They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported...

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported...

Postby drmark920 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:17 am

Hi Friends: I have been battling with the error message of ... "Type of file not supported or codec not installed." I have been throughout the forums searching for answers and attempting various suggestions. I am stumped and am reaching out for some wisdom and help.

1.) System Gateway — T-6859u, Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2Ghz, 4 Gig ram, Problem has existed on both Vista and upgraded Windows 7. I have used Premiere since Premier 5 (Full version not elements) including versions 6 and PRO. I have Elements on my laptop for convenience. Quicktime 7.6.6 installed.

2.) Assets- Problem exists with all AVI files. This includes files that worked previously but will no longer be recognized. I have used Elements since version 7 was new. It is only the last 4 months this has been and issue. These are AVIs that previously working in Elements 7 from Panasonic DV camera and other DV sources.

3.) Problem first appeared when Windows Update installed security patch KB975560. Once the Security patch installed Premiere quit running AVIs. When the patch was removed Premiere worked again. However, windows update continued to reload the patch. The patch has now been removed and prevented from reloading. However, the problem now persists.

4.) Other attempted repairs. Reloading Premiere Elements 7, Upgrading to Windows 7, Removing and reinstalling K-Lite Codec packs inc standard and 64bit. Loading LEADTOOLS. None has repaired the problem All the AVI files playback fine in other programs including Windows Movie Maker, Media Player Classic, Quicktime 7.6.6, WM player etc.

I'm not sure what to do next. I have been a dedicated Premiere user for so many years, I don't want to switch to another program. Any suggestions friends?

DrMark1105
drmark920
New User
New User

Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supporte

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 17, 2010 11:22 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Doc!

What type of camcorder did those AVIs come from?

AVIs can use any of hundreds of codecs, and not all are supported by Premiere Elements. Video from still cameras, for instance, can be MJPEG-AVIs, which play okay in Windows Media Player but can choke some video editors.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supporte

Postby Bob » Mon May 17, 2010 1:02 pm

It's not the codec, or the AVI files, or Premiere. I've seen other reports similar to this where KB975560 (an update to Quartz.dll the directshow platform that supports the Microsoft OS provided codecs) breaks AVIs.

Security patch KB975560 was issued February 9, 2010.

DrMark, do you have a system restore point prior to that date? If so, you could try using system restore to revert to that restore point. Or, if you have a system backup earlier than that you could try that.

Microsoft is supposed to provide free support to home users for problems associated with security updates. Call 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and Canada and clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (KB975560).

Not everyone that has this update installed is affected this way. My Windows 7 64-bit system is not, for example. But, it has affected many people using XP, VISTA, and Windows 7.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 7