They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Flicker Removal or Anti-flicker Filter ?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Flicker Removal or Anti-flicker Filter ?

Postby Felix G » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi,
I am trying to get rid of a notorious flicker effect that occurs if I put Cross Dissolve transitions over heavily keyframed adjacent pictures (gifs).
The duration of the transitions is pretty large: up to 10 seconds or more.
In order for the transition to appear as smooth as possible, brightness, contrast, saturation and such effects as the Gaussian Blur and Shadow/Hightlight are applied and keyframed on both clips.
All very nice, on the computer screen, but when played back on TV, that flicker occurs, especially over larger more or less monochrome areas.
(Looks like a sheet of paper with a flame beneath, just the split second before it catches fire.)
I tried all Processing Options of the Field Options menu, to no (or not much) avail.
The same goes for the Anti-flicker Filter I "discovered" under the Motions tab of the Properties panel.
Am I doing something wrong? Or overlooking something. Is there a combination of settings worth a try?
All suggestions appreciated.
Felix
Felix G
New User
New User

Re: Flicker Removal or Anti-flicker Filter ?

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:49 pm

Try using the Fast Blur effect on the A-B clips. You have to set the properties so that it only works in the vertical direction. For blur value you can try from 0.1 to 2.0. A value of 1.0 should get rid of heavy flickering.

It's easier if you have your computer connected to your TV so you can make the adjustments in Premiere Elements and watch the results in real time on tv. But if you can't do that, then you can create a test DVD with several samples with varying blur values from 0.1 to 2.0.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Flicker Removal or Anti-flicker Filter ?

Postby Felix G » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:14 am

I will experiment with the Fast Blur.
(I have a TV connected to the computer, so
the effect of all changes appears directly.)
Thanks for your help
F
Felix G
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 7