They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

basic 3d and anchor point question

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

basic 3d and anchor point question

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:39 am

first, let me apologize if this doesn't make sense...it's after 1 AM and my brain is getting fuzzy...

i want to do a thing where it looks like i'm flipping through dvd cases (like you would do with old timey record albums...flipping front to back and not like a page turn). it would be very basic where you just see the dvd cover, not an actual case. when you get to the one for the "selected" dvd, the "cover" would rise up and then flip back a little and "open" and out comes the dvd and it fades to the start of the movie.

my question is how to make the "cases" flip correctly. when i try it, the case image wants to pivot around the center instead of the bottom. i've tried tinkering with the anchor point but that just seems to move the image up or down. i can work with that and keyframe it so that, as it pivots, the bottom seems to remain in the same place. i was just wondering if this is the correct method, or if there is an easier way?

i'm guessing for the actual "opening" of the "case" i would use the page turn, so i'm not worried about that (yet).

again, i hope this makes sense. i'll go to bed now and let our members around the globe mull this over.

thanks and g'nite!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: basic 3d and anchor point question

Postby Chris B » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 am

Basic 3d is just that - Basic. You don't get control over lots of "3d" things like the pivot point. Chuck has had some success doing page turns that are not centred in his tutorial - I've not investigated what he did.

When I've wanted to "fake" 3d I've calculated where I want the image to go and used "corner PIN". However - you do have to delve into that trigonometry and maths that you thought you'd left well behind in school.

Here's an example I produced a while back
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3799

any my attempt at page turn using the same thing
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5383

Chris.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 am

There is another way that might give you the effect that you are looking for.

In Photoshop set up a background, transparent or coloured as you wish, that is twice the size plus a bit of the DVD case that you want to flip. So if you want to flip vertically have the background 2 x the DVD case height, plus a bit.

Now drag the DVD case image to the lower half of the background and save the image.

Open the image in PrEl and the apply the basic 3d to pivot the case vertically.

PM me with an e-mail address and I will send you screenshots etc. if you need them.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:25 am

Chris B wrote:Basic 3d is just that - Basic. You don't get control over lots of "3d" things like the pivot point. Chuck has had some success doing page turns that are not centred in his tutorial - I've not investigated what he did.

When I've wanted to "fake" 3d I've calculated where I want the image to go and used "corner PIN". However - you do have to delve into that trigonometry and maths that you thought you'd left well behind in school.

Here's an example I produced a while back
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3799

any my attempt at page turn using the same thing
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5383

Chris.

Thanks Chris - I'll check the links. Boy, I thought this was a simple idea. Oh well; never hurts to review my math skills. :lol:
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:26 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:There is another way that might give you the effect that you are looking for.

In Photoshop set up a background, transparent or coloured as you wish, that is twice the size plus a bit of the DVD case that you want to flip. So if you want to flip vertically have the background 2 x the DVD case height, plus a bit.

Now drag the DVD case image to the lower half of the background and save the image.

Open the image in PrEl and the apply the basic 3d to pivot the case vertically.

PM me with an e-mail address and I will send you screenshots etc. if you need them.

Thanks John...I PM'ed you.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions