They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video quality poor

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Video quality poor

Postby Kerrie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:44 pm

OK, I need more help! I posted a short clip regarding sound for a children's program. After I finally put the video together and burned, I realized the quality of the video was poor, primarily the video that was from my Canon Elura. The only thing I changed from the original video was change the size and position from 360-240 and 100% to 435-160 and 140% (to get the kids up closer, crop out the ceiling). I spliced in some other video from a second camera, my canon ZR800, which looks fairly clear (for indoor light).

So, thinking I can just review posts here with other individuals who have had a similar problem with their video, I tried changing some field options: reverse field domain, deinterlace, interlace, etc. which did not improve it at all (and some made it worse). I found RJ's post about Gspot and ran the video clip, but I couldn't find any info regarding the video that indicated a problem. I just now burned the original AVI that was captured from the camera to the computer to dvd and the video looks clear on the dvd.

So,does anyone have any suggestions what went wrong and how to improve it? I am stumped and bummed about the poor quality!

[wmvvideo]http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10355/katie_kindergarten.wmv[/wmvvideo] I am trying to put the video up, otherwise, if you go to this post you can see the video:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5528
Thanks in advance!!!
Kerrie

Dell Vostro Laptop; 2.2 GHz, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 2x160 gig 7200 rpm HDs
Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Video quality poor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:36 pm

Not sure, but if I had to guess could be the scale is over 100%. Your scale is at 140% and wondering what is the max on scaling video. Some of the others may have an idea to help.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Kerrie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:52 pm

You know Cheryl, that was just what I was thinking. I just took the original AVI and set a few sections to different scale sizes. I was hoping to be able to crop out some of the unwanted scenery by zooming in. I am going to burn the disc and see if there is a difference with different scale settings.

If that is the case, I wonder if it is because it is an older camera?

As always thanks so much! Kerrie
Kerrie

Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Kerrie wrote:If that is the case, I wonder if it is because it is an older camera?

It shouldn't have anything to do with the camera Kerrie. Digital Video is Digital Video for the most part. 720 x 480 video is still 720 x 480 video no matter what camera. Yes some cameras take better quality video than others but the scaling of that video in editing is still the same. The quality of your video should not deteriorate just because you scale the video up or down, but rather how much you scale the video up or down.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kerrie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:36 pm

I guess I figured out, I just can't zoom in very much without losing resolution. I did a quick video at different scales and really the best I can do without distorting the image is 110. I haven't done a lot with video before and didn't think of this when I set the camera up on the kids. I think of when I zoom in on stills, you can go up so much more without a loss of the picture! I am learning! So, I am going to just start over from square one!!!

Thanks Chuck and Cheryl!
Kerrie

Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Kerrie, a suggestion would be to use a picture in picture effect with your closeups. Use the clip effect to add a border and can crop some of the video if desired. Place the close up on top of the other video every so often.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Kerrie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:50 pm

Great idea Cheryl, I was just playing with the clip effect. I think I can still get my desired effect I want. This little production has become quite a project!
Kerrie

Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Prior Versions