They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Merging Tracks

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Merging Tracks

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:40 am

Over the course of some way-too-late-nite editing (note to self, dont edit when I'm really tired), I realized I had split an audio clip on Track 2 a number of times. I snapped them together and the audio plays smoothly but is there a way to merge the track back to a single clip? Is it necessary? (P.S. - Chuck, this is my first editing project so I am reading your book, experimenting and learning a ton.) Thanks
Peter

Postby Wheat King » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:56 am

You can lasso the audio clips together and group them so that they will all move together. Or if it was one audio clip from your media panel you can drag it down to another track on the time line and then "clear" (not delete) the pieces. Clearing the pieces should not cause a ripple delete which you may or may not want)

Chuck and Steve's book does a good job of explaining the difference.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks for the compliment on the book, Steve helped a little too :)

Jamal's suggestion is the best at this point, you really can't go back and undo I suppose. Either lasso the audio clips or Shift+Click the ones you want to group together, right click and select 'Group'. That will keep them together.

And remember, the original audio is not really split, the best thing about this type of editing. You can always bring the original audio clip back into your project and replace the split up one.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:03 pm

I understand lassoing and grouping. That probably makes the most sense in my case. I wanted to avoid replacing the audio clip with the original because I purposely trimmed both ends of it and am uncomfortable that I could get it back in place to match the beat of the music to the video clip transitions I currently have. Any tricks to do that? and if so would I clear the current clip as Jamal suggested? Jamal, I dont understand the ripple delete you mentioned.
Peter

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:33 pm

Setting unnumbered timeline markers as you play the audio is the best way. You just need to tweak them a little when you are done. Then you can add all the video and photos at the beats using the auto slide show feature in Premiere Elements. Steve has a tutorial on this over in the products section.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:12 am

usually when I hold the CTRL key and click SPLIT CLIP, I only clip Track 1 and Audio 2 remains untouched. Periodically though Audio 2 splits even with the CTRL key. Why is that?
Peter

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:22 am

If you have a clip selected when you click Split Clip, it will split only that clip (assuming the CTI is on that clip).

But, if you have no clips select when you click Split Clip, it should slice through your entire project at the CTI's position.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 am

Good tip Steve :)
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:04 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:But, if you have no clips select when you click Split Clip, it should slice through your entire project at the CTI's position.

=D> I didn't know that! Good tip
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:47 pm

yep, thats what happened. Thanks!
Peter

Return to Prior Versions