They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Issues with Video Quality

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Issues with Video Quality

Postby swanpie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 am

Hello all, I'm brand new to this forum and hope I'll be able to find some answers to my questions (I have a lot!).

First off, I own and use PE4 at this time. My laptop is nothing fancy, just 1.5GHz and 736 Mb of RAM.

I have a Panasonic MiniDV Camcorder (PV-GS19 for those that care) that I have been using to shoot some basic video clips for a work-related project. These clips were done mostly outdoors, some clips with a tripod, some just by hand, a variety of pans and zooms...

My problem is that these videos look absolutely terrible when brought onto the laptop. Now, granted, I have been using USB instead of Firewire (which I think is my biggest problem?) to capture the video. How big of a difference would this make? I am noticing a lot of pixelation, etc.

When I export the files for our site, I am exporting them to FLV files at a small size, so they look "okay" - but when I upload them to YouTube the quality is just sad. :(

Is there anything else I could be doing wrong? Since I was capturing with USB, I was capturing into WMM (Windows Movie Maker), saving as a "large movie clip" or similar, then bringing that media into PE4. Is this the completely wrong way of doing things?

I'm pretty decent at finding my way around PE4 so it's quite frustrating that my videos look so terrible.

Help? I appreciate any and all suggestions you savvy forum users might have for me!

SP
swanpie
New User
New User

Re: Issues with Video Quality

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:44 am

swanpie wrote:My problem is that these videos look absolutely terrible when brought onto the laptop. Now, granted, I have been using USB instead of Firewire (which I think is my biggest problem?) to capture the video. How big of a difference would this make? I am noticing a lot of pixelation, etc.

Your suspicions are correct. Get a Firewire card for your laptop.
http://www.provantage.com/startech-cb1394-2~7STRP09E.htm

BTW, your laptop should be sufficient for the short projects you mentioned. For longer, more elaborate projects you may not be happy with the horsepower of that machine.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Doreen L. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:36 am

Also, are you sure that the USB you're using is a high speed USB2 which the PV-GS19 requires for video transfer? Have you tried connecting your cam directly to a TV? If the video quality is better, than you know for sure that it's a capture problem.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:15 pm

I am curious. How does the USB interface affect image quality? I thought it might slow the rate of transfer, but I thought Mini-DV quality would be the same. Am I thinking right on this one? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:19 pm

When I first answered this topic I did a quick check on camcorderinfo and I couldn't tell if this cam supported that video streaming spec. So, I am a little mystified as to how the OP was able to transfer video via USB. I thought these camcorders ONLY supported the photo function via USB. That's what mine do.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Doreen L. » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:08 am

Ken - I did a search and saw that it did (don't remember the site).

Vernon - I don't know for sure if using USB1 instead of USB2 could cause the problem but I think it's a possibility. I've experimented with USB2 with my PV-GS400 and had no problem but I've never tried USB1 (I'm not going to experiment cause the instructions are very specific about using USB2). It also could be the video itself - doing a connection to the TV could rule that right out.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:31 am

"swanpie", I hope you will tell us your real name some time. Welcome, and know that we are a real friendly bunch.

BTW, you should know that, unlike other forums you may visit, this one will provide answers quite fast. So if you don't come back sometime soon, you may find that your original topic has been taken all the way to town and back! :-D You actually may need to moderate your own topic to make sure it stays where you want it - on topic.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby swanpie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi guys! Thanks for the replies - I figured that was probelm after perusing some of the boards I found out there. I just couldn't believe that it looked so terrible.

The frustrating thing is that we spent a week or so shooting and then shot over those pieces for lack of tape space, so if that IS the problem, we'll be REshooting all that footage!! LOL Oh well, it is what it is...

I appreciate the answers from everyone. I'm going to try it via Firewire once I get the cable and I'll update you all as to what happens!

Deidra
swanpie
New User
New User

Postby swanpie » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:39 pm

So I just got my FireWire in the mail today and tried out the new capture process. It took me a bit to get Premiere to recognize the camera, but, once it did, the results were incredible.

I want to thank you all for your help, as this tidbit of information makes all the world of difference!

I'm looking forward to re-shooting all the video we did. Or not... Haha.

But at least I learned my lesson this time - don't EVER record over your tapes and use FireWire to capture!

Thanks again guys, I appreciate your help!

Deidra
swanpie
New User
New User

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Congratulations. It is nice when things work out.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions