They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Feathering a cropped clip

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Re: Feathering a cropped clip

Postby Peru » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:16 pm

It may not be the effect you want, but I found that using a beveled edge will work on a cropped clip.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Use a feather matte like Chuck mentioned and export the AVI with transparency.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 pm

It looks like feathering the track matte works fairly well, although even if I use a circular track matte, the feathering is done rectangularly!?

momoffduty wrote:Use a feather matte like Chuck mentioned and export the AVI with transparency.

Cheryl, how do you export with transparency?
edit: and do I need to do that if I'm feathering the track matte?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Dave McElderry wrote: .. I'm working out of my home office, multitasking between this and "real" work, so I don't have the time to devote that I would like. I hate that. ;)

Yeah, don't you hate when work gets in the way of play :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Jayell wrote:Cheryl, how do you export with transparency?
edit: and do I need to do that if I'm feathering the track matte?

I would make a feathered matte in PSE. Transparent background file and draw with the marque tool a square or rectangle shape with a feather of about 30 or 20. Set the feather before you draw the shape. May have to test what % to feather. It depends on how big your psd file is. Doesn't matter what color, but I would not use black because you won't be able to see it in PrEl w/the default black color timeline view in the monitor. I would make a few psds with different feather %s and then put that number in the name of the psd. Saves time going back and forth between programs.

Use that matte as a track matte. Track 2 the matte and track 1 your video w/track matte applied. (A good rule to remember is that the track matte effect always has to point to a track above. Helped me remember.)

Set your WAB over the area in the timeline. File>Export>Movie

In the file save box, click on Settings. In the Settings box select Microsoft AVI (not DV-AVI)
Under the Video tab: Compression None
Millions of colors + (make sure you have the + sign)
Under Keyframe & Rendering: Bit Depth check box Maximum

Liked the Video of the fireworks, really dressed it up how you displayed PIPs.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:43 pm

I guess what I'm missing, Cheryl, is if you feather the matte within PrEl, then I don't need to go to photoshop .. and why do I need to export the avi at all? I can create the feathered matte within PrEl. And other than the fact that I've just discovered the placement of the matte is really weird, it works.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Not going for perfection here .. just a sample.
Bottom left used a feathered matte (feathering done in Photoshop) .. Top right matte feathered within PrEl.
NO exporting or reimporting of cropped AVI

I have to retract my statement that Steve's book trick does not work .. it DOES .. it's just that the mattes are placed really bizarelly on the screen (NOT placed directly over the cropped portion, as you might expect). You have to sort of play with them .. I don't quite understand that yet, but I CAN make it work. :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:57 pm

By the way, Cheryl, thanks for the explanation of exporting with transparency. I looked around but hadn't found the answer yet.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:02 pm

Peru wrote:It may not be the effect you want, but I found that using a beveled edge will work on a cropped clip.

Thanks, Peru. Isn't it amazing how combining different effects (and changing their order) can come up with completely different results than one might have expected.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Jayell wrote:I guess what I'm missing, Cheryl, is if you feather the matte within PrEl, then I don't need to go to photoshop .. and why do I need to export the avi at all? I can create the feathered matte within PrEl. And other than the fact that I've just discovered the placement of the matte is really weird, it works.

You are correct. I tend to do things the long way at times and I never cared for the feather effect in PrEl. The track matte effect is very sensitive. Move it a nudge and it can quit working...the same thing PrPro.

Glad you got it all worked out. :)
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:46 pm

momoffduty wrote:You are correct. I tend to do things the long way at times and I never cared for the feather effect in PrEl. The track matte effect is very sensitive. Move it a nudge and it can quit working...the same thing PrPro.

Yes, I think the pre-feathered matte looks a smidge better. Most of the time I'm just making little fun things for friends, so I go for speed over perfection .. but I like knowing there's other options when I want it to look just right. And I very much appreciate the time you take explaining things in understandable language.
Seems like since I've had PE7, the track matte has been more stable than in the past. I've been able to switch videos in and out and between tracks without it complaining.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to PRE Version 7