They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adjust audio in menu

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Adjust audio in menu

Postby keledole » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:38 am

Hi, This is my first post and a relatively new user to the Adobe line of video editing software. I have been editing for several years prior with a competitors package but decided to buy PE7 (long story).

I have your book on order and will be receiving it in about a week but I had a newbie question about a menu feature. The audio clip volume level is too loud in relation to the clip volumes in the project. Raising all the clip volumes in the project may a possibility but is there a way to adjust the volume level for the menu only?

If not, is there a way to edit the audio clip source file in pe7 before it is added to the menu or will I have to use a third party audio editor?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
keledole
New User
New User

Re: Adjust audio in menu

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:46 am

Hi, K! And welcome to Muvipix!

Unfortunately, you can't adjust the audio level for the menu in the program.

You'll need to go back to the original file and, using a program like Audacity (free) adjust the volume level of the original file.

Meantime, speaking of the audio level of your video, it's important never to trust the speakers on your computer for setting the levels for your video! Instead, click on the Mix Audio button on the timeline panel to open the Audio Mixer and use it to set your audio levels. That way you'll know you're working with a real standard instead of a subjective one. (It will also help you avoid overmodulating or undermodulating our audio, which can produce a very low quality sound on your DVD.)

In fact, do this first and then judge it against your menu audio. Just in case the menu audio was right and your movie's audio was too low!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby keledole » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks Steve!

Your lightning fast response is greatly appreciated =D> . I'll take your advice and open the audio editor and check out the audio levels for the project. Can't wait for the book!
keledole
New User
New User

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:47 am

Unless PE has a problem with working on Audio-only files and Exporting just the Audio (Steve will correct me on this, if I am wrong), you could use his tip for the Audio Mixer for your Audio-only file too. That way, you have the same set of meters, as for the Audio for your combined Video & Audio.

In P-Pro, I always just do a Sequence (think of this as a mini-Project in PE, but it's within the main Project), for my Menu Audio. Set the levels and Export as PCM/WAV (or DD 5.1 SS AC3, in my case). This is the Asset that is linked to the Menu Audio. Though I have Audacity, Audition and a dozen other Audio manipulation programs, I usually keep it simple and already have my levels from the "movie." Just make a note of the Levels from your Video & Audio Project, start a new Project, and Import the Audio file. Open the Audio Mixer, and apply those Levels there. Export to PCM/WAV 16/48, and Import into your original Project. Note: I'm not sure how one sets the Audio Asset for a Menu in PE, but Steve's book will cover that. I use an additional, stand-alone program for DVD authoring, and the process is totally different.

I'm from the old school, where Levels are set first, but then a critical listen with good headphones or a properly calibrated monitor setup is used for the final, critical listening phase. Levels are a good starting point, but one's ears should be the final test - just make sure that all is calibrated and consistant. A set of "speakers" on a computer, though good quality speakers are not usually calibrated and the environment is seldom conducive to a critical listening test. That's why I always use the same exact headphones (noise-canceling in my case) for the final test.

Regardless of the exact method used, once the raw Audio is Imported, there is no way to adjust it, without handling it as a separate entity, processing it, and only then, using it as an Asset for the Menu's Audio.

BTW Audacity is neat, powerful, free and has a small footprint on your system. Oh, did I mention that it's free? Works very well, if you don't have something else that you like better.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:57 am

And, oh yeah -- THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE BOOK! I hope it takes you to great places!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby keledole » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:16 am

Good tip Mr. Hunt. Using the same meters will eliminate one more variable in a somewhat uncontrollable set of audio formats, codecs etc. in the different clips assembled for the project including the one used for the menu. My small personal projects do not have to pass the same quality control as it sounds yours do. (I grade my projects on a pass/fail curve with the basis of a passing project being completed and exported in the format I intended. It also gets extra credit if I don't get blank stares from the peanut gallery after viewing!) :-8

Thanks again for all the input!
keledole
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:40 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Meantime, speaking of the audio level of your video, it's important never to trust the speakers on your computer for setting the levels for your video! Instead, click on the Mix Audio button on the timeline panel to open the Audio Mixer and use it to set your audio levels.

Is this available in PreEl 3?
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Peru wrote:
Is this available in PreEl 3?

I believe the Audio Mixer was introduced in Premiere Elements 4, but you can use the Audio Levels Monitor in version 3.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Chuck wrote:
I believe the Audio Mixer was introduced in Premiere Elements 4, but you can use the Audio Levels Monitor in version 3.

How do I open the Monitor?
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:21 pm

Audio Levels should be under the Window drop-down menu.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks, Chuck and Steve.

I'll try it when I get home. I'm at work now, goofing off because the boss isn't in (My wife is home sick today). :-
Peru

Postby Peru » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:46 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Audio Levels should be under the Window drop-down menu.

Works like a charm!
Thanks.
Peru

Return to PRE Version 7