They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The solution to the version 4 project file corruption issue

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

The solution to the version 4 project file corruption issue

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:18 am

I'm happy to report that, after working with Mike Iampietro and his Adobe team, Chuck and some of the helpful people on this forum, I've discovered what's triggering the file corruption issue in version 4.

And the best news is that the files aren't being corrupted at all.

The issue is related to the fact that I tend to undock my Premiere Elements workspace panels and arrange them across my dual-monitor system. Most of the panels -- the Monitor, the Audio Meters, the DVD Monitor -- will undock and reposition with no problem. However, undocking the Timeline/Sceneline panel seems to trigger something in the program, causing the program to see some project files as corrupt.

The project files are not, in fact, corrupt at all. When I restored my workspace, I could open even files that had given me error codes for weeks, and I no longer have any fear of losing my work.

That said, I'm going to sound the all-clear for this program (within that minor limitation). As I've said in my review of this version of the program (available under the Articles button above), I think this is a major upgrade overall and, despite a few minor issues (which we've discussed elsewhere), I'm pleased to give it my thumbs-up endorsement.

So those of you who've been afraid to break the seal on the software, I think you're good to go.

We, at Muvipix, look forward to hearing of your success! Happy moviemaking!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: The solution to the version 4 project file corruption issue

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:25 am

Steve,
Great to hear. I will install my version and start testing immediately. BTW, any possibility that some of the new effects would work under version 3 ;) ? We could then have the best of both worlds.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:33 am

Vernon, I think, once you use version 4 for a few days, you won't go back to version 3. I miss having easy access to the Properties panel, but otherwise I've found it an improved working environment and a very aesthetically pleasant interface.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:38 am

Very good indeed, Steve!

It is also good that Adobe has taken note of our concerns (and so they should).
I think everyone concerned in this issue should be congratulated for helping out and pushing foward! =D>

I can hear the shrink wrap already! :-D

Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:44 am

It's interesting that Bob and I were having similar problems -- especially if you note that, in his avatar photo, he's sitting in front a a dual-monitor system!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Stregga » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:12 am

BTW, any possibility that some of the new effects would work under version 3

Vernon,
I agree with Steve aside from some of the minor issues, I am having a blast using PE4, and I already tried adding the new effects to PE3 and while they work, they give you a watermarker that you don't want on your final production.
Gateway GM5664 Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 1TB HDD (2 x 500GB) 3.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB OBM) Realtek HDSC Dual 19" Monitor Display
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob D » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:36 am

Steve,

You are right I use both monitors by undocking panels. I usually just have the monitor panel undocked, but I know in last nights testing I also undocked the (going by memory now) Menu panel (one for setting up the dvd menu). In fact I undocked it and closed it. It shows up when you undock the monitor panel and really isn't needed until the time I'm ready for creating a DVD. By deleting it entirely it gives me more room for the Projects TAB in Tasks.

But, I had thought at one time when I was getting the Serious Error that I clicked on restore panels but continued to have the issue. I'm probably wrong, since it was a flurry of frustration at that time. So I'm pretty happy with this issue being resolved. Last nights testing form me proved that. And now that I think about it I never undocked the timeline (My Project). So that I have full understanding. If I undock my timeline, so that it can stretch across 2 monitors, only if I save (or autosave) when this is undocked will I have an issue? What if I work this way and before closing/saving I redock the timeline panel?

And lastly, I haven't read everything in the forum yet, so I apologize if this is already addressed in my Serious Error thread, but last nights testing for me did uncover some issues with trying to click on Disc in Share tab. Have you experienced anything with that? Also, when trying to take a 5 minute project and transfer it to youtube it would be unable to make a connection.... HTTP error. This after waiting 45 minutes for it to render.

I will agree with you that it is a wonderful product to work in though. There are still a few little things I miss that were in PE2. Like in the monitor panel it used to have the total time of the project in the lower right. Also, I haven't checked, but I think in PE2 I was able to tell what project I was working on. No where in PE4 can I see the title of the project I am currently working on. Would come in handy when testing of closing and openning up multiple projects to see if the error would occur.
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:43 am

Stregga wrote:
BTW, any possibility that some of the new effects would work under version 3

Vernon,
I agree with Steve aside from some of the minor issues, I am having a blast using PE4, and I already tried adding the new effects to PE3 and while they work, they give you a watermarker that you don't want on your final production.

Stregga, Is this for all the new effects? How does one get rid of the watermark? My guess is that it'll cost ya??? :lol:
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JRjr » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:02 am

So Steve, from your post, it appears that you are able to undock some panels, but not others, specifically the timeline, or at least not without this serious "corruption" problem. Did you have any luck undocking the Properties panel? The jury still seems to be out this one, unless I've missed something.

I too have a dual monitor setup, and with PrEl 2 I've got my timeline on the 2nd monitor, also properties. For me I'd rather keep the timeline on monitor 2, as well as BOTH the Effects panel & the Propterties panel opened simultaneously, even if I have to keep them on monitor 1.

BTW, I did cancel my download Monday, and the charge STILL appeared on my credit card! They've assured me I'll get the full credit back, which of course I've never doubted. So now, do I cancel my cancel???!!! :-k

Another couple of questions: Can you save User Appearances (panels custom-rearranged) so that you can switch between them at any point? Or at least does PrEl 4 remember your last arrangement from the previous session? As I recall getting the Media panel to remember columns has been a problem. I bring this up for this reason: Could you move Panels around to suit your work preferences, but then switch back to the "default" before closing down? This could be one way around the corruption issue. Just wondering. But without presets this constant manual rearrangement would get old quickly I suspect.

So, I'm back to my quandry: upgrade or not? Why ME! ;)

As always, thanks.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:11 am

The Tasks panel (which contains all of the Media, Effects, Transitions, Properties, DVD Menu and Share panels) is locked. The individual panels can not be undocked and, in fact, the Task panel itself remains locked to the interface.

Whatever other configuration you set up, however, does stay in place when you close and re-open the program or change projects. The exception is the Preview Monitor, which always vanishes when you open a new project and then reappears, floating in the center of the screen, when you double-click on any clip. An annoyance to be sure but not a fatal one.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:49 pm

Maybe I am just too tired to understand this right now, but I am confused about how the interface needs to be on a dual monitor system. Do we have to leave the whole thing on the primary monitor, as if we had only one?

I am seriously considering upgrading from PE2, but not until I know what I am in for....

Jennifer
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:57 pm

Fabouous news! I just ordered from Amazon.com using the link on this website!

Than's for figuring this out!!! =D>
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:30 pm

Steve, in regard to Jennifer's question, is there a dual monitor workspace setup you need to stay way from so the files aren't corrupted?
If you re-install the program do project files still get the error with the workspace setup incorrectly?

I guess the questions are;
1. To fix the 'Serious Error' is re-installing the program all you have to do?
2. If there is also an issue with the workspace setup on dual monitor system, what is the correct setup?
3. Does question 1 make question 2 irrelevant?
4. When will the Adobe Forum completely explode?
5. When will all the people realize that Muvipix is a great place and an even better forum?
6. Why do I keep asking questions that have nothing to do with this topic?

Thanks for using the Amazon link at muvipix JohnnyO :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:47 pm

As long as you don't undock the Timeline/Sceneline you won't have any problems.

Naturally, there is no 'correct' set-up for two monitors, but here's the one I've been playing with:

My right-hand monitor has the Tasks panel taking up the top half of the screen and the Timeline/Sceneline taking up the bottom half.

My left-hand monitor has the Monitor panel in the upper left, the Preview Monitor in the lower right and the Audio Meteres and Audio Controls panels shaped around them.

I suppose, if you really wanted the vertical space, you could undock the Timeline and move it to its own monitor temporarily. You'll still have no problems opening files as long as you Restore Workspace before you close.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:00 pm

And are you saying that a re-install does not solve the problem but you also must adhere to the workspace setup?

So then my normal dual monitor setup would be a real problem, I like the Timeline to have a monitor all of its own.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Prior Versions