They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creating a Lipsync Video

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Creating a Lipsync Video

Postby JSS » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:53 pm

I am attempting to create a video montage with stills and clips, and want to finish the show with video using a clip with people (various friends) lip syncing a song. In conducting some tests, I have figured out how to bring in the song (in this case, "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey) into the project and delete the audio from the filmed portion, and then, in a rudimentary way, synching the song with the person who is lip synching.

But most of my efforts are trial and error. I try to find where the person is enunciating a lyric, find that on the song, and then put the audio under the appropriate videoclip. But how do I move around, or synchronize everything more efficiently? What commands should I be using to:

* move the video clips around. I've tried stretching it, but I don't think I am doing it right. How do I move a whole clip?
* move the audio clip around.

Finally, on an unrelated topic, how do I insert a new clip at the beginning of the project?

Thanks for all your help.

Jack
JSS
New User
New User

Re: Creating a Lipsync Video

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi Jack, Welcome to Muvipix :meet:

This sounds like a fun and interesting project.
Something a little ambitious for being new to the program, good for you :TU:

It's usually best to just jump right in and learn using a project that is meaningful to you.

My guess is that the participants did not sing to the original recording, or you didn't have it playing in the background, correct?
If you had the original playing in the background the participants could have kept good time and it would be much easier to sync up the audio with the recording later in editing.

You are probably doing the best job possible for what you are trying to do, no real shortcuts to syncing up audio and video.

To move a whole clip just left click on the clip and drag. Sometimes you need to hold the CTRL key while you do that, depends on the results you are looking for. Holding the CTRL key or not provide different results, just give it a test.
Remember that CTRL+Z is Undo, just in case you have a problem.

To add a clip to the beginning of the project I need to know if you are using the Timeline or the Sceneline.
In Timeline mode you simply drag the clip the the beginning of the timeline and drop it there, all other clips will move over automatically.

Hope that helps somewhat, I'm sure there will be others along to offer other possible help and solutions :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JSS » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:40 pm

In my initial test, I did have the original recording in the background, and my test subject--my wife--lip synched and tried to keep time. But it was very hard. We had a few verses that worked well, while others did not. I thought that there might be a easier way than trial and error to put it all together.

The idea is to have, at the end of the montage, clips cutting to various people, all lip synching different parts of the song, with the audio running and being as seamless as possible. I plan to film everyone doing the entire song, and then using portions of each group or individiual when I edit it all together. We saw this done once before, and it was really great.

Thanks for your help. And yes, it is ambitious. And it may result in a new computer...
JSS
New User
New User

Postby momoffduty » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi Jack & welcome to Muvipix. As Chuck mentioned, have the recording on in the background. In PrEl, place the song on a track below the video audio and zoom in to match up the sound waves.

There are a bunch of lip dub videos on Vimeo and a few groups. This guy has made many, public lip dubbing using an ipod.

aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby JSS » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:38 pm

This is precisely what I am trying to achieve. I had not thought about comparing the soundwaves from the raw video against the recorded song. Even with different singers, the soundwaves will match up?
JSS
New User
New User

Postby mark hansen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Maybe this would work, depending on how many people you have doing parts... I used this technique for a wedding video to get different cameras synced up...

Instead of taking clips from each camera (I only had three) and try to get the transitions correct...

I put the footage from all camera on a different time line... the whole footage, all stacked on one another. If one camera stopped for a time, I would take the next clip from that, and put in on the time line where it belongs. I used the opacity to view different camera footage by lowering it to zero on tracks above the one I wanted. Some time I went 50% to make sure the sync was correct. (I used something in each angle to help sync it up like a certain person moving or what the preacher said.

Mostly I used the audio from one camera.

Then once I was happy with all of the tracks being synced up correctly, I would use the opacity to transition from one camera to another. I think it really came out nice and received lots comments on that part. (I only did it on the alter part of the ceremony that way)

I think the same style would work for you,,, you said they all had the song to lip sync to. You also said they all did the entire song, so put the entire take for each person on a separate track. Line up the audio (I guess that's what a clapper board is used for) and then just use the opacity settings to drop the opacity on each track above the one you want to see. As you know the opacity can be dropped quickly in the case of a quick camera switch, or slowly in the case of a fade.

With my alter part, I was constantly change the setting to switch to another camera view to find the best combination. This was much better than moving clips on and off the timeline. I bet you will do this to, changing your mind on who did a particular part of the song better.

Hope this makes sense.
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:59 pm

Chuck made a tutorial that had multiple clips of a wedding on several tracks, like Mark suggested, and edited between using dissolves, etc. Can't find the tutorial.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby JSS » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks for the all of the suggestions.

I am not sure how I use the "opacity" controls in the program, and precisely what they are used for.

I think that this is going to take some experimentation...

Thanks again.

Jack
JSS
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Be sure to check out all of our free tutorials, especially on keyframing.
There's lots to learn but we provide all the help and materials necessary for you to become a pro :TU:
Starting with our Free Stuff
http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=10
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:08 pm

momoffduty wrote:Chuck made a tutorial that had multiple clips of a wedding on several tracks, like Mark suggested, and edited between using dissolves, etc. Can't find the tutorial.

It's a two parter ;)

Multi-Track Transitions PRE 7

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:59 pm

This link will take you right to it - http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

::C
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:46 pm

That's Ron, Mr. Perfect :TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Chuck Engels wrote: It's a two parter ;)

Multi-Track Transitions PRE 7

That's the one. Very good for Jack's project.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Prior Versions