They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Flash-memory Camcorders and PE4

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Flash-memory Camcorders and PE4

Postby boogieted » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:58 pm

I have just ordered the Canon Vixia HF20. This is my first flash-memory camcorder, after using miniDV for several years. I was just wondering if I should expect any complications with this camera and PE4? I will be shooting mostly standard-def (for now anyway). I wondered if the import process was complicated and slow, or easier than importing tape? Any information you can give me will be helpful. Also, if it is advisable, I would be willing to upgrade to a later version of Premiere Elements.

By the way, I am running PE 4 on a 32-bit Windows XP system, 3.2 Ghz, 3.5 GB RAM.

Thanks!
boogieted

Re: Flash-memory Camcorders and PE4

Postby Paul LS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Your biggest problem is that PE4 will not work with the AVCHD format from the HF20. You will need to convert the video before importing into PE4. AVCHD support only started with PE7.

If you want to edit in HD then convert to HDV MPEG2... otherwise conevrt to standard definition DV-AVI. There are some free converters if you dont have one.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby alaskamovieguy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:50 pm

I wondered if the import process was complicated and slow, or easier than importing tape?

I have the same camera and the 'import' is very easy. Instead of capturing as you do from tape you simply 'transfer' the files using the software supplied with the camera to a folder of your choice. The supplied software is easy to use and you have the option of transfering only files you haven't already transfered so you don't have to try and keep track of them.
Azus Sabertooth X58 1366 MB, 12GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Intel i7 960 CPU, Nividia GTX 470 Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD Primary Drive, 2- 10,000 RPM 300GB Velicoraptors in RAID 0, Seagate 500GB internal, 750W PSU, Win 7 Pro, BDH 20 burner, Canon HF20 HD camera.
alaskamovieguy

Postby boogieted » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 pm

If I am going to use PE8, then do I actually need to use the transfer software included with the camera?
boogieted

Postby rusty » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:54 pm

I have an HF10 which also records AVCHD to flash memory, and I edit with Premiere Elements 7. I actually use the supplied software to capture from the camera rather than PE as I find it very quick and easy to use. Others use PE. Both work fine - it's just a matter of preference.
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:37 am

Me too, I use the Sony software that came with the AVCHD camcorder for getting the clips off the camcorder... it has a nice library and organizer. I then import them manually into Premiere Elements.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby boogieted » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:28 pm

I needed to briefly re-open this topic because I am banging my head against the wall to try to get this to work.
I am using the Canon Vixia HF20 to shoot in 24p HD. But from time to time I want to import into PE7 and make an SD video. Finding a way to get this video imported from the camcorder is what is frustrating me. it seems that no matter how I import from the camera, the files are in .mts format which doesn't work in PE7 i guess.

I need advice. Thanks.
boogieted

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:22 am

The best advice might be to upgrade to version 9! Version 9 includes project settings for 24p AVC footage.

Otherwise, are you saying you've tried Get Media/From AVCHD Camcorder and that doesn't launch the Media Downloader for you? (One more pitch for version 9: The Media Downloader has been replaced by the more powerful Video Importer.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions