They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Effect preset folders

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Effect preset folders

Postby alaindresse » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi,

I have created a couple folders in the custom effect presets as described on page 141 of the pdf manual.
The folders appear in the drop-down menu, but nowhere else. How can I drag my effects to the folder, right-click or double click on it to delete it or rename it ?

What am I missing ?

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Re: Effect preset folders

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:31 pm

If you've saved a custom preset, it should appear in the My Presets panel, reachable from the left drop-down menu in the Effects panel.

Once you're in My Presets, all of your custom presets should appear as thumbnails.

You can then right-click on them and delete them, if you no longer want them.

Are you seeing something different?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby alaindresse » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Steve,

I am seeing what you describe.

My point was that I wanted to organise my presets in subfolders. PE7 allows you to create such folders, and it is described here in the section "Organize effect presets".

The folders are indeed created, and available from a menu box (the one that says "Show All" by default), but do not appear in the pane, so I can't select the folders to rename or delete them, and I can't drag my presets to them.

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:00 am

It seems that the My Presets folder feature is broken. Also, I cannot export presets. I can import presets I exported in earlier versions, and when the preset file contains two or more presets, then a new folder is created with the name of the file. For those I can rename and delete the folder.

EDIT: I got the export working, but don't know what I did to enable it. However, when I save two or more presets at a time and then import that file with multiple presets, there is no folder created like in prior versions.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:28 am

EDIT: I got the export working, but don't know what I did to enable it. However, when I save two or more presets at a time and then import that file with multiple presets, there is no folder created like in prior versions.

I don't have PE7 yet, so I am still working in PE4.

In PE4, when I import multiple presets, it does not create a folder for me. I can create a folder, so I guess if I imported the presets while in the folder, the presets would be in that folder. I have not tried it though.

Also, There is a bug in PE4 and maybe it is not fixed in PE7. Many times when I go to my presets, they are not there. If I right click on the window, then they appear. Maybe this bug is also not fixed.

As far as exporting presets, you can right click on a preset and export it. If you want to export several presets at the same time, you need to select them while holding down the ctrl key, then righ click and export. At least that is the way it works in PE4.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby alaindresse » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for your comments.

Importing and exporting does not seem to solve the issue. It seems to me (I hope I'm wrong) that the folders are to taken into account in the pane display, and thus cannot be used. When I export my presets, the file shows no folder structure (all the presets are in the 'root' folder), and I have no idea how to modify that file to add a folder.

I started a similar thread in the Adobe forums hoping that someone on that forum would have an idea.

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:02 pm

After reading JohnnyO's post, I figured I must have forgotten the details about exporting in previous versions. What you had to do is first create a folder, drag effects from the root folder to the new folder, select the new folder name, and finally export the folder. Then when you import that effect preset, a new folder is created with the effects underneath.

I uploaded to my gallery a zip file that contains an effect presets folder with two effects. If you unzip that file, you can then import the effect preset into version 7. You may not see the folder and effects until you click on an empty area in the pane. You will probably need to reselect "My Presets" from the dropdown menu before you see the imported folder name in the other dropdown menu.

Importing this effect preset is the only way I can figure out how to create a new effects folder in version 7 in which you can delete, rename, and drag effects into.

http://muvipix.com/cpg/displayimage.php?pos=-2691
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Vera S » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:52 am

Hi RJ,
I imported your preset-folder as per description. Everything works perfect.

Than I imported the 1000x750 presets in a new folder (created by PRE). The presets became imported, but not in the new folder, which is empty. The only way to see the new presets is option "Show all". Cannot rename the folders as Alain reports, too.

Regards,
Vera
DELL 9150, D 930, 2 GB Ram, 2 160 SATA HD, Nvidia 7900 GS - Panasonic NV-GS 75 - Canon Powershot S 80 - WinXP Prof SP3
Vera S
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:19 am

Vera, What I'm thinking is that when the 1000x750 presets were exported, there wasn't a folder involved in the export so there won't be a folder when you import it.

What you can do is import my preset again. Then select the folder name and rename it. Don't delete the two sharpen presets from it yet. Then drag and drop each 1000x750 preset from the root folder onto the folder name. Then delete the two sharpen presets from that group. Now you have a folder with just the 1000x750 presets.

If you delete all the presets included in a folder, you won't be able to delete the folder or put anything in it again. To delete a folder, keep at least one preset in the folder, then delete the folder. As soon as all presets are deleted from a folder, the folder name disappears, but becomes permanently listed in the drop down list.

I hope I'm making sense at this early hour in the morning.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Vera S » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:27 am

RJ, thanks for your help. I tried to import your preset again, but PRE doesn't create a second folder. What happens is, that there are two of both presets in the first folder.
No chance to create a new order :roll:
DELL 9150, D 930, 2 GB Ram, 2 160 SATA HD, Nvidia 7900 GS - Panasonic NV-GS 75 - Canon Powershot S 80 - WinXP Prof SP3
Vera S
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby alaindresse » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:28 am

RJ,

Thanks for your help.
We are on a good track, even if there are some quirks. In addition to Vera's comments, in my case, your approach created a new type of presets : I have a french GUI, so 'My presets' is called 'Mes préconfigurations'. Now I have both 'My presets' (with your presets & folders), and 'Mes préconfigurations' with mine.

Now I have both 'Mes préconfigurations' with my saved presets, and 'My presets' with yours. And when I save a new preset, it goes into 'My presets', which I can't delete.

Does anybody know where PE7 stores the effects? Maybe changing the settings file itself would work...

Regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:37 pm

You'll have to delete "Effect Presets and Custom Items.prfpset" and start over. The file is here:

C:\documents and settings\YOUR-LOGIN-NAME\application data\adobe\premiere elements\7.0\Effect Presets and Custom Items.prfpset

You need to "show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options in the Control Panel to make the path visible.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:47 pm

Vera Haase wrote:RJ, thanks for your help. I tried to import your preset again, but PRE doesn't create a second folder. What happens is, that there are two of both presets in the first folder.
No chance to create a new order :roll:

Vera, Before importing the same preset, you'll have to rename the folder that's already there, then import it again. That way there won't be the same folder names.

You could also open up my preset file with WordPad and edit the folder name so it is something else.

Alain, you could try editing my preset file in WordPad and change "My Presets" to the French name. There is also a folder named "Root." Is that the same in the French version? If not, you'll have to change "Root" to the French version.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby alaindresse » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:08 pm

RJ,

I will certainly do that... but I need to delete the My Presets folder that is now used to store my presets. Very confusing to have the french named equivalent no longer used...
Any idea how I can do that ?

Thanks and regards,
Alain
alaindresse

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Alain, look a few posts up. I posted the file you need to delete in order to start over.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to PRE Version 7