They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PREMIERE ELEMENTS 7 CLOSES WHEN TRY TO BURN TO DVD

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS 7 CLOSES WHEN TRY TO BURN TO DVD

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:49 am

Give this a try,
When you are ready to burn a DVD exit Premiere Elements and restart your computer.
When the computer starts up go straight into Premiere Elements and Share/Disc.

You can also try starting Premiere Elements while holding down the CTRL + Shift keys
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbdd316
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby alaindresse » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your time and for the suggestions: I will free up the preferences, and clean up my registry. and keep you updated on the success or not.

I do believe however that I will need to do more cleaning than this to solve my issue. I suspect a corrupted catalog (had this with PE4 before). I also noticed I had PE4 folders laying around that did not get removed by the deinstall of PE4. How do I get rid of all Premiere Elements folders and files created by the installation ?

A full deinstall / reinstall of PE7 (which I believe also cleared the preferences) didn't solve the issue. As for the burn righ after a restart, I have had a crash with both a project with one 5 second section of a DV capture from my camcorder, and an empty project, right after a restart. I have also had a no-crash disk burning session to a folder with a 20 minute movie between two crashed sessions for the same project. I have not yet figuree out the difference in context between a no-crash and a crash.

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby alaindresse » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:56 am

Hi,

Some more information: the problem is not solved but I may have a workaround.

First what I did: Clean up my registry, clean up the preferences, restart, open a simple project with one jpeg, share, disk, --> CRASH.

Then I logged in as admin, uninstalled all adobe products, cleaned the registry, restarted, removed my network connection, stopped avast, installed PSE7, restarted, installed PE7 as admin without avast, restarted, launched pe7 as admin, open a simple project with one jpeg, share, disk, --> CRASH.

Now the workaround candidate: the following sequence worked three times in a row:
restart, launch PE7, open a project, share tab, COMPUTER button, MPEG file, back, back, share to disk button, NO CRASH !, quit PE7, redo the sequence, CRASH.

So it seems that getting to the options to create the MPEG before I try to create a disk bypasses the crash, but only the first time.

Does this trigger any new ideas on what it could be ? Something with the codecs used to create the DVD - and the choice would be forced by the going to the mpeg file selection ?

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby alaindresse » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi,

My prolem seems to be solved ! At least I was able go click on the Disk button four times in a row without crashing.
Two things I believe made the difference: my drivers were NOT up to date. I trusted the HP site, where I had downloaded and applied all the driver updates, and not the manufacturer sites. After I read another post where you recommend strongly to disregard Realtek's comment to download drivers from the computer manufacturer, I went chasing for drivers.

I stumbled on this site: http://www.radarsync.com/ which helps identify the drivers to be updated. Don't know how reliable it is, though, so please use at your own risks...

Second thing was the article Troubleshoot system errors and freezes when you burn DVDs or Blu-ray discs (Adobe Premiere Elements 7), and in particular point 19: Refresh the DVD drivers list in the Windows registry.

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Glad to hear that everything is finally working, good work and troubleshooting :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby alaindresse » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi,

PE7 still works fine, but refreshing the DVD drivers list forces a reinstall of all the other CD / DVD burning applications. And Roxio came preinstalled on my PC... Any idea how I can repair it (I don't have the install disks, of course) ?

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:18 am

Recommend that you consider ditching Roxio and use ImgBurn. It is a free light weight utility that works extremely well. Does not give you all the bloatware that comes with Roxio.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:33 am

I agree with Vernon on ImgBurn, but I still use RecordNow for some things and that came on my old Dell 8300.

You should have Roxio on a disc however, did you check all of the discs that came with your computer.
It probably just says 'Pre-Installed Software' and then lists Roxio and others in small print.
All of the pre-installed software for my Dell's are on discs and I can reload them or install them on another computer.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby alaindresse » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi,

I noted that PE didn't see the dirves either: I had just hit the disk button, and as PE didn't crash, I assumed the problem was solved. I wanted to go one step further, and noticed PE7 didn't find a drive. I uninstalled and reinstalled PE7, and the drives were back, both in PE7 and Roxio...

And so was the crash. Not the first time I launch PE7 after a reboot, but if I quit and relaunch PE7, it crashes when I get to the Disk button.

At least it is now reproducible, and I can burn a DVD (I tried the full cycle) after a reboot.

After the crash, if I shut down the computer, I have an error message from photoshopserver.exe.

Regards,
Alain

P.S. I am learning quite a few things in this 'adventure'. Even if I still wish it never started... ::C
alaindresse

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Alain,
Have you gone to Control Panel/System and deleted the DVD drive. Restart Windows and the drive will be reinstalled. Sometimes the registry entries for the Drive get screwed up and causes untold grief. Give this a go and let us know how you get on.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby alaindresse » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:16 pm

HI,

I tried deleting the driver to force a reinstall. No change - crash is still here.

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:50 am

Alain,
Sounds like a software conflict. I have read all of the messages, but my mind is getting a bit mushy. What were your results from shutting down all of the non-essential software using MSConfig? There is a piece of software called EndItAll that PCMag that does the same thing. I would try disabling everything via MSConfig and try to do a burn. If successful, then add it back in one at a time until I found the crash.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:11 am

VernonRobinson wrote:......There is a piece of software called EndItAll that PCMag that does the same thing.

You can find EndItAll here:

http://enditall.en.softonic.com/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby alaindresse » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 am

Hi,

Thanks for your messages!

The results from shutting down non-essential apps was not concluding, but that was before I (really) updated my drivers. I will definitely try this again now, and EndItAll will certainly help.

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby alaindresse » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi,

Tried it again, turning off all unnecessary applications (kept avast, but so many people in this forum us it that I don't believe there is an incompatibility). Issue remains.

I will stop actively looking :pull: for ways to avoid the issue, as I now know I can burn right after a restart - issue only occurs at second run of PE7, as if PE7 didn't close completely. I will nevertheless try any promissing idea that comes my way...

Thanks & regards,
Alain
alaindresse

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 7