They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Project Skipping

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Project Skipping

Postby slushparlor1 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:19 am

Hi everyone,

Each year I seem to run into a similar issue while working on the school videos. Some people have issues with skipping or freezing of the video. I tested it out on two dvd players and there was no skipping. I created three videos and 1 worked great and two skipped. I'm using Adobe 4. Could this be the media that I am using? I have found that it is happening alot with Memorex R + so I went out and bought Sony. I've just given the dvds to the teachers today so they will let me know the results. Once they give the ok then I burn them for the parents. There are always some that come back though. Is this just the standard media problem that we all run into? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

Theresa
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Project Skipping

Postby momoffduty » Fri May 29, 2009 8:42 am

Theresa, I had this problem too. I now use Verbatim 8x or 16x discs and no more skipping. If you use the 16x discs change the write speed to 8x...I burn in Nero. And use -R
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 29, 2009 9:15 am

Just to confirm and add my own thoughts,

Verbatim DVD -R and burn at 8x or slower
I have had ZERO returned DVDs out of 100's.
The only other brand I would trust is Taiyo Yuden.

I would not use an Imation or Memorex DVDs if you paid me, they are notorious for causing problems when viewing.
Home DVD players can be very particular about what they play and won't play. It seems the cheaper machines don't have near the problems as the expensive machines do.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby stanatou » Fri May 29, 2009 9:27 am

I recently had the same problem with Memorex DVDs as well. I was out of town visiting my folks and had finished a video of my son's graduation while there but had no DVD blanks...so off to Wal Mart. Unfortunately, Memorex was the 'best' they had on the shelf. I burned 2 copies from PE and both skipped and paused several times. I switched to ImgBurn and used 4x write speed and got 2 good copies. BTW, I tried the -R first and neither of Mom's DVDs would play them :pull: so I had to go back and get +R.
stanatou
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri May 29, 2009 9:42 am

Theresa, have a look at this thread for a good discussion of DVD media.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=273

The concensus is either Verbatim or Tao Yuden (sp). I use only Verbatime media, -R for single layer DVDs, +R for Dual Layer and Verbatim BD for Blu Ray. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby slushparlor1 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks everyone - great responses. The Memorex are going in the trash tonight. This brought out another question for me..... Why do people not burn straight from Preimere? I noticed some people like to burn to folder and then take the vob files? Does this give a clearer video? Is this just a preference? I usually burn to the disk. What's the best way to make multiple copies of the video? Usually I will just share to disk and then do one copy after another. Is this the best (or only) way to do that.

Thanks so much. I'll find out how the teachers did with the Sony but I'm buying the Verbatim today (R+) works the best on their machines so I will go with that.

:-D
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 29, 2009 10:13 am

There are two primary reasons for 'Burning to a Folder' and using another program to burn the DVDs

1. It is faster and easier to make copies later. The image is always ready and only take a few minutes to actually burn the DVD.
No more encoding to do, just the one time when you burn the folder and that's it.

2. You can set the burn speed. Premiere Elements does not allow you to set the burn speed.
If the discs you are using are 16x then it will try to burn at 16x if your burner can burn at that speed.
Best is 4x or 8x, so using another program will allow you to set the burn speed no matter what the media is rated for or what your burners speed is.

A good thing to try is ImgBurn, it is a free program that is used by many here. If you want to give the burning to a folder a try that would be a good start.
http://www.imgburn.com/
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Fri May 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Verbatim DVD -R and burn at 8x or slower
I have had ZERO returned DVDs out of 100's.
The only other brand I would trust is Taiyo Yuden.

I 100% agree with Chuck. You can get the Taiyo Yuden DVDs at a reasonable price if you search the internet. Just be careful to stay away from the value series.

Another reason for DVDs skipping is if you have stick on labels. Never use them.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions