They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Neo Scene cause PE3 to crash??

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Neo Scene cause PE3 to crash??

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:08 pm

I downloaded the Neo Scene trial today and captured some HDV footage from my HV30 onto an external USB HDD connected to my Dell E520 (Intel Core 2 Duo 6420 @ 2.13GHz, 2GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, 256MB ATI Radeon card). I created a PE3 project and added the Cineform-converted AVI clips, and I then got a "Not Responding" error message for PE3, after which PE3 crashed.

I rebooted the PC and now when I launch PE3 I get a "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working" error message. I can't even open PE3 anymore!!!

Please help!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Neo Scene cause PE3 to crash??

Postby Paul LS » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Try posting your problem here. David Newman the CTO of Cineform monitors the forum and responds to issues.:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-software-showcase/

Thinking about it I am not sure he can help with getting PE3 up and running again. Try starting Premiere Elements while holding down the LEFT Shift and Ctrl keys, this will flush the cache and preferences. Other thing to try with PE3 is to delete your prefences folder in
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\3.0 (delete the complete Premiere Elements folder) it will be rebuilt next time you start PE3. Note it might be a hidden file on your PC and so you need to go to into Tools>Folder Options>View and select Show hidden files and folders.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:22 pm

I have Vista Home Premium and I can't find the folder path you specified. I looked in Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 and can't find anything that looks like a preferences folder or file. I did a search on C for "Application Data" and no folder turned up.

And I can't even open PE3 to look at their Help file!!!

I tried launching PE3 with Left-Ctrl and Shift held down...no difference. PE3 won't start anymore. If I uninstall it and reinstall it, will my existing "in progress" Premiere projects disappear?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Ctrl shift will clear the preferences but not the plugins cache which is in the registry. To clear the plugins cache press and hold shift while starting premiere elements. Does Premiere Elements run long enough to display the splash screen at startup? If so, there is a status line in the splash screen which tells what is being loaded or initialized. It's at the bottom just about the adobe logo. What's the last thing it displays?

In Vista, the path to the prefs file is "C:\Users\login_name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\3.0\Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs" where login_name is the account name you are using. I wouldn't delete the entire folder as you will lose all your custom presets. Just deleting the prefs file should be sufficient.

A complete uninstall/install won't remove your project files.
Bob

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 pm

From July 2007 on Adobe forums I posted this:

Couldn't load PE3 after install of CineForm Neo Player

After installing Cineform Neo Player, I would get a memory access error while starting Premiere Elements. I uninstalled PE and then reinstalled it, and did all that other stuff, but that didn't help. Finally I was reminded about the Neo Player and uninstalled that. Premiere Elements started right up.

And that was the last of CineForm Neo for me.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:31 pm

First, thanks for all of your help. Other DV forums don't have members so willing to help; they are more interested in putting people down.

I tried Ctrl-Shift during program launch and this time PE3 opened. I added one Cineform AVI file and the program kept running, so I started adding them 5 at a time, each time allowing the progress bar in the bottom right corner of the timeline to finish "conforming" the files.

After adding about 30 clips I decided to try closing the program and restarting it (didn't want to push my luck). After I exited the program I got another error message "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working", but this time when I tried to restart the program it started back with no problems. All of the clips I had added were still there. I exited the program again without adding any clips, and I again got the error message.

This seems too dicey to me. I don't want to edit 100 clips only to find out during the export that a problem exists that prevents outputting the timeline to tape.

Since I don't have $1000 to replace our 1.5 yr old machine with a dedicated video editing PC, how do the rest of you edit HDV? Am I missing something simple? This is my first foray into HDV and I've yet to find anything simple...
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:13 am

wanaride wrote:First, thanks for all of your help. Other DV forums don't have members so willing to help; they are more interested in putting people down.

That's the beauty of Muvipix. No one will put you down here. We all started out as 'learners' sometime so being smart is neither welcome nor helpful. It is good to be able to help others who are having problems and, in my case, I certainly don't know it all but I do know that when I get a problem someone here will have advice that leads me to the answer. :)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:13 am

On an older or less powerful machine it is better to do as you are doing... use an intermediate codec. Neo Scene "should" be a good option, I hope they sort out your issue, please keep us informed on any feedback you get from Cineform support.

Another option is to use proxy editing, here you edit a standard definition version (converted from the high def version) of your video and substitute it with the high definition version before export.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:13 am

Thanks guys. I heard from Neo Scene tech support yesterday; they don't provide support for older versions of Elements. They say that PE7 is supported and if I upgrade to PE7, then Neo Scene will work properly.

I'm in the tech support world myself and I realize that companies can't support a product forever. But I'm wondering; upgrade to PE7 and buy Neo Scene and "hope" they play well together? I guess I stepped into this with my eyes open when I purchased a HDV camcorder. I can always export the HDV footage as SDV and edit that way, but if I do that, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having higher quality recordings? (Never heard of proxy editing, maybe that is worth looking into.) SDV on DVD looks pretty "blocky" on my HDTV. We sure use a lot of acronyms, eh?

I have a goal of burning Blu-Ray discs within the next few months so I suppose such upgrades are inevitable (I know PE3 doesn't support Blu-Ray but PE7 does).
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 am

You could try the PE7 trial version to see if it has issues with Neo Scene.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:42 pm

I should have thought of that! Thanks for the tip; I will download and install it tonight and let you know how it works out...
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions