They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can This Be Done

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Can This Be Done

Postby Mark1x » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:34 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

Two questions: I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 and I dont wish to spend any cash t this time!!

1: I want to take video using my Sony dcr pc1000e and create a video file that can be used on a website, therefore needs to be small and easily playable, can I use elements 3.0 for this? If so what settings and where are they? I am a novice guys!! Can adobe produce Shock Wave Files? if not how can I do this having used adobe?

2: Also I have some existing footage which is MPEG2 and 20 mins long which is 500MB in size, can I do anything to make it a tiny file size fo website use? Can adobe 3.0 import it for website fle size use? Is there a way to convert it to shock wave and how? can it be done with any free sofware without odd banners?

Sorry I guess thats a few questions! but my point is I want to take and edit video and end up with ideally shock wave or website playable small files. Thanks for any suggestions and help. :)
Mark.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge...I have a severe instruction booklet allergy!
Mark1x

Re: Can This Be Done

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi Mark,

Here is a link to the camcorder info from Sony
http://www.sony.co.uk/pdf/GeneratePdf.a ... =odw_en_GB

It looks like a MiniDV tape camcorder but I couldn't find where is specifically said that.
Can you verify that it is indeed a MiniDV camcorder? I did see that is has a firewire connection and the format is DV so I am pretty sure that is the case.

1. Yes you can do just about anything with Premiere Elements 3 and this camcorder. No, it will not produce Shock Wave files which you wouldn't really want anyway. You would use H.264 (MP4) or FLV (also a Flash File similar to A Shock Wave file) for the web presentation, possibly even MOV (Apple Quicktime) or WMV (Windows Media). All can be done with Premiere Elements, not sure if version 3 will do FLV though I forget.

2. There are a number of free programs that will convert MPEG to DV-AVI for editing in Premiere Elements.
But the best thing is to try the MPEG files first and see if they work, many MPEG files can be edited without problems.

No video is tiny, all video is measured in mega bites and giga bites. Small is relative and has everything to do with the length, size and quality you desire.
You can make a FLV of a 20 minute movie, it can be 800mb, 400mb, 200mb, 100mb, or even 20mb, it all depends on how much quality you want and how large of an image you want. 320 x 240 is one thing, 1024 x 768 is something else.

Best to continue to ask questions as you go, you've come to the right place for answers :) \

Welcome to Muvipix :meet:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Your camcorder is a miniDV and so should work perfect with Premiere Elements.

To output video for a web site, click to select your timeline, then go to File/Export/Windows Media and output a WMV file.

You don't want to post a large file like an AVI or an MPEG on a web site. WMVs are made for streaming over the internet.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mark1x » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks for these replies and yes Chuck it is indeed as Steve confimred a mini dv camcorder. I'm a bit lost though because a website designer said to me I should be using a shock wave file for website use!! perhaps that is all he knows how to embed into websites. I didnt realise that the point of decison on what file to produce was at the output stage so thanks for that! I thought I had to "get video" as the intended ouput.

So am I right in saying I should import from the camcorder at the highest quality for the device itself but then on completing the editing I can choose one output as a smaller file for websites and with the same footage another output at full quality for dvd?
Mark.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge...I have a severe instruction booklet allergy!
Mark1x

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Mark1x wrote:So am I right in saying I should import from the camcorder at the highest quality for the device itself but then on completing the editing I can choose one output as a smaller file for websites and with the same footage another output at full quality for dvd?

Absolutely right Mark :)

And maybe the web guy just got a little confused but SWF (Shockwave Flash) files are now old hat.
The FLV (Flash Video)files and H.264 are what most web designers are using these days due to the smaller size and better quality. But as Steve says, even WMV will work just fine and you still see a lot of sites still using MOV for their video.

The main point is that other than SWF Premiere Elements can produce any of the above mentioned file types.
SWF produces some good animated graphics, but isn't the best for good quality video, at least not anymore.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mark1x » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:24 am

I cant find the H.264 file option. When I click export I have the others, adobeflash ,MPEG Windows Media etc but cannot see an option for H.264. Where is this one?
Mark.
Mark1x

Postby Mark1x » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:33 am

Also!! I started the process to export as a WMV file (but still wish to find the H.264 file option) but first it wants to spend an estmated 50 minutes rendering, what is that? and is it normal/required? didnt do this before..thanks
Mark.
Mark1x

Postby Paul LS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:28 am

H.264 option is under the MPEG share option. When exporting PE will need to transcode the video to the selected output format. The time this takes depends on the format and the format settings... for example you can get single or two pass exports... the two pass resulting in a smaller file size, higher quality output... but it takes longer. The output settings can usually be found under the Advanced tab in the export window. And the export time predictions are not that accurate....
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Mark1x » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:27 am

Thank you Paul, it was a two pass render and it took over 2 hours!! though odly the first time it didnt show any render just and export process. I cant find the mpeg share option to fin the H.264 I click file export and then mpeg but no share option!! what have I missed?
Mark.
Mark1x

Postby Mark1x » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:02 am

I have got my WMV file and it plays perfect but wont copy to a cd!! not sure why but I can copy anything else on my pc to cd it seems like its just this file. The burn sets off and seems to stop about a minute ealry and says successful but it wont play and cannot be read I have tried two cd's, any thoughts? The WMV file was output just exactly as that one single WMV file which I have tried to burn, should there be some other component?
Mark.
Mark1x

Postby Paul LS » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 am

Sorry, you go "Share", "Personal Computer", "MPEG" then under "Presets" you will see the H.264 options.

What program are you suing to burn the .wmv to disc. i assume you are burning it as a data file.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:37 am

You know I learn something new every day here :)

I never have used the H.264 option under MPEG and didn't even know it was there, always MOV (Quicktime). If you select Quicktime and go to advanced you have the option of selecting H.264 there. This can be any size, unlike the MPEG option which is only 1080i, too big for me :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mark1x » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:55 am

Paul, thanks and sorry for being slower than slow here but i'm still trying to find H.264...you say "share" as the first action but where is "share" I dont see it..! sorry to be pain..
Mark.
Mark1x

Postby Mark1x » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 am

By the way the cd burning issue is solved, it was a conflict issue with another dvd drive.
Mark.
Mark1x

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:23 am

Mark1x wrote:Paul, thanks and sorry for being slower than slow here but i'm still trying to find H.264...you say "share" as the first action but where is "share" I dont see it..! sorry to be pain..

Hi Mark, Share is a tab on the screen. Click the Share Tab, then select either MPEG or Quicktime to get to H.264 export.
If you are not using High Definition footage I don't think you want the MPEG option.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Prior Versions