to fit the screen (which I assume is 720x480) and used the presets (mostly 640x480 choices) that come with the program, is what I see on the monitor screen what I will get when I burn? By trying different size options under the presets you get various interesting results also. I understand that you can really fine tune your pans and zooms etc and not lose any of your picture if you do not import at the Scale to frame size. BUT, will you get what you are actually seeing if you use the Scale to Frame Size and the presets that are available in the program?

Last question for now: is there a way to jump to last frame without dragging the bar at the very bottom? I sometimes move the soundtrack bar in error and screw it up and have to click Undo.

I really appreciate all your help.

Aliza
EleanorAliza

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:25 pm

So many questions, Aliza! I'm not sure where to begin.

You really seem to have a handle on how things work. I encourage you to play around with keyframing more. I'm sure it will all become more clear. Check out my book's chapter on keyframing -- because that's all this really amounts to. Creating simple motion paths between keyframes.

You can create your own keyframed motion paths (pans and zooms). Or, starting with an existing preset, you can click on one of the arrow buttons to the right of any property's listing to jump to a keyframe and adjust it. All you're doing is just creating waypoints for the program to create animation between, after all!

And, yes, you can trust what you see in your Monitor, as far as keyframes and picture-in-picture effects. At least after you've rendered the timeline. What you see is what you'll get!

As for jumping to the last frame of your video, that's a simple keyboard shortcut:
The Home key takes you to the beginning of your movie.
The End key takes you to the end.
And Page Up and Page Down jump you from clip to clip on your timeline!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions