They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What does this mean?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

What does this mean?

Postby ridon127 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:56 pm

I just got my computer back and I am still haveing problems. When I am trying to burn a disk a little box comes up with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it. There is no message, only a R. What does that mean? It did it before I took it to the Geek Sqaud and it is still doing it. I have plenty of memory as there is nothing on the computer now but the operating system and prel. Please help
Thank you
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: What does this mean?

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Do you know what the Geek Squad did to your computer? Did they reformat the drive?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:31 pm

They ran a diagnostics test, unit was disassembled and inspected and operating system installation. I had 2--100 gig hard drives but they unsaddled them and now I have 1--200 gig hard drive. I had WIndows XP Media Ed., but now all I have is Windows Xp basically. I don't have any of my programs that were on here before which I didn't really use anyway. So I guess that is a good thing. All I wanted this for was my PrEl and PSE--nothing else. Now that I think about it, there probably isn't any CD burning software on here. But I was getting that message before I took it in. I have Lightscribe disc which have always worked fine but now it says incompatabile disk.
Thanks
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:26 pm

Ouch! Did you KNOW they were going to do this, Donna? I'm not so sure I'd have been happy about all those "improvements."
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:44 pm

WelllllI gave them the back up CD I had which I bought from HP. But the only thing on the disk is the Operating System. The guy at best buy said I should have recieved 2 disks with the other programs on it. I called HP and I couldn't understand a word the tech was saying but I believe he said I would have to purchase the disk with the programs on it. I was so frustrated by that point I told him I would call back during the day and talk to a different person. SO that issue remains unsolved at this point. I just burned a music CD with no trouble. The geek squad restored all my drivers, etc. As for the harddrive, no I had no clue until I picked it up. I don't know what the issue is with burning a DVD, I have tried several different disk and I get the same error.
Thanks
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:28 pm

Chances are they never updated your drivers and who knows what else. Call Best Buy back and tell them that their wonderful techs didn't do the job right and you need it fixed. Tell them the problem you are having and that you would like them to make it work like it used to. You brought it to them to make it better, not worse. If they don't hop right on it let me know and give me the phone number to the store please :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:11 pm

If I remember correctly, that error is generated by the optical drive itself. I got it one time when I was trying to burn a DVD but had accidently put a CD in instead.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ridon127 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:03 pm

O.K. Chuck. I called the geek squad and told them the issues. They said everything was fine and the diagnostics didn't show any problems. I explained to the guy it was in worse shape than when I brought it in. So as soon as I finish checking my e-mail, I am going to pack it up and take it back. The guy wasn't the tech I had been talking to and he wasn't the nicest person I dealt with. He wasn't rude, just not real friendly. I will let you know but the phone number is 281-998-0938 and I think it is press 4 for the geek squad.

Dave, I made sure it was a DVD. All my lightscribe disks are DVD. I have tried just regular DVD's and I still get that little box. I am sooooooooo frustrated.

Thanks for your help.
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:08 pm

Donna, I guess what I was trying to say was that I suspect that the problem is in the optical drive. I recall checking on that error and finding that it originated from the drive. Would it be possible for you to swap out the drive with another to see if it makes a difference?

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ridon127 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:21 pm

Dave,

I don't know anything about swapping out drives. I do good to turn the thing on..LOL The geek squad has it again so I could call them and ask them to check the optical drive?? My video quality is horrible since I got it back. I told them that and they said it was the way I compressed the files. It works fine on the DVD I burned prior to them fixing it. They don't seem to know what the problem is. When I took it in I had 2--100 gig hard drives. They said they unsaddle them and now I would have 1--200 gig hard drive. Well, today they discovered there was only 1-100 gig hard drive. After some checking, they found the other hard drive and reformatted it so I am back to 2 hard drives. I should have boxed the freakin thing up and sent it to Chuck and paid him what I paid the geek squad..LOL
Thank you Dave. I really appreciate all the help.
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:26 pm

Changing out a CD/DVD drive is all of a 5 minute project in most computers, but I do understand that if it's not something you're familiar with it can seem a daunting task. You're right about how nice it would be if you were "in the neighborhood." I hate to hear of anyone being at the mercy of some of those guys who like to mess with all kinds of things that are unrelated to the reason that you brought the system in to begin with. I make my living being the "computer guy" who really cares about his clients, and to whom they can turn when they need someone they can trust. I'm not too enthusiastic about the way some outfits go about business.

Edited by author to remove what was probably an inappropriate comment.

Dave McElderry

Postby ridon127 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:41 pm

The Geek Squad is not my first choice but since they are HP certified, I went to them. I sure wish you were closer. I feel better with someone who doesn't recieve kick back for a"job well done"..I had a guy I used for a long time that did alot of work for us. Then when I got my PrEl 1.0, my processor wasn't fast enough so we had him upgrade it. Then windows didn't reconnize the processor, then it was one thing after another. He loaded alot of his software, including operating system, antivirus, etc and told me he had had it with my computer. He said he was ready to committ sucide after working on it. When I couldn't upgrade alot of things, I gave him a call and he never returned my phone calls. So I gave it up and ended up buying a new computer which I should have done in the first place. He always did a good job and was very fair with his prices. We kept the computer and the girls just play games on it. That is about all it is good for now. I hook it up to the net every now and then and update what I can. I can't do much with microsoft because I get a message I don't have valid microsoft OS. or something to that effect. I am really disappointed in them. They seem totally clueless. I don't know why my video quality is so poor. They are basically saying it is something I did in the way I saved the files. That could be true, I don't know anymore..
Thanks again.
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gooder » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:30 am

Hello Donna,

You mentioned something about HP so I take it that your PC is from them!

Anyway, It could be worth a try to send HP an email as the support I have had from my HP system has been very good! They also used to supply a recovery DVD by post. It wil cost you a small fee but you could get everything back to normal yourself by using these recovery dvd's!

Just backup your files and tale a big mug of tea (or something stronger) and go through re-installing everything:-D

About the place of where you got your PC checked!

1, Write down everything that is wrong with your PC (this includes what was working before and after) and hand it in as a letter, date it and sign it!
2, Request what you would like to be fixed and give them 14 days to comply!
3, Advise them that you will seek legal advice if nothing is done about this!
4, Their work by law should be under warranty!

I would do things a bit stronger like arranging an appointment with the head of the department and let him know what WILL happen if my PC is not fixed! But for yourself I would go with the nice but firm approach!

Hope you get everything sorted!
Good luck!
Lee

Edit!

Also let them know that you will let HP know all about this situation!!!
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:44 am

Hi Lee,
Thanks for the advise. Best Buy opens on about 20 minutes so I will give them a call and I am also going to get a letter off to HP. The may be able to help. I am so thankful for all the advise and help I have recieved here. I will let you know how this turns out.
Thank you
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Prior Versions