They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Possibly the Dumbest Question Ever

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Possibly the Dumbest Question Ever

Postby Mark1x » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:05 am

Hi, with some embarassment I have to ask this incredibly dumb question; I'm either daft, lazy or have too much on my mind but how do you actually crop some footage from some video?
I have the video captured and in the timeline, and i'd like to set two points and delete the material between these two points, but how? If I double click to bring up the preview monitor it doesnt seem to offer what I want. I should mention that there are several seperate sections I wish to delete. Sorry to have such a basic question! but I'm in a rush and it doesnt seem intuitive. I did try the preview monitor and clicking on "set in" and set out" but this just gave me one section of footage whereas I want to delete multiple sections.

If anybody can be bothered with this trivia i'd really appreciate very simple info as I am a total beginer with elements. Thanks
Mark.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge...I have a severe instruction booklet allergy!
Mark1x

Re: Possibly the Dumbest Question Ever

Postby Bobby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 am

HI Mark. Welcome!

Set the CTI (current time indicator) by clicking or sliding in the timeline to the first point. Make sure the clip in question is selected (purple). Click the Slice Clip tool (looks like a scissors) and that will split the clip into two pieces. Go to the end point and do the same thing.

Then just highlight the middle clip, right click and select Delete and Close Gap.

Let us know if you need further explanation.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Cinde » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:21 am

Hi Mark,

Not a dumb question at all.

PRE v7, (hopefully it’s the same in prior versions also)

Between the monitor and the timeline are several icons. Near the right side is a pair of scissors.

On the Timeline highlight the track that has the video to be edited and place the Time Line Indicator at the beginning of the area you want to delete. Click on the scissors.

Then move the Time Line Indicator to the end of the area you want to delete. Again click on the scissors.
Now put the cursor on the clip between the two scissors cuts you just made. Right click and choose either “Clear” which will remove only that section and leave a gap where the section was delete - or choose “Delete and Close Gap” which will remove the gap.

Welcome to Muvipix :meet:
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Mark1x » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:13 am

Hmmm, I dont appear to have any scissors!! Is there an option to display the scissor tool?
Mark.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge...I have a severe instruction booklet allergy!
Mark1x

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:21 am

In PE3 it's just below the monitor to the right of the play/pause buttons. It's labeled "Split Clip". You can also use the keyboard shortcut which is ctrl+k.
Bob

Postby Cinde » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:32 am

Mark, is it possible that you have resized the monitor section? If you have made it smaller you will not be able to see some of the icons. If you have go to the top of the screen and click on Window… then choose Restore Workspace.

Here's where it is located on my screen in Version 7.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:45 am

You can just position the CTI at the point you want to cut and press CTRL + K, that will cut the clip too.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mark1x » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks guys. Imust have had the monitor resized, I have closed the elements and re opened it and there it was! I now am trying to export to DVD but my DVD player is broke so I use a external DVD player which is showing as "not ready" in the burn dvd window. My external DVD is in perfect woking order but it keeps reverting to the broken drive. Is there a way to tell elements to use the external drive? I click on the drop down list but it then rescans and reverts back to the internal drive. Any thoughts?
Mark.
Mark1x

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:56 am

You can disable the broken drive, that would keep Premiere Elements from seeing it.
Right click on 'My Computer' select 'Properties' then 'Hardware' and finally 'Device Manager'

Locate the DVD/CD Drives list and right click on the broken drive, then select 'Disable'.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mark1x » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks Chuck, I'm sure that would have worked but I tried a different make of dvd and it worked so I guess the media was faulty. Nothing straight forward is it!!
Mark.
Mark1x

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:39 pm

I guess it's always something isn't it ](*,)

The right media is very important, never use the store brands like Staples or Office Depot, never use Memorex or Imation.
I have used Verbatim for a long time and no problems.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions