They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

audio-visual sound track editing?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

audio-visual sound track editing?

Postby kr236rk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:22 am

Hi,

if i have a digital video i filmed with a soundtrack, can i detach (if i need to?) the audio so that i can work on it in a separate audio program please?

for (silly) example, if i had a movie of someone playing a tambourine, could i extract or copy the tambourine audio, dub a harmonica to it, then plonk it back on the time line as a wav file, for instance?

if i used a parallel audio line i could leave the original in place as an audio template?

thanks

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: audio-visual sound track editing?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:58 am

Ric, one way to achieve this is to:-

Import the video clip into PrEl;
Click on the clip and select 'Unlink'
Deselect the clip then select the video part of the clip and clear it; that should leave just the audio on the timeline;
Export the audio and save it as appropriate;
Import the saved audio into your audio software.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Ron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:51 am

For your example, why not just add the harmonica to a separate audio track in the video?
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kr236rk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:11 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Ric, one way to achieve this is to:-

Import the video clip into PrEl;
Click on the clip and select 'Unlink'
Deselect the clip then select the video part of the clip and clear it; that should leave just the audio on the timeline;
Export the audio and save it as appropriate;
Import the saved audio into your audio software.

brilliant! thanks John, i can actually follow that through in my mind's eye ;)

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Ron wrote:For your example, why not just add the harmonica to a separate audio track in the video?

thanks: that would be a possibility Ron but for something more layered i'd like to work in a mixing software programme such as MixCraft where you can mix / dub / multiple track quite extensively then save the results as a wav file

there is a big issue of sound-visual synchronisation of course, but if i reload the original video clip to PE3 and match the original audio line to the multitracked version i can then mute the orignal audio (template) or delete it entirely?

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:57 pm

.. if i reload the original video clip to PE3 and match the original audio line to the multitracked version i can then mute the orignal audio (template) or delete it entirely?

Yes. Unlink the video and audio, select just the audio and delete it. If you did not change the length or offset when you made the mix from the original audio track, it should stay in sync. Just drop it on an available audio track and align it with the video track. If you wish, you could even drop it back into the same audio track as the original and relink the audio and video.

By the way, you don't need to unlink and delete the video to export the audio. Simply go to file>export>audio. The default is a wav file.
Bob

Postby kr236rk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:08 am

Bob wrote:
.. if i reload the original video clip to PE3 and match the original audio line to the multitracked version i can then mute the orignal audio (template) or delete it entirely?

Yes. Unlink the video and audio, select just the audio and delete it. If you did not change the length or offset when you made the mix from the original audio track, it should stay in sync. Just drop it on an available audio track and align it with the video track. If you wish, you could even drop it back into the same audio track as the original and relink the audio and video.

By the way, you don't need to unlink and delete the video to export the audio. Simply go to file>export>audio. The default is a wav file.

That's brilliant thanks! It's a pity PE3 can't host H264/MPEG4 or i would use it for everything including uploads to the web.

Unfortunately PE3 is the only XP program which will run 'Granite Bay' plug-ins which i use a lot and are great :)

Best regards,

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

update - Re: audio-visual sound track editing?

Postby kr236rk » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:03 am

some success :cool:

some audio recording interface :pull:

but basically :tup:

copy/exported raw cam audio as wav file and added a track (instrument) to it, taking great care not to distort the original audio line in any way, apart from modifying the volume and equalizing out some background noise.

then re-imported wav to PE3 and slotted it onto the number 2 audio line below the original audio, which i did not know how to mute, so i just dragged the audio line down to zero.

number 2 audio was 100% in synch with the action and sounded, well, great - what an amazing thing to do, remove the audio from a home movie and plug it into a studio-style software! \:D/

the sweat was trying to get my audio interface to interact with the pc, which it wouldn't, and i had to transfer the wav to another computer, same o/s, which got on ok with the interface. the interface has its own drivers and these conflict with the default drivers resulting in audio limbo, took me about 3 hours to double track 5 minutes of music ~ the secret is to only use one pc for audio studio work, thank goodness i kept my old P3 :-8 it has taken me several years to work that one out, but video might be levelling out for me now on the audio side of things [hope] ;)

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Prior Versions