They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

NEW SYSTEM

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Re: NEW SYSTEM

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Sorry, but it's not likely you'll see much of a boost by upgrading your graphics card and/or RAM, Kathy.

Unfortunately, to work with that type of video, you'd need a more powerful processor. IMHO, it would be better investment to wait until you can replace the system than to spend a few hundred dollars now on things that won't significantly improve your workflow.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Unfortunately, to work with that type of video, you'd need a more powerful processor. IMHO, it would be better investment to wait until you can replace the system than to spend a few hundred dollars now on things that won't significantly improve your workflow.

Steve,

Were you thinking that the Canon SR960 is an AVCHD camcorder ?
Based on a quick check on the B and H site, it shows the Canon ZR960 as a standard definition mini-DV camcorder and I had interpreted Chuck's response to say that the Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz on Kathy's computer would likely be OK for standard definition.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... order.html
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:21 am

Good point, Barb. But I got the idea Kathy was unhappy with her computer's performance with the video. And, if that's the case, I was indicating that an increase in RAM or a new graphics card would unlikely speed things up much.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kathyconnolly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks, Barb. I'm definitely unhappy with my laptop's video performance. I haven't tried this one yet because I keep forgetting to bring my T-Drive. My plan is to finish my Lady Gaga video while I'm alone in my office over the summer.

The guy JUST hooked this one up, and our tech guy had said a graphics card would stop my freezing issues. I was asking you all which one I should order. So Steve, you don't think a designated graphics card will stop my computer from crashing?

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Kathy :tx:
kathyconnolly

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:13 am

In my opinion, no. Premiere Elements is not graphics-intensive enough that a lack of graphics support would cause crashing.

More likely the issue is related to a lack of hard drive space or the presence of a lot of junk or temp files on your drive.

Assuming you've got 50-100 gigs of free space on your C drive, run this free tool to tune things up.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am

Also, updating your graphics card driver could solve your crashing issues ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to PRE Version 7