They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Should I Re-install Premiere Elements??

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Should I Re-install Premiere Elements??

Postby Karl Latimer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:44 pm

I've edited a holiday video and was almost at the point of burning to DVD. Now, I repeatedly get a 'serious error' message and then it closes down. Additionally, I've lost all audio?!? ](*,)
Would it be recommended to re-install?
If I did re-install, would my project files be deleted when I uninstall?
And will I be able to re-open the project files once re-installation is complete?

Any help is gratefully received
Thanks,
Karl
Karl Latimer
New User
New User

Re: Should I Re-install Premiere Elements??

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:47 pm

Sounds like you've had quite an issue with your audio card Karl.
Have you installed any software lately, like a virtual audio driver of some kind?

Check for an update to your sound card driver also.

By the way, thanks for sticking around and posting your question again :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Karl Latimer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks for your prompt help Chuck.
Can't understand the problem because I've installed/downloaded nothing recently. My audio on Windows Media Player is fine, only Premiere Elements is affected.
Any advice on whether to re-install?
Karl Latimer
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:05 pm

I would check for the audio driver update first, something has obviously changed.
Doing a re-install isn't going to hurt anything so go ahead and give it a shot.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Karl Latimer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks for your help. I think I'll try to re-install because I've just had this rather worrying message.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime error!
Program:...\Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0\Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information.

Oh dear...
Karl Latimer
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:33 pm

Runtime error!

Do you have a Roxio product (like RecordNow, Easy Media Creator, or MyDvd) installed?

If so, see this support site for Roxio:
http://www.roxio.com/enu/search/default.html?q=Runtime+error!+&ie=&site=www_roxio_com&output=xml_no_dtd&client=www_roxio_com&lr=&proxystylesheet=www_roxio_com&oe=&restrict=kb&filter=0
Peru

Postby Karl Latimer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:46 am

Peru wrote:
Runtime error!

Do you have a Roxio product (like RecordNow, Easy Media Creator, or MyDvd) installed?

If so, see this support site for Roxio:
http://www.roxio.com/enu/search/default.html?q=Runtime+error!+&ie=&site=www_roxio_com&output=xml_no_dtd&client=www_roxio_com&lr=&proxystylesheet=www_roxio_com&oe=&restrict=kb&filter=0

I've got a Dell which has Roxio Record Now pre-installed. It's never used tho'. Do you think this could be the source of my problem?
Thanks for the Roxio links, Peru. Will look into it.
Karl Latimer
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:58 am

It can't hurt to try uninstalling any Roxio products and see if the problem goes away.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:55 pm

What are the source of your video files, DV-AAVI, AVI, MPEG, WMV, etc.. Also, do you have any jpeg photos? If so, what size are they.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby billy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:50 am

Hi there,
I am having a similar problem with burning a project to DVD with P.E.3.
I am using a Dimension E525, Windows Vista home edition basic, 222Gb of space, 1.9ghz.( I have 96Gb space left).
I have been using both software and computer since May 2007, without any issues until the last 3-4 weeks.
My issue is burning a project to DVD, when I get to the last section of the burn process, then a 'serious error' window appears and the program closes down. I didn't have this before as I have burned quite a few projects to DVD with great success.(although, nothing over 30mins).
I haven't installed any new software recently, but here is what I have tried before coming here for help. (as Adobe don't give any technical support with this program on Vista, mmm...thanks). Anyway,..
I have;
de-fragged(regurlarly).
optimised (regurlarly).
cleaned disc(regurlarly).
scanned for problems using, the latest Norton, Spybot, and Dell support diagnostics etc. All passed and super green!
I have un-installed every trace of Roxio products, as I don't use any of them anyway.
Re-installed P.E.3 with/ without deleting the project folder. Still no joy!!!
I can burn the projects to a folder, but I don't know what to do to make them work on a DVD disc. ( i'm using DVD+RW) as I always have without previous issues.
My questions then;
Any idea's what could have caused this?
Can it be rectified?
Can you inform me how to burn the folders to DVD, to play as a film?
Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon.
Billy.
billy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:11 am

Did you see Chuck's post right above yours, billy?

The chief problems with transcoding occur for one of two reasons:

1) Source files. DV-AVIs are your ideal source files -- others can cause problems. MPEGs may or may not work and have lots of liabilities even when they do. Other AVI codecs, such as Divx and MJPEGs (the codec used for AVI video from still cameras) can likewise cause serious challenges for the program.

Photos directly from digital cameras are the chief cause of problems, since they are as much as 20 or 25 times the size of a video frame. Optimize your photo size for any slideshow so that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size and you'll greatly improve your chance for a successful transcoding -- and speed the process also!

2) Communication problems with your DVD burner. We always recommend you burn your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a DVD disk. This eliminates another major logjam in the process, and moving the files from your hard drive to a DVD is a quick, simple process.

Here's how to move your DVD files from your hard drive to a DVD. (BTW, don't use a DVD-RW disk if you plan to play your DVD on a standalone player hooked up to your TV. Most DVD players have serious problems with DVD-RWs.)
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbfa615
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby billy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:34 am

Thanks for your swift response and help Steve, most appreciated.
I have been using footage from a 30Gb hard drive digital vid camera, that saves my clips down as MPG movie clips to a folder and for the latest film projects I haven't used any still images this time, that's why I'm so baffled by this. Very useful info though Steve, thankyou.
I will try again by reverting the footage as you mentioned.
Cheers.
P.S. I will get back to you soon to let yourself and others know if it worked.
Billy.
billy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:12 am

As I said, Billy, (and I don't want to go into too many details since I don't want to hijack Karl's thread), MPEGs are potentially problematic.
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbc6cab

Converting those files to DV-AVIs before you edit them in Premiere Elements will likely solve your problems. Here's how.
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e

But, if you want to talk about it more, let's start a new thread so we can continue to work with Karl on this one. thanks.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby billy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Okay Steve, thankyou,
Apologies to Karl, I didn't mean to hijack your thread bud! I just thought we had similar problems and I am new to this or any other forum.
Billy.
billy
New User
New User

Postby Karl Latimer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:50 pm

No problem Billy, I'm new to this forum too.
I have resolved my problem at long last :-D :-D =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/

I've tried so many ways of resolving my problem, it's difficult to recall which one worked.
I think I did this...
File > Project Archiver > Archive Project

I then opened the newly archived project, then:
Export > MPEG > PAL DVD

Either way, I ended up with a Quicktime version of my movie.
I then opened a new PE3 project and imported the whole Quicktime movie, made a few edits and burned to DVD without a single error/shutdown.

Great forum, many thanks for all help/suggestions. See you soon (when it all goes wrong again)
Karl Latimer
New User
New User

Next

Return to Prior Versions