They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Using "mod" files in a project

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Using "mod" files in a project

Postby Helen » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:45 am

Hi
I have been given some dvds that contain "mod" files that I need for a project. I used the "Get Media from dvd" option in PE4 to successfully import the files, however, PE4 closes without warning and error messages at different times. I have plenty of free space (nearly 200GB on the video drive and 20GB on C drive) and have defragged.

Would it be better for me to convert the files and then use the converted files? If I should convert them, is avi the way to go?

As a test, I just changed the file extension of one of the mod files to "avi" and I then also used "Free Video Converter" to convert the original file to an avi. I could not see any difference between the three files and they all looked the same on the timeline. The only difference I could see was that the file I converted to avi using "Free Video Converter" was a lot smaller in file size to the original mod file.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Using "mod" files in a project

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:33 am

MOD files are usually from JVC Everios, Helen -- and they are some of the hardest video formats to edit, unfortunately.

Here's what I've written in the past about them. As you can see, the "best" solution involves using Cyberlink, the editing program that comes with the camcorder, to convert them to a more usable format:

For a variety of reasons, MOD files from JVC Everio camcorders can be challenging for many video editors, including Premiere Elements, to work with.

Using CyberLink Power Director Express - a program which comes bundled with the camcorder - capture the video and then place it on the timeline. Then go to File>Produce Movie and at "step 1" select "create a file"

Change the settings as shown to Type II and High Quality 48k. Change settings by clicking on the button two over from

Follow the arrow "right" and give your file a name and location It will output the AVI as a DV-AVI Type II 48kHz PCM.

Import this file into a Premiere Elements project. The program should work easily with it.

To conform your video file for widescreen, drag it to the timeline, right-click on it and set it to "interpret footage as D1/DV PAL (or NTSC) Widescreen 16:9 (1.422)".
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Helen » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks Steve
I will ask the person who gave me the dvds to see if they can do this. If not, do you think converting the file using the Free Video Converter is the next best way to go?
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 am

Before you go the converter route, try just changing the .mod suffix on the files to .mpg and then edit them in a project using the DVD/Hard Drive Camcorder settings.

This works for some people, as the .mod format is close enough to an .mpg to make do.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Helen » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks Steve, I will give that a try
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Prior Versions