They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Way to use Organizer

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Way to use Organizer

Postby thhult » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:10 pm

One of the new feature is the Organizer. Earlier when I start to plan a new project I collect all video clips and still images as I plan to have access to. Videos I capture from DV camcorder and stills are in the PSE organizer.
Now in PE4 all video clips collect in organizer together with all stills. In the project panel I create folders and subfolders to organize all gross material.
Is there any possibility to transfer videos and clips from Organizer panel direct (not by the timeline) to a specific folder in the Project panel ?
Another question can you see the creating date for all stills and video as you can see in PSE ?

Grateful for all ideas.
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Way to use Organizer

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:07 pm

Just use Microsoft Search. It's actually accurate and you have a choice of searching and viewing the date modified, date created, or last date accessed. The Organizer only allows searching by date modifed, and is inaccurate.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:40 am

Here's some additional findings about the Organizer. When you want to search by date, add two days to the end date. Let's say you want to search for media with a modified date of June 3, 2006. To make sure you get all the 3rd, for Start Date use 2006, Jun, 3, and for End Date use 2006, Jun,5. If there is media with a modified date on the 4th, that will most likely be included, but it may not be all the 4th. In order to include all the 4th as well, you need to specify June 6th for the end date.

And after you do one search, click Show All first before doing another search. Otherwise the results may stay the same as the previous search.

The Organizer searches for the modified date, not the date shot, although the date shot and modified date are usually the same for photos until you edit them. For some reason Adobe doesn't want to use the EXIF data.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:46 am

RJ Johnston wrote:When you want to search by date, add two days to the end date. Let's say you want to search for media with a modified date of June 3, 2006. To make sure you get all the 3rd, for Start Date use 2006, Jun, 3, and for End Date use 2006, Jun,5. If there is media with a modified date on the 4th, that will most likely be included, but it may not be all the 4th. In order to include all the 4th as well, you need to specify June 6th for the end date.

That is absolutely ridiculous! If you are searching for something modified on June 3, 2006 you should specify that date. If the software makes you jump through hoops to do something that simple, use different software (and tell the programmer to fix his code)!
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:25 pm

Rob and everyone,

FYI - The comments that you made in this thread about the errors in the Organizer date search in Premiere Elements 4 are very similar (in fact I suspect that they are the same) as what I have seen posted as PS Elements v 6 errors over on the Photoshop Elements forum at the Adobe site. In almost all cases, people are saying that they did not have these problems with the PSE v5 Organizer.

So my plan is not to use the Organizer with PRE 4. I will continue to use the PSE 5 Organizer for my projects, because it seems to work OK for me. Of course, this means I have no integration of the Organizer to Premiere Elements. If Adobe makes adjustments/fixes to the PRE4/PSE6 Organizer, then I will reconsider.

EDIT - Rob, there is one comment that is puzzling me. Your reference to Adobe not using the EXIF data: my observation is that in PSE 5 and previous versions they do use the EXIF for the date the photo was taken when it is present. I will do some more experimenting to verify for example that in PSE 5 when I do a date search on a photo that I have edited, the date search results show that photo on the date that is was taken instead of the date that I did the photo edit in PSE.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:14 pm

I did a test.

The Organizer uses EXIF data for photos (tested by editing a photo then saving, it had the correct date afterwards).

However, the organizer does not detect the correct date and time for DV-AVIs. It uses the date the video was imported into the computer. Kinda defeats the purpose of the Organizer - at least for DV-AVIs.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm

good comments JohnnyO
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:45 am

JohnnyO, did you use the date range limiter in PreElem4 to limit which media was presented in the Organizer panel? The date range limiter doesn't use the EXIF date shot data. But now that I see your post, I will have to check it again.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:56 am

I double-checked and the Organizer in PreElm4 uses the date modified for the date range limiter.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:48 am

RJ:

Yes I did. I don't know why I am receiving different results than you are. I re-did the test this morning. I will tell you exactly what I did step by step

1. I opened the organizer in Photoshop Elements 6.
2. I randomally selected a photo taken on Augiust 26, and opened it in the full edit mode.
3. I made simple modifications to the photo and saved it by replacing the original.
4. I verified the modified date of the photo was 10/27.
5. In the photo elements organizer I selected a date range of August 25 2007 through August 31 2007
6. I scrolled down an dthe modified photo was there in the order that the shot was taken
7. I opened Premiere Elements 6.0
8. I selected the Organizer.
9. I set the date range to August 25 2007 through August 31 2007
10. I scrolled down and the edited photo was there in the order that the shot was taken.

It seems to be working correctly for me.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:52 am

Just another note

In my organizer, I also had photos taken by someone else. They did not have the date set on their camera. So I applied a correction so they would be sorted correctly in mu organizer. Even these photos show up in the correct place when I select date range.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:57 am

I have been searching for a utility (hopefully freeware) to take the DV-AVI date/time code and create EXIF info from it. I have not been able to find a utility to automatically do this.

Does anybody know of any?
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:25 am

I wrote

I have been searching for a utility (hopefully freeware) to take the DV-AVI date/time code and create EXIF info from it. I have not been able to find a utility to automatically do this.

I have the answer to this right on my own computer. The answer is DVDATE (I have the latest version which is 6.4)

All you need to do is open dvdate, then select all the DV-AVI Files to load. After loading, select them all in the list.

Then choose the menu Rename->Modify the date of the file (or ctrl+b). The timestamp of the DV-AVI files will be modified to match the time/date code imbedded in the DV-AVI. The DV-AVIs are then sorted correctly in th Organizer.

I tested this by selecting a date range in the Organizer and it works.

The link to the DVDATE web site is:

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

Now the Organizer is completely useful for me. =D>
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:13 pm

The one thing that I don't have installed on my computer is Photoshop Elements. I'll download and install the trial version. That may be the whole key to getting this to work.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Rob,

Do you have Photoshop Elements 6 installed on that machine or only Premiere Elements 4?
I am asking because I wonder if only having Premiere Elements 4 installed would make a difference in how the Organizer processes?

EDIT - Rob, I saw your post after I submitted mine, so I now know that you did not have PSE 6 installed.

JohnnyO,

Do you have any MPEG-2 files created by Premiere Elements (or any other MPEG-2 format files) in your Organizer?

If yes, do you get thumbnail images for them?
(I am asking this question because in PSE 5, I do not have any image on the thumbnails for my MPEG2 files - even those created by PRE 3. I have been told by Adobe that I need a system registered MPEG2 codec in order to get images on the thumbnails and that the PRE 3 MPEG2 codec is not system registered but is only available to PRE 3. So I wonder what happens with PRE 4 and PSE 6?)
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Prior Versions