They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

dv cam not recognised in xp?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

dv cam not recognised in xp?

Postby kr236rk » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:13 pm

hi,

was about to capture to PE3 this evening - i firewired my cam into the tower - nothing - normally PE3 will automatically start up when a cam is plugged in. so i went to PE3 and asked to capture and was told my (plugged in turned on) cam was "off line". this almost drove me sideways after having spent the whole evening setting up a shot. i tried another firewire - no response, did a restart: nothing. checked the firewire hub in Device Manager - no errors. finally i unplugged the cam and plugged it into a Vista sporting a different software and the cam was instantly recognised. so what's with my xp ~ any suggestions please ~ it has been working great up until tonight?

thanks

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: dv cam not recognised in xp?

Postby rfjg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:33 pm

Have you tried doing a shutdown (power-off) and restarting? Also, have alook at http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=5126&p=45335&hilit=+firewire#p45335, maybe helpfull.
rfjg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:46 pm

See what the Device Manager shows for that device. Bring up Device Manager (right click on Computer, go to Properties, Hardware tab.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:52 pm

thanks Bobby and Rfjg,

will have another try tomorrow - MovieMaker couldn't connect with the cam either so it's an xp thing?

will update ;)

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:35 am

kr236rk wrote:...so it's an xp thing?...

Well, that's the point. If Windows doesn't recognize the device (and then it will show in the Device Manager) no software is going to see it.

If it doesn't show in the DM, start to look at a cable problem or perhaps the unit is bad. People have reported dead Firewire links when plugging and unplugging the cable with the camcorder power on. Hope that didn't happen to you.

Try a different cable. Try the same unit into a different PC. Try a different unit on the same PC - etc. until some fact appears.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:24 am

I used this fix once, and it worked for me:

Go to start, run,
type in:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll
hit enter
(note: must be a space between regsvr32 and the first % sign.)
Got an OK box, and everything works great!
All programs capture and preview no problem!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 pm

type in:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll
hit enter

Steve, Wonder why that works. I guess it would be worth a try.

Do you have access to another computer with a firewire?
If so then try it there. You can then narrow it down to being an issue with your PC or your camcorder.

You can also try switching the firewire cable.

It could be a firewire hardware issue, something wrong in XP, your firewire cable or even your camcorder. You need to isolate the problem.

I had an issue in the past and it turned out to be my camcorder.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:00 am

thanks guys - thank cripes for PE3! - switched my project to Roxio because of the cam issue - everything went fine till i started to edit - then Roxio stopped splitting footage ... all change! - back to PE3 - mercifully recognising the cam this evening (huge sigh of relief)

the only really good thing about Roxio is it can output a very neat H263 video compression for web sharing - it cannot fade to black for example - which is a real nuisance

fingers crossed the cam issue is sorted now - am in the middle of a project

best regards

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:32 am

Ric, if you are seeing intermittent connectivity for the unit, I would suspect the cable or associated cable sockets. Software can be screwy, but is usually not intermittent.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Bobby wrote:Ric, if you are seeing intermittent connectivity for the unit, I would suspect the cable or associated cable sockets. Software can be screwy, but is usually not intermittent.

thanks Bob

well i'm a-ok this evening: finished capturing my project and started a preliminary edit - am converting a home movie to digital, it has taken me days but i now have enough footage to edit the whole thing together (touch wood on the edit bit). need now to sit down and make written notes on each clip (9 clips in PE3) then work out what to cut and what to save to the final sequence - about 15 minutes of film; have saved a copy of the project to another hard drive, just in case ...

the capture screen has lines on it (vanish on monitor screen): can you clip/crop edges from footage in PE3 please and are these crops pre-set or do you have control over them?

so far so good anyway - thanks again

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:36 am

Yes, there is a Crop effect and you can chop a percentage from each side independently. I use it a lot when I take in video from older sources. Make sure you check the Zoom box to expand the result to fill the project if you wish. There is also Clip, but that works a bit differently. Experiment...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:55 am

Bobby wrote:Yes, there is a Crop effect and you can chop a percentage from each side independently. I use it a lot when I take in video from older sources. Make sure you check the Zoom box to expand the result to fill the project if you wish. There is also Clip, but that works a bit differently. Experiment...

many thanks - that is brilliant - that facility did not exist on Pinnacle 9 or i couldn't find it

yes: experiment ;)
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:51 pm

There are tutorials in the products section on the Clip and Crop effects. It's in the Free Section too :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:There are tutorials in the products section on the Clip and Crop effects. It's in the Free Section too :)

many thanks. captured some footage this evening purely to experiment with clip + cropping ;)

best regards

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:41 am

yes! the %crop works - am very impressed!

also - what i'm trying to do is keep unedited footage on one video timeline while creating the footage i want on another timeline, lets say Video1 and Video2; i do this by selecting split sections from Video1 and copy/pasting them onto Video2 timeline.

is there any way you can toggle between timelines please? at the moment the upper timeline seems to be on 'default monitor' so it's really difficult to work between edited and unedited material : at the moment i do this by pushing the edited timeline footage to the right, beyond the unedited material; once the edited footage is clear of the upper timeline it shows up in the monitor, but this makes copy, paste & drag - especially of very small segments - a bit of a chore, because you have to drag the edits 'miles' in some cases, to get to the end of the second timeline

small segments require that you zoom in on them to drag them, but this also zooms the timelines into very long timelines!

so far so good though ;)

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to Prior Versions