They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE7 Hangs when starting up after failed import from VADO

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

PE7 Hangs when starting up after failed import from VADO

Postby ljacob66 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:25 pm

I've got a bit of a mess here...

... I attempted to import three files, simultaneously, from my relatively new Creative VADO HD. When I did that, PE7 stalled and although I don't recall the error/warning specifically, it had to do with the audio codec. After waiting for a few minutes, it became clear that PE7 had hung and I had to kill it with the task manager.

Subsequently, when I attempted to restart PE7, it would hang after starting up and no matter whether I attempted to start a new project, open an existing project or create an instant movie. Oddly, there were always three greyed out areas on the right side of the screen; seemed to be something leftover from my failed import.

I deleted all of the PE7 files in the My Documents folder, and that did not help. I also deleted all the Adobe Premiere Elements "Application Settings" from the Documents and Settings folder under "All Users" and my own username. Still, no love.

I completely uninstalled PE7 and completely reinstalled it. Still no lover.

Are there some additional temporary files around that I can clear out from somewhere else, or have I hosed things up such that I can't even run PE7 on my computer again without reinstalling the OS?

I still don't fully understand the issue with importing VADO HD files, although I've now read that it can be a problem and that it *might* be something I can workaround, but boy, this has turned into a VERY frustrating issue!!!

Thanks for your insights!

Lou
PE7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ljacob66
New User
New User

Re: PE7 Hangs when starting up after failed import from VADO

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:44 am

Others will be along with insights but my initial guess is that whilst PrElv7 will export in H264 format, it doesn't work with imported H264 files.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:12 am

Did you delete your prefences folder in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\7.0 (delete the complete Premiere Elements folder) it will be rebuilt next time you start PE7. Note it might be a hidden file on your PC and so you need to go to into Tools>Folder Options>View and select Show hidden files and folders.

However note this will delete any custom preset settings for projects, effects, and transition.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:20 am

Besides recreating the preferences, you can also try reloading the plugins cache. On Windows, premiere elements stores that in the registry. You can clear it and force a reload by holding down the shift key while starting the application.

Have you checked the windows event log to see if an error message was written to it?
Bob

Return to PRE Version 7