They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE7 crashing with mpegsplitter error

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

PE7 crashing with mpegsplitter error

Postby ChancyRat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:53 pm

PE7 has been crashing while it's trying to open a file. For a few efforts to open, the crashing has been so repetitive that I've tried a dozen times and the file seems inaccessible, so I give up and go to a prior version. Sometimes it crashes 7 times in a row and then opens. Or it crashes once and then opens. Or it crashes once and then not for the next dozen times I open the same file. The only thing I've remotely wondered is if I'm clicking to proceed to the next command (such as choosing the file to open before PE is fully ready to execute this), but I've practiced waiting a good long time before proceeding to the next click and that doesn't help sometimes.

The Microsoft error system sends me to this page:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Resp ... e956939066

where the text is this:

Troubleshoot a problem with mpegsplitter

mpegsplitter has stopped working properly.
mpegsplitter is a codec. The file name of this codec is mpegsplitter.ax.

To try to solve this problem, follow these steps. One step might solve the problem, but if it doesn't, then go on to the next step.

1. Click to go to the Open Source Community website to check for and install mpegsplitter.ax updates
2. Use the regsvr32 command to unregister mpegsplitter.ax

If these steps don't solve the problem and you continue to receive problem reports, please consider filling out the survey at the bottom of this page. To help us continue to investigate this error, include the names of the add-ons that are currently enabled in Internet Explorer in the comments area of the survey.

What is a codec?

A codec is software that is used to compress or decompress a digital media file, such as a song or video. Media players and other programs use codecs to play and create digital media files.

When I go to the link in the webpage info, it doesn't tell me anything and I'm not savvy enough to understand what all this means and what to do. I also don't want to just try something for fear it's not what PE can handle.
I'm using a Lenovo laptop with XP Professional, all system s/w is updated, including Real Player.

I'm frightened this problem will increasingly repeat essentially rendering PE inoperable altogether. Thanks.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: PE7 crashing with mpegsplitter error

Postby Paul LS » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:45 am

Sounds like some sort of conflict. Have you installed any codec packs? You could try to rename it rather than unregsiter it, you can always change the name back later.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:51 am

Paul LS wrote:Sounds like some sort of conflict. Have you installed any codec packs? You could try to rename it rather than unregsiter it, you can always change the name back later.

Thanks for responding on a holiday weekend (if it is one to you). No, I haven't installed anything. What would I rename (rather than unregister - which I don't understand that part either)? I'm not understanding even the basic problem.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:34 am

It sounds like you or someone with access to your computer may have somehow installed a codec package such as K-lite. While many people do that without ever having a problem, other people encounter conflicts that cause problems. Mpegsplitter.ax is a file included in a number of codec bundles which often conflicts with other processes. If you do a google search on that file name, you will see many reports of problems.

What Paul is suggesting you do is locate that file on your computer and rename it. In many cases, that will take care of the problem.
Bob

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:16 am

Bob wrote:It sounds like you or someone with access to your computer may have somehow installed a codec package such as K-lite. While many people do that without ever having a problem, other people encounter conflicts that cause problems. Mpegsplitter.ax is a file included in a number of codec bundles which often conflicts with other processes. If you do a google search on that file name, you will see many reports of problems.

What Paul is suggesting you do is locate that file on your computer and rename it. In many cases, that will take care of the problem.

Thanks, when I'm logged in as administrator I'll check. I did install a codec pack with DivX when I installed it like over a year ago. I've had no problems until now. If a codec pack has to be the source of the problem, I guess that's it. Thanks again!
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:38 am

ChancyRat wrote:
Bob wrote:It sounds like you or someone with access to your computer may have somehow installed a codec package such as K-lite. While many people do that without ever having a problem, other people encounter conflicts that cause problems. Mpegsplitter.ax is a file included in a number of codec bundles which often conflicts with other processes. If you do a google search on that file name, you will see many reports of problems.

Thanks, when I'm logged in as administrator I'll check. I did install a codec pack with DivX when I installed it like over a year ago. I've had no problems until now. If a codec pack has to be the source of the problem, I guess that's it. Thanks again!

Well, renaming the file did not work. I did find it in the DivX folder.
I renamed it mpegsplitterrename.ax (if that matters).

Can I just delete the file?
Why did the MS info say this:
2. Use the regsvr32 command to unregister mpegsplitter.ax

And would someone mind sharing how to do that?
Is anything going to stop working if I do this, such as when using DivX?
Thanks.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:01 am

Here is link on mpegsplitter.ax , at the bottom it describes how to unregister it.

http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/80 ... oblem.html
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 7