They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Reasons I have to return to version 2

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Re: Reasons I have to return to version 2

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:31 am

A little late posting here but, FWIW, I use PrElv2 on my PC that has 4Gb RAM installed and I have had no problems or issues with stability at all.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am

The problems I had with 2G in all versions starting with v2, and including v4, is that I would get random blank photos. I could not get this problem to happen with less than 2G. I have since learned to downsize, but that only makes the problem happen less often. It does not eliminate it.
What eliminates it totally is converting to PSDs.
I have never had a stability problem at all with 2G.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videogeorge » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:50 am

I've used PE2 for the last 3 years or so and its worked great for me. I have nothing spectacular, a Dell 4500 Pentium 4, 1 GB
Ram, 250 gb hard drive. My concern with PE 4 has nothing to do with its technical ability but with the interface and layout.
It's just the consumerish look, feel, and labelling that in all honesty tends to confuse me. I've had it for about 3 months
and it's probably just a familiarity issue. That's my .02 cents worth.
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Andy_E » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:58 am

RJ Johnston wrote:If you click "disk" and it crashes, then you probably have or had Roxio installed.

Not wanting to highjack someone else's thread but.....

Do you know if a simple uninstall of Roxio removes this problem?

The first time I click on "disk" PE3 occasionally crashes, PE4 always does. When I restart PE and do it again, it's always ok. I've treated it as a minor workflow annoyance since I always save my work prior to that point. "Save -> click -> crash -> restart -> click -> run to completion" hasn't been too problematic.

Roxio was (and is) on my laptop when I bought it. I haven't used it to-date (and don't plan to) so getting rid of it wouldn't be a bother.
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Andy_E » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:59 am

EDIT: removed duplicate post
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kelvindodd » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:13 am

RJ Johnston wrote:If you click "disk" and it crashes, then you probably have or had Roxio installed.

Good call there, RJ. I do have Roxio since it came with my PC, and I use it all the time. So removing it isn't an option for me unless I replace it with something else.

For those who are following, I reinstalled my memory (because my work had become freakishly slow) and was able to export my timeline and burn via PE2. So, I plan on making my last changes on my project in 4, again clicking save after every change I make (crash, bang, boom) and hopefully being done with these shenanigans pretty soon.

Like I said, I plan on keeping 4 installed for the few occasions where I want/need to use some of its transitions and effects on my clips. But sorry Adobe, I gotta stick with what works.

Oh and one other annoyance I couldn't figure out...anyone know how to create a title from an existing in PE4??? Why would they remove such a simple, yet useful function?

Thanks to all who helped me out through all this!
kelvindodd
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:19 am

If you right-click on a title in the Media/Project file (not on the timeline) and choose Copy then Paste, it creates a duplicate which you can edit as needed.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:24 am

kelvindodd wrote:So, I'm in the middle of huge project right now and I have no choice but to stick with PE4 until I'm done. But as soon as I can, I have no choice but to revert to PE2. See below. I really hate to, but I don't see where I have a choice.

If anyone has fixes in mind for any of these problems, I would love to hear from you. I'd much rather have the opportunity to keep working with PE4, but at the rate I'm going I'll never get my project completed!

Hello Kelvindodd,

I have been watching this thread very closely and what I suggest is to send Adobe a letter of complaint or go back to an earlier version.
If you do send them a letter, then get it registered and keep it simple, short and to the point!

I think a few people on this forum would not even stand up and post such a reply, but this version is not working for so many people and adobe have yet to release a patch! The more complaints they get, the better it is for the consumer!

There are many quick fixes on this forum (due to the great knowledge of the members) for certain issues that Premiere Elements 4 has
but, why should you have to put up with a poor workflow! I think that is where the higher priced software shows its true meaning, and as
a user of Pro CS3 I would never use Elements 4!

I started out with Premiere Elements 1 and it still is a great piece of software, in fact I still use it from time to time! So, do yourself a
favour and get a workflow that works for you! :)

Adobe has some excellent products but this version 4 is just not good enough for so many people!

Hope it helps.
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Previous

Return to Prior Versions