They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Shopping help?

Premiere Pro discussions.

Shopping help?

Postby karri » Sat May 28, 2011 9:19 am

We are debating whether to buy the Production Premium bundle instead of just getting Premiere Pro. But while shopping around, I notice some boxes are called "Etail" version. What does that mean? Is the product the same and will it be an Adobe recognized product for upgrading purposes later on?

Also, some have "Win Dv Var Ret" next to them. What does that mean?

And what is the difference from APP to OEM and ED. The OEM and ED seem pretty straightforward, but what is APP?

Is there a page somewhere that deciphers all the code? :-k

Example of "Etail" version,
http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Production-Premium-Version-Software/dp/B003VT24JW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306591802&sr=1-4

Thanks for any help :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shopping help?

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 28, 2011 9:56 am

Hi Karri,
Don't let the terminology confuse you, Etail and Retail are the same thing.
Retail would be an actual physical store, Etail is online Ecommerce, that's all.

OEM is usually without a box, just the software and maybe a manual. Be very careful to purchase a "real" copy of the software that you can activate and register. If not you will not be able to upgrade ever. There are lots of scams out there for Adobe software, mostly because of the price. If you find a deal that is really, really cheap, don't go for it as it will definitely be a scam.

Personally I have always purchased Adobe software directly from the Adobe store, no problems that way - ever.

Hope that helps :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 28, 2011 10:04 am

One other thing; The upgrade price if you already own some version of Photoshop or Premiere Pro is only $1100
If you could find a copy of Photoshop CS2 online for example, like on eBay, you could probably save some money.
Check the programs you can upgrade from and you can probably find a deal out there somewhere.

When I bought Premiere Pro CS3 I found a copy of Encore 1.5 online for $50, brand new in the box.
That gave me an upgrade price for Premiere Pro of $299, that was less than 1/2 price :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby karri » Sat May 28, 2011 10:13 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Hi Karri,
Don't let the terminology confuse you, Etail and Retail are the same thing.
Retail would be an actual physical store, Etail is online Ecommerce, that's all.

I should have known that! #-o

OEM is usually without a box, just the software and maybe a manual. Be very careful to purchase a "real" copy of the software that you can activate and register. If not you will not be able to upgrade ever. There are lots of scams out there for Adobe software, mostly because of the price. If you find a deal that is really, really cheap, don't go for it as it will definitely be a scam.

Personally I have always purchased Adobe software directly from the Adobe store, no problems that way - ever.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Chuck, I'm trying to stay away from scams, yet still get the best price. The Adobe site gives an upgrade path from PrEl for $100 off PrPro, but not the suite. They also have 10% off this weekend, I think. But then I'd really like to be able to send footage to AE and back to PrPro and so I'd like to get the bundle. It's kinda pricey for us right now though.

Do you know anything about VideoGuys.com? They have a10% off sale too but their prices start lower. They aren't listed as an authorized reseller though, that I could find.
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby karri » Sat May 28, 2011 10:17 am

Chuck Engels wrote:One other thing; The upgrade price if you already own some version of Photoshop or Premiere Pro is only $1100
If you could find a copy of Photoshop CS2 online for example, like on eBay, you could probably save some money.
Check the programs you can upgrade from and you can probably find a deal out there somewhere.

When I bought Premiere Pro CS3 I found a copy of Encore 1.5 online for $50, brand new in the box.
That gave me an upgrade price for Premiere Pro of $299, that was less than 1/2 price :)

Thanks Chuck, you really got a great deal! I'm worried about buying something though, that Adobe won't recognize as legit and therefore I won't get the upgrade price. I just don't know how to tell the difference between the scammers and legit copies before I actually buy it. :-k
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat May 28, 2011 11:11 am

I have Production Premium CS5 and I am very happy with it. If you Plan on buying Premiere Pro CS5.5 and After Effects CS5.5, the cost for the suite will be similar, but you will also get Photoshop Extended Edition, Audition, Illustrator and more. You come out much better than buying the individual products. And, you'll have the dynamic link capability which you won't with the individual products purchased separately.

If you qualify for the Educational Edition, that will be the least expensive.

A word of warning: Adobe does not sell OEM versions of any of the Creative Suite. If you see an OEM version of Production Premium for sell, something is fishy, avoid that seller. Purchasing from EBay is risky. You may get a legitimate version, but you may also get a hacked or pirated version or a used version that cannot be registered or activated. You need to be extremely careful buying software through EBay.
Bob

Postby karri » Sat May 28, 2011 11:53 am

Thanks Bob. I didn't realize if I bought them separately I cant use dynamic link. Another reason to try to find enough funds to get the bundle.

Unfortunately I do not quality for ED version. And I will stay away from OEM then. (Too bad as there is an affordable one online now, but it is marked OEM.)

Do you know if "APP" is legal?
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat May 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Those abbreviations are normally descriptions of the product type that appear on the box label. "Win" is for Windows version, "RET" is retail, "UPSL" is upsale, "Fr Point Prd" is upgrade from point product (i.e. an upgrade from premiere pro, photoshop, or after effects), and so forth. "VAR" is normally Value Added Reseller. I'm not sure what "APP" or "DV" means in this context. I wouldn't worry about that. Those are more for internal Adobe use. You don't order using those abbreviations. Normally, you go by OS (Windows or Mac), Product name and version, retail, educational, or upgrade (if upgrade, from previous version or upgrade (upsale) from point product), and language version.
Bob

Postby karri » Sat May 28, 2011 12:55 pm

OK, thanks Bob. I just didn't know if we could decipher the scammers with those abbreviations.

One more question ... can we download and install the trial version and then just enter the key code when we buy the full version, or do we have to uninstall the trial and then install the full product?

Thanks so much for all your help :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat May 28, 2011 1:02 pm

You used to have to uninstall the trial versions and reinstall the full product. I think that has changed with the current release. I have to go out right now, but when I get back later today I'll see if I can confirm that.
Bob

Postby karri » Sat May 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks Bob!
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat May 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Yes, you can now convert a trial version to a full version by purchasing the product and entering the serial number. In general, you won't need to reinstall. There are some situations that will require a reinstall, mainly changes in the product language. For example, if you trial an English version and purchase a German version, you will need to uninstall the trial and install the purchased version.

Encore CS5.5 will be installed with the Production Premium trial, but is not part of the trial. It will automatically become usable when a paid serial number is entered for the suite. Also, some features of the suite are licensed from 3rd party developers and licensing restrictions prevent their inclusion in the trial. Those portions will need to be installed after conversion to the full version. You won't need a full install. If you purchased the download version from the Adobe Store, you will be able to download that content directly from your Adobe Account. Otherwise, they will be installable from the product discs.
Bob

Postby karri » Sat May 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Bob, thanks for clarifying ...more great service from Muvipix :-D
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby karri » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:10 am

Just an update, I was able to get the Production Premium Suite. No problems so far! Thanks for all your help :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro