They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

canon hv30 hd

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Re: canon hv30 hd

Postby Bobby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Robino wrote:The PlayBack shows STD ---
TV Type 4:3 or 16:9?? Which should I chose

Not sure - did you check the setting I indicated? But STD sounds like standard, which sounds like Standard Definition, I guess.

As far as 4:3 vs. 16:9, it depends! The camera always takes 16:9 I believe, but you can set it to 4:3 if you want. 16:9 is widescreen, 4:3 is standard old TV (what they call fullscreen). How do you want your project to look? But if you use 4:3 it will either compress (look terrible) or it will chop the sides off.

Where are you seeing this?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Are you sure you can set that camera to 4:3, I thought it was only 16:9 as HDV is only 16:9
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:18 am

Chuck, both the menus and the book are not really specific here. There is a 16:9 vs. 4:3 entry in the menus, but I am not sure exactly what it does (horizontal compress vs. crop). The manual is really not very specific.

In Camera mode (the menus change if Camera vs. Play), there is a Rec/In in the Menu in which you can specify HDV, DV Wide or DV Normal, among others.

And then in Play switch mode, the Menu shows Play/Out Setup1 which allows you to specify the Playback Std (HDV (HDV, DV, or Auto) and below that there is a TV Type which can be 16:9 or 4:3.

BTW, there is also a Wind Screen mode which says it cuts background noise - i.e. wind.

So I guess you have to experiment a bit to get your specific setup correct. Since I have been using my HV30 I just use the two modes (either HDV or DV out) and always 16:9 and haven't explored much else.

High points for the image quality and the camera flexibility, low points for the manual!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Robino » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:08 am

Thanks for the info and I agree the manual is not too good. I am such a rookie at photography is this is just for fun, but I didn't know about the wind option, where is that? My problem is that I have to figure out how to reduce the wind noise or raise the speaking voice of film already taken -- but for future, I would love to know how to reduce the wind noise while filming. BTW, I love this forum.
Robino
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 am

Robino wrote:Thanks for the info and I agree the manual is not too good. I am such a rookie at photography is this is just for fun, but I didn't know about the wind option, where is that? My problem is that I have to figure out how to reduce the wind noise or raise the speaking voice of film already taken -- but for future, I would love to know how to reduce the wind noise while filming. BTW, I love this forum.

I have never used it, but the book says the Wind Screen setting is on Page 39 - Rec/In Setup. But look around at the various HV30 fora - there are lots of microphone options including shotgun types that mount on your camera or remote mics. I was very amazed at the quality our local town Public Information Officer get while taping an outdoor town event using a shotgun mic on his camera. But, it was a very expensive mic (only the best for our island!).

Also (my mind wasn't totally clear at 3AM last night), there is a grid in the book on page 42 that shows all the settings to achieve HD or SD out to either Component Out or the HDV/DV conector.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:36 am

Dale, I moved the WD HDMI interface box thread to

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5307

in HD.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor