They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE4 crashes when working with MP4 videos

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

PE4 crashes when working with MP4 videos

Postby dmceathron » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:54 am

Hello everyone - just got a new Samsung HMX20 camera - shoots in full HD and creates clips in MP4 format. I did a few tests on the cam before shooting about 111 clips today, totaling approximately 30 minutes of video.

The test worked great, looked CLEAR and fabulous.

I started PE4 and captured all the clips just fine.

However, when I try to import more than about 10 clips into a new project in PE4, it crashes (no warning or message) and goes to a blue screen, then my computer restarts.

System Specs: 1 month old HP Pavilion DV7, AMD Turion Dual-Core 2.10 GHz, 4.0 GB, 64 bit system, 184 GB free of 284.

I have a backup drive I could use if needed, but not sure if it would help - I figured it would be better to have everything on the C drive... Although perhaps that is naive of me.

Any thoughts? This is for a client project, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! If you have any questions to help your understanding of the issue, feel free to ask.

I have used PE4 successfully with my older Panasonic cam (not HD), and this issue has never presented until now, when trying to work with numerous clips.

I also posted this on Adobe forums - sorry if anyone is reading it twice - both forums are such a great help!

Thanks!!
dmceathron
New User
New User

Re: PE4 crashes when working with MP4 videos

Postby Paul LS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:22 am

Welcome to Muvipix... you have found a good forum where folks are very supportive and eager to help... :meet:

I have been responding to you over on the Adobe forum. Where are you based by the way? Maybe some folks here will have some other ideas. By the way be sure to check out the complimentary stuff in the Products section.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby dmceathron » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 am

Thank you for everything - I will post in both forums once I figure it out!
dmceathron
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:18 am

HI, dmc. Welcome to Muvipix!

Part of the challenge for video editing software is that manufacturers keep inventing new, challenging formats for these programs to edit.

Your Samsung HMX20 is a hybrid camcorder. It records to a memory card in AVCHD -- but it also records in a variety of frames rates and interlacing modes.

Premiere Elements 4 is not capable of working with AVCHD video, unfortunately. Version 7 is the first version of the program to be able to work with that video format.

AVCHD, because of its heavy video data and high compression, also requires a very powerful computer. Most people who are editing it successfully are using a quad core processor with 4 gigabytes of RAM.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:30 am

The only potential problems I can see is the slower processor, normally quad core for HDV, and the 64 bit system.
The crashes can also come because of the audio in your files. During the time you are importing Premiere Elements is conforming the audio. If it doesn't like what it finds it will often crash. This could also be a audio driver issue so it would be good to check for a driver update.

What is the audio format that your camcorder records to?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:11 pm

That would be AVCHD MP4, Chuck.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Actually, I need to correct that. It's not AVCHD after all -- which could be compounding the problem.

Here's what Camcorder Info says:
The Samsung SC-HMX20 compresses video in the H.264 (MPEG-4.AVC) main profile format. This is similar but not identical to the AVCHD codec favored by Panasonic, Sony, Canon, and JVC–everyone else, in other words. AVCHD uses H.264 (MPEG-4.AVC), but adds other features that may or may not benefit the consumer.

In other words, it's another proprietary MP4 format that's going wreak havoc on video editors.

I wish camcorder manufacturers wouldn't do that.

Possibly converting it with the Prism Video Convertor would help. It seems to be the best solution for the similarly troublesome Flip camera's codec.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Yep, it is not AVCHD, it is an MP4 variant. He used Super to convert it, he wanted to maintain the high definition.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446193?tstart=0
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions