They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Jerky video & error-Desktop Display Mode has been reset

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Jerky video & error-Desktop Display Mode has been reset

Postby clpvt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:21 am

I've just upgraded from Premiere Elements to v.3 and am having trouble importing video clips from Elements 3. I actually import fine but after I render the project, the video is choppy and not completely synched with the audio. I'm also importing still pictures as well in the project.

I also have a second problem. As I said, I've just installed Adobe Premier Elements 3 and am making my first slide show/video clip project. I just noticed a yellow triangle at the bottom of the screen which when I click on it, an Events Window is opened. I ended up with about 30 of this same message.

The message is: "Desktop Display Mode has been reset because the video card returned an error. Please reset the Desktop Display Mode in the Playback Settings dialog as this may impact your playback performance."

I think I found the screen from the Preferences option but there are so many choices on the screens, I'm really not sure how to proceed...
clpvt
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:25 am

An answer to the desktop display is here
http://muvipix.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=1389#1389

For the jerky video we need as much information as you can. Where did the video come from and what is the format? What are your system specs?
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby clpvt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:32 pm

Chuck: The solution in the link doesn't work. I was told to change the Playback settings for the desktop display mode to compatible or standard, whichever is opposite of what I have now. Compatible is what I have. I change it to standard and click OK, OK but the change doesn't hold. It keeps reverting back to the top one which is Compatible. So this doesn't seem to be the solution.

The video came from my Canon Power Shot s2 IS 5.0 mega pixel camera. It's in avi format and saved on my harddrive. I exported it from Photoshop Elements 3 to Premiere Elements. I have about 8 of them. The first one is the largest at 293.8 MB, 640X480 and runs for 4:38. I had about 50 pictures and about 8 clips that I was trying to make into a slide show in Premiere from a collection in PE3.

I have Windows XP professional, version 2002, Service Pack 2.
I have Intel(R), Celeron(R) CPU 2.93 GHz
2.94 GHz, 448 MB of RAM.

My C drive has 58.3 GB free, using 16.1 at present. My programs are stored on this. My pictures are stored on a second hard drive. I'm using 122 GB with 26.9 GB free. I just unchecked Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching on both the C and D drives. I hope this wasn't a mistake.
clpvt
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:55 pm

Since you have Canon digital camera video (motion jpeg in that AVI file type) from your S2IS, you might try the intermediate step of importing the video clip to Windows Movie Maker, then exporting from there as DV-AVI.

this link to the Adobe fourm site has instructions
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc247e2

WHY do I recommend that you try this on one clip first -
I did it with my Canon A620 video (not quite as good as your S2IS, I believe) and it improved my results from Premiere Elements 3.

I am not sure that it will work for your video, but it is definitely worth a try.

Also, did you make a slideshow in Photoshop Elements which included those video files and then send the slideshow over to Premiere Elements? Or are you making the entirel slideshow/video in Premiere Elements? Knowing which of these workflows you are using will help to analyze your problems.l
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby clpvt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:59 pm

I don't believe that PE3 allows you to mix still pictures and video together into a slide show so I've been putting the pictures and video clips in order in a PE3 collection, opening up a new project in Premiere and then sending highlighting the photos and clips in PE3 and then clicking on send to Adobe Premiere.

I will try your suggestion about Windows Movie Maker. Thanks.
clpvt
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:45 pm

So you have Photoshop Elements 3 and Premiere Elements 3

I missed that and was thinking Photoshop Elements 5. I think that you are correct that the Photoshop Elements 3 can not have video clips in the slide show. That's not a problem: mainly my question was to understand your workflow.

Another question -
50 photos - probably 5 MP resolution?
Many people find that they must downsize the megapixel resolution of their photos in order to use photo files in Premiere Elements. If you had more RAM, you might be OK using 50 photos as is - but at 448 MB RAM is low so caution is advised.

Once you try the Movie Maker route and Chuck also has the opportunity to review your postings, we can discuss additional suggestions (one of which may be to decrease the resolution on copies of your photo files).
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:43 am

By the way you CAN mix video and stills in slideshows in Premiere Elements.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions