They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Slider control missing

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Slider control missing

Postby dsttexas » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:35 pm

I got an error message "running low on system resources", so exited out, rebooted, reloaded, and when I went to use the slider to get back to where I was after I had last saved, it was gone! Just a straight line in the box with no handle to grab. The ATI will still scrub ok, but no slider.

Rebooting and reloading again did not fix it. This is strange! Any hints to recover it?

Don
Dell Vostro quad core i7, 6GB, Win 10 64 bit, latest service levels. Sony Movie Studio 12, DVD Arch Studio 5, Adobe Premiere Elements 14.
dsttexas

Re: Slider control missing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:01 pm

What are you using for source video? what type of camcorder did it come from?

Try opening a new project, with no video in it, and see if you are able to see the whole interface.

If not, ensure that you have at least 20-30 gigs of free space on your C drive and that it's been freshly defragmented.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Svein Berger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Don,

Have you tried to restore the workspace. You find it under the Window menu.
Svein
-- Canon Legria HF M52, Canon HV20 --
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby dsttexas » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Restore workspace did not work. Opening a new project looked normal with the shuttle slider in place.

Evidently my .prel is getting in bad shape. Now it will no longer open - dies with windows saying "breakpoint has been reached" or something like that. I have loads of RAM available, and loads of Disk space that is not in need of defrag (less than 6%). I'm at the final stage ready to burn.

I did create a dv-avi before this, so I will re-load a new project with it, put back in my scene markers and DVD menus, and hopefully it will burn ok. I've got at least a hundred hours of labor invested in this one so far.

It would sure be nice if:

- Adobe would have a log of events as it opens a project, renders a project, burns a project, etc., that would show exactly the point of failure in processing the .prel, perhaps even include the line number in error messages it creates. Just putting in line numbers in the .prel, and giving us a .prel viewer would help us resolve many issues on our own, along with a known point of failure (.prel line number).

- Adobe would more thoroughly test their product, and make code quality at least as important as new features. Code that just crashes when encountering an issue is poor coding combined with inadequate testing.

But perhaps I dream too much!

Don
Dell Vostro quad core i7, 6GB, Win 10 64 bit, latest service levels. Sony Movie Studio 12, DVD Arch Studio 5, Adobe Premiere Elements 14.
dsttexas

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:28 am

You're right, Don. More specific error codes would make it easier to troubleshoot.

Meantime, the best solution seems to be follow the suggestions in my article on how to keep Premiere Elements running efficiently. Namely:
1) Always match your project settings to your source files.
2) Always down-rez your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels.
3) Render whenever you see red lines above your clips on the timeline.

There's more here:
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 7