They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

transfer/overlay mode

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

transfer/overlay mode

Postby Di Hansen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 am

I am shopping for old/worn film stock footage to use in my next project. Yesterday, I came across a footage piece on iStock that states, "Simply place on top of your existing video in another layer and select a transfer mode that gives you the best results (overlay works great). Voila! Instant film damage. There are deep scratches, micro scratches and splotches."

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-video- ... st=afa176f

Question: Is it possible to do this in PE7? If so, how? I do not recognize the term "transfer mode"?

Please advise. Thanks!
Di Hansen
Di Hansen

Re: transfer/overlay mode

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi Di,
In Premiere Elements you only need to use the Old Film Effect, comes with the program so it is free :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:39 pm

No, Premiere Elements does not support that capability. That's a capability in Premiere Pro. However, Premiere Elements does come with the NewBlue Old Film effect that should be able to give you the look you want. Have you looked at that effect yet? See this help entry about it: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WS1935B016-022C-40a7-A467-F608236EA3CD.html.
Bob

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:14 pm

While Premiere Elements doesn't provide direct support for importing .FLV format, which is the format the comp is in, you can install ffdshow and flvsplitter.ax and import the FLV file into Premiere Elements (after adding .avi to the end of the file name).

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3190

But the other problem is the comp does not have transparency, and it doesn't look very good when you try to chromakey out the white background. So as Bob said, you would need an editor that supports blending modes. And better yet, if all you are interested in is the film scratches look, the there is the old film effect from New Blue included with Premiere Element 7.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Di Hansen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks, Chuck, Bob & RJ!
I so apologize! My spam filter must have sorted out the notification emails after your responses. :-({|=
Tonight, I decided to log in to see if I missed something in my post and thought it didn't get posted for support. Thanks for replying so quickly. Gosh, I love this resource for help! :razz:

I decided to purchase another stock clip with a similar effect that didn't need to be transferred/overlayed - a great clip, but $pendy. I will be reading the links you provided. ::C THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Chuck, Bob & RJ: I will experiment with the Old Film and New Blue Old Film Effects in the future. I've seen those on the list of effects but haven't tried the New Blue. Thanks!
RJ: Thanks for the tip about importing .flv into PRE...I have been thinking about how to effectively try out a .flv comp stock clip.

Have a great night! Thanks again!
Di :tup:
Di Hansen

Return to PRE Version 7