They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Compatability with VCRs

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Compatability with VCRs

Postby jimschumacher525 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:26 pm

After working my way through several new videos, using Adobe Premiere Elements 7, I tried running them on my JVC VCR. I keep receiving an error message suggesting I'm using the wrong format. That's particularly strange, since the videos were originally recorded on DVD-RW disks, and that's precisely the format the VCR says it's made for. Any suggestions out there? Jim Schumacher
jimschumacher525
New User
New User

Re: Compatability with VCRs

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:18 am

Hi Jim and welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:

I'm assuming that the JVC VCR is a combined VCR and DVD player. Couple of questions. What brand of DVD-RW disc are you using? Do you have a DVD-R disc that you can try?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:24 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Jim!

Further what John suggests, remember that home-burned DVDs are very different than commercial DVDs -- and DVD-RWs even more so. Even DVD players that can play home-burned DVDs have problems with DVD-RWs. (And, as John says, brand can also make a difference. Poor quality brands like Memorex can be a bigger challenge for DVD players than higher quality brands like Verbatim.)

I'd recommend you try burning a Verbatim DVD (nor RW) and see if it plays.

These problems are virtually never related to the software that created the DVD. It's almost always a compatibility issue between the player and the disc media itself.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jimschumacher525 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 am

Though I'm a newcomer to this community, I really appreciate to speed and helpfulness of both of your responses. I was really thrilled when flash-drives became readily available. Why? Because there seemed to be so many compatibility issues with nearly every disk I worked with. Now that I'm (finally!) retired, this seems an ideal opportunity to do some serious learning. When my brother retired from practicing medicine, he took up golf. I figure working with computer's even better than golf. Same frustration level, coupled with increased personal productivity.
jimschumacher525
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:35 am

Well, you'll find lots of friends, colleagues and helps here, Jim. Muvipix is a community of videomakers whose goal is to assist, inspire, support and learn from each other. You won't find a friendlier group anywhere.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Welcome to Muvipix Jim :wcm:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Welcome to Muvipix Jim! There is a large knowledge base here from the people to books to the tutorials. :wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby jimschumacher525 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Still working on my compatability project... As suggested, I bought best disks I could find (Sony) (DVD-R). Brought them home and tried-em out... Basically, I didn't get as far as I did with my Memorex DVD-RW disks. The program wouldn't permit me to load anything into the copy tray.

I'm beginning to wonder if I might not need a different video tape recorder. Mine's admittedly old. Could it be there's something out there less persnickety?
jimschumacher525
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "the program wouldn't permit me to load anything into the copy tray" but, before you make any assumptions that involve replacing equipment, it might be worth running some more tests.

Can you test your DVD (or even your DVD-RW) in someone else's DVD player to make sure the problem is with your player and not with the disc itself?

Also, when you put your burned DVD (or DVD-RW) into your computer, your DVD player software should launch automatically and play your movie. Is this not happening?

I'm also concerned that you say you can't load your new, blank DVDs into your computer's DVD drive. Software has nothing to do with that. What exactly is happening with you try to load a blank disc in your drive?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Welcome! :meet:

jimschumacher525 wrote:As suggested, I bought best disks I could find (Sony) (DVD-R).

Try Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.
Sony is not very compatible.
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Jim, I think you need to start at the beginning and tell us everything you can about what you are doing :)

Please include as much information as possible about your software, computer and video equipment. That will be a big help and will lead to a faster solution and better understanding of what you are trying to do.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jimschumacher525 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi, Steve and John! I'm amazed by your thoughtfulness. It's great, having your expert help. It's strange! For fifty years, I earned my living by writing and speaking in public. Now, when I try being specific about technical matters outside my field, I realize just how slippery words can be.

When I said I was having difficulty moving images into the cue tray, that really didn't mean I couldn't load the DVD. What was not happening was that I couldn't click and slide the image of my video into the cue area, where it could be recorded into the machine.

Every technical field has its own, specialized vocabulary. Guess I'm still in the learning stage when it comes to video editing. Still, it's difficult to imagine that makers of DVD recorders haven't yet capatalized on the ability of at least some of their machines to use disks produced by computers.

By the way, I've got a dear friend even older than I, who explains his computer phobia by saying, "I'm sorry, but I just never learned which end of these gadgets I can pour the water into!" Seemed creative to me!
jimschumacher525
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:29 pm

There are plenty of DVD players that can play home burned DVDs Jim, the brand and type of disc is very important however. I'm still not quite sure what you mean by

What was not happening was that I couldn't click and slide the image of my video into the cue area, where it could be recorded into the machine

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:20 am

Chuck Engels wrote:There are plenty of DVD players that can play home burned DVDs Jim, the brand and type of disc is very important however. I'm still not quite sure what you mean by

What was not happening was that I couldn't click and slide the image of my video into the cue area, where it could be recorded into the machine

Jim, are you trying to 'drag and drop' the video onto the DVD for writing? Can you describe a little more fully what/how you are doing at this point, and what software you are using?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby jimschumacher525 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:38 am

Hi, John, Steve, et. al.; Boiling-down each of your responses, I've decided to go on line to order Verbatim -R disks. Why? Stores locally don't seem to handle Verbatim. Soon as these disks show up, I'll load one into the tray on my tower to see if Premiere Elements 7 will accept them as "compatable." Assuming Verbatim passes that test, then I'll procede to make a disk -- but only through Premeiere Elements 7. I believe that where I ran into trouble was using a different program to create the disk. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm really quite hopeful this solution will work. I'll admit, my initial skepticism came out of bad experiences with disk incompatability at nearly every turn. More later.
jimschumacher525
New User
New User

Next

Return to PRE Version 7