They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Changing default locations

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Changing default locations

Postby keledole » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Is it possible to change the default locations of the temporary/working files. They currently go to the c: drive but it is getting pretty cramped there. I would like to get them to go to the D: drive if possible.

Thanks in advance
keledole
New User
New User

Re: Changing default locations

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:05 pm

By default, the scratch disk files are set to Same as Project -- so they'll be saved to the same drive, and into the same sub-folders, as your project files. You can easily set or change these locations under Edit/Preferences.

The program, however, like most intensive programs, also needs to use a lot of space on your C drive for paging -- so there's no substitute for having at least 15% of your C drive free too.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:By default, the scratch disk files are set to Same as Project -- so they'll be saved to the same drive, and into the same sub-folders, as your project files. You can easily set or change these locations under Edit/Preferences.

The program, however, like most intensive programs, also needs to use a lot of space on your C drive for paging -- so there's no substitute for having at least 15% of your C drive free too.

Steve, I recently noted the following:

1) When I changed my Scratch Disk from the Same as Project Drive to my internal SATA D Drive (223Gb of free defragmented space), I would no longer see the program begin to act "buggy" when the amount of RAM being used approached 1.8Gb. Now, I've seen that number go as high as 2.21Gb on the Performance Tab in the Task Manager before PRE7 begins to "act up" while editing.

2) When I changed my Project drive from one with 50Gb of remaining free space (50/931=5% free space) to one with over 600Gb (600/931=64% free space), there was a dramatic decrease in the number of red frames upon importing my HD MPEG2 files into a new Timeline for the purpose of creating a long project from a number of shorter movies. At first, it seemed ALL were gone but, alas, upon closer inspection a few remain. (I put up a number of posts recently regarding my ongoing problem with red frames.)
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby roadsideron » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:49 pm

In Windows XP ( I'm not sure how Vista works, but an Internet search should provide the answer ) an OS drive should not be more than 75% full. At more than 85% full XP will not even defrag the drive. A hard drive needs space to move files around as they're being accessed just like a living room full of furnature. You cannot pack a living room full of furnature and expect to be able to move around in it. You need room for living space as you go about your daily business. Hard drives are the same. I try not to have my OS drives more than 60% full so that they operate better and faster.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:26 am

A cautionary note. My C: drive is only around 40% full so I was very alarmed, recently, when Windows reported that the drive was full and I couldn't save an MS-Word document to my desktop.

I carried out a search on the drive for all files above 100Mb and was extremely surprised to find a whole stack of .cfa files that had been created there by Encore CS4, despite my having set the workspace to one of my other drives. All other Encore files were in the areas that I had designated.

I now search/scan my C: drive periodically to ensure that the problem doesn't arise again at some point in the future.

Of course, it may be that I am doing something stupid......(quite likely in my case)...... to have the files written to the C: drive....:???:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to PRE Version 7