They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Premier Elements Shuts Down Continually In One Spot

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Premier Elements Shuts Down Continually In One Spot

Postby westport1992 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Hello,

While producing my latest movie, I seem to be having a problem.
Whenever I play the movie, and it hits a specific part of the timeline, it freezes
and then says that Premier Elements has encountered an unexpected error and must close.
Also, when I attempt to burn to a DVD, Premiere Elements comes back with the same response,
approximately 31% through encoding my media. These could very well be connected issues.

I am hoping that you will have a solution to this problem, in order to allow
my movie to play, and to allow me to burn a disk.

Thanks

Continued:
I am running an HP Media Centre PC with Dual Core Technology. It is a 2.8 GHz processor with 2GB of RAM.
I am running off of my C Drive (over 100GB available), and am backing up to my external drive.
The movie is in NTSC format.
I have tried to burn the project, and this does not work either. I have tried to export it as an AVI file, but
the process is interupted with the "Adobe Premier Elements must close" message once again.
I am desperate for help, as this movie is to be presented in the near future, and I am unsure of what to do
in order to solve the problem.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
westport1992

Re: Premier Elements Shuts Down Continually In One Spot

Postby Peru » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Does it happen only on this project?
What are your source files?
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:36 pm

Along with the questions that Peru has asked;
What effects or transitions have you used on the clips at the point it crashes?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:37 pm

You can also zoom all the way in on the timeline around that area and make sure there is no emply space or gap.
Any gap where there is no video and audio can cause this problem.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:46 am

Chuck got to my answer, before I did. To add, if you need a "gap" in the Video, use Black Video (Project Panel New. Choose Black Video from the drop-down).

The first thing that I do in a new Premiere Project is to create Black Video. I always trim its In/Out to yield a 02 sec. Clip, and use it for the beginning of all Timelines*, then add it to the end, as well. Any "gaps" are always filled with Black Video, if the Audio dictates this.

For the OP, looking carefully and closely at that point of the problem should yield some clue as to what is going on. Something is obviously different, than in the preceeding footage. Also, do not be surprised if you fix that, and another pops up later down the Timeline. Repeat the same process of elimination.

Hunt

* Main reason that I do this is that I nearly always work with DD 5.1 SS Audio Tracks (can't do that yet in PE) and this gives set-top players time to "lock" onto the Audio, so one doesn't miss the first 1.5 - 2 sec. of the Audio. Many DVD players need this little padding, especially some of the high-end players like Denon.
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:58 am

That is great information Hunt, thanks for sharing :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:12 pm

I've had a similar problem, and the culprit was a 1-frame gap as Chuck suggested. I had to zoom all the way in to see it, but once it was closed (I dragged the edge of one of the clips to cover the gap, then reapplied the transition) the project worked fine.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Premiere Elements Continues To Shut Down...

Postby westport1992 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Hello,

I posted yesterday about how Adobe Premiere Elements continually
shuts down at one particular spot (4 minutes, 21 seconds).

I have tried all suggested comments, but the program continues
to do this. I have also dis-enabled all things in that spot, and it does it.

I have changed the music, and deleted all clips from the area, and it does it.

Any other suggestions?
westport1992

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi Debi,

To keep your issue concise for new readers who may be able to help you, I have combined your post from today with the ones from yesterday, and moved the topic to the PE4 forum since I'm pretty sure I remember you are using PE4. Anyway, by having it here and keeping it together, hopefully someone with good knowledge of PE4 can solve it for you. Unfortunately, I don't use PE4 so I can't offer any other suggestions. Good luck!
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Westport, make sure you're telling us everything we need to know. I'd be particularly interesting in knowing:

1) What operating system you're using

2) If you are editing your video on a driver other than your C drive and, if so, if it's formatted NTFS or FAT32

3) How much free space is on your C drive

Also, just to confirm what you're saying -- are you saying that the program quits even when all you're doing is playing your timeline?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Not necessarily a solution, but you could set the work area bar so that it ends just before your bad spot, and export the movie as an avi file.

Then start a new project, bring in the avi file you exported from the old project, and continue to edit from there. That saves everything you did up to that point. If there is a lot of work after the bad point, but no problems with crashing, you could export that section as well.

If you still are having crashes on the same point in the new project, then I would heavily consider some kind of problem with the source files in that section.
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Another question. What is the disc filing system im use - NTFS or FAT?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Larry L2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:21 am

One thing to do. Look at the clip frame by frame at the spot it hangs up in play. You might find a corrupted frame, you'll see artifacts in the picture that don't belong. Trimming one or two frames at the end, for example, won't hurt a thing. While zoomed in, also look for "1 frame edits" that are leftovers.
I also have cleaned up troublesome clips by running them through Movie Maker and exporting as "AVI Uncompressed" then bringing it back into PE4.
Larry L2

Return to Prior Versions