They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Compressor setting for avi playback on a Mac

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Compressor setting for avi playback on a Mac

Postby bbooks » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:21 pm

I have a video that is going to be shown on a big screen at our church. The production guy asked for an avi. Uncompressed, it doesn't fit on a DVD. I created this video on a PC but it will be shown through a Mac. Which compressor setting should I choose?

Thanks!
Sue
bbooks

Re: Compressor setting for avi playback on a Mac

Postby bbooks » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Just in case this makes a difference, I was asked to create an AVI, not a DV-AVI.

Sue
bbooks

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:43 pm

Asking for an AVI without specifying what codec they want is like asking for a sandwich in a styrofoam box and not telling you what kind of sandwich. The box part is easy, what kind of sandwich they wanted in it is a different story altogether. Any chance you can get them to tell you what video and audio codecs they need? If they don't know, can they give you a sample of one that worked? -- you can look at it with gspot and see what was used.

Lacking any information, I'd say use DIVX 6 for the video. There are several players for the mac that will play a divx encoded avi and there is a free divx codec for the mac if they don't have one already http://www.divx.com/en/products/software/mac/divx.

Hopefully, you will have a chance to test it before the big day and be able to work the kinks out.

Could one of the mac users here step in and point in the right direction?
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:32 am

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bbooks » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:27 am

Thanks for the info. I did download DivX and used it, along with a couple of other choices to make several versions of the AVI. Thankfully, I've got a week to test and change things if it doesn't play well. By the way, here's the link to download the Windows version of DivX: http://www.divx.com/en/products/software/windows/divx

Sue
bbooks

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:09 am

Sue, Do you know if they are using Pro Presenter at the church? If you could tell us what software they will use to play the video it would help a lot.
I will find out from the guys at my church how they handle this, we do the same thing many times. Edit in Premiere on a PC then all of our computers used to present/play the video are MACs, they go through this all the time. I do know it will depend on the software though.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bbooks » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 am

No, I don't know what they use to play the video. I will have a chance to check things out in the production booth today when I drop off a draft. If I need to change some settings, thankfully, I will have time to do that before the next weekend. I would be interested to here what you find out about how your church handles that.

Thanks so much!
Sue
bbooks

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:48 am

Hi Sue, here is the response from my friend Rich

Rich wrote:Hey Chuck. The display application is important of course to find out, but I would suggest having her export out of Premiere to a Quicktime File using the h.264 codec. Compression levels should be minimal.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions