They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

CS4 Production Premium System Wish

Premiere Pro discussions.

CS4 Production Premium System Wish

Postby StevePaul » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:55 am

I am in a fortunate position to purchase a new system for editing. I’ve been using a Dell quad core system w/Vista 32 and it works, but it’s slow. I use it for corporate work which is great, but with everything that I do, running CS4 is a little taxing.

So my question is, if you had a budget of $2500 for a dedicated Editing system, what hardware would you get? Would you build the system or purchase a manufactured system?

I’ve been looking at putting together a workstation with,
2 quad core 2.66 cpu’s
6 gb ram per CPU
Graphics card with 4 DVI Output 512 mb ram
Raid 1 with twin 500 gb drives.
2 — 1 tb drives
Vista Business 64/bit OS

What are your thoughts?
Steve Paul
Dell Optiplex 755 - Intel Q6600 Quad 2.4GHZ processor, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, 2x 19" Monitors DVI,
500GB hard disk, DVD recorder, Vista Business w/SP1 32 bit, PE7
StevePaul
New User
New User

Re: CS4 Production Premium System Wish

Postby Bobby » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:14 am

Hi Steve. Sounds like fun!

I would change the RAID hard drives to WD VelociRaptor 300's. They are a really fast drive if money is no object - about $230 ea. from Newegg.

I have one non-RAID in my video editing PC. I always planned to RAID it, and may do so when I install Win7 in October.

People will tell you to have a regular HD for your system drive and the RAID for data, but I just go for it as C: - I want my system as snappy as can be when doing OS stuff like loading programs.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:42 am

Here are my thoughts, and the thoughts of others as well
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1640&p=12703#p12703

I prefer purchasing a complete system, my Dell Precision 490 couldn't have been built for what it cost me at the Dell Outlet ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:06 pm

It's well worth reading Harm Millaard's excellent article on building a PC for video editing:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433549?tstart=0
You'll learn more than you probably need to know.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:16 pm

I strongly recommend Harm Millaard's articles, linked to by Jack. He covers most aspects on gear, plus OS setup.

For an editing workstation, I have an slightly older unit. However, I have 4x 1TB SATA II's, 2x 1TB ATA-100's (would have 300's, but controller on the MoBo is limited to 100's), and 1x 250GB SATA II 10,000RPM for OS and programs.

New machine will have an I/O along these lines:
C:\ 350GB SATA II 10,000RPM
D:\ 2TB RAID 0 on separate PCIe controller (media)
E:\ 2TB RAID 0 on separate PCIe controller (Export)
F:\ 1TB SATA II Projects
G:\ 1TB SATAII Audio
H:\ 1TB SATA II (Asset storage)
I:\ - J:\ different brands of DVD burners
K:\ BD burner
L:\ - O:\ 4x 1TB hot-swappable eSATA array w/ 8x spare HDD's
P:\ - Z:\ my 2TB FW-800 externals, slowly being replaced by eSATA's

Along with CPU, the I/O sub-system is right at the top of the list. RAM is slightly behind for most applications and Assets.

Good luck, and it sounds like a killer system. I would use a non-RAID system disc. Harm discusses this in that article.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Clayton » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:42 am

Bill Hunt wrote:New machine will have an I/O along these lines:
C:\ 350GB SATA II 10,000RPM
D:\ 2TB RAID 0 on separate PCIe controller (media)
E:\ 2TB RAID 0 on separate PCIe controller (Export)
F:\ 1TB SATA II Projects
G:\ 1TB SATAII Audio
H:\ 1TB SATA II (Asset storage)
I:\ - J:\ different brands of DVD burners
K:\ BD burner
L:\ - O:\ 4x 1TB hot-swappable eSATA array w/ 8x spare HDD's
P:\ - Z:\ my 2TB FW-800 externals, slowly being replaced by eSATA's

Along with CPU, the I/O sub-system is right at the top of the list. RAM is slightly behind for most applications and Assets.

Good luck, and it sounds like a killer system. I would use a non-RAID system disc. Harm discusses this in that article.

Hunt

Holy Cow!!!!!!! :yh:
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Right now, this is just a machine on paper. I'm looking to try and build it within a year. By then, Win7 ought to be out and maybe even up to SP-1 (nowadays, I seldom adopt a new OS, until the SP-1 release and some good reports from the field), plus I'm speculating that Adobe will have released CS5 too.

Right now, my older workstation still performs perfectly, though I only edit SD material. By then, I will probably have added an HD workflow.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Clayton » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Absolutely, as we all do!
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Doreen L. » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:38 pm

I just purchased Adobe Creative Suite 4 - Production Premium and I'm really concerned that my 2 year old Dell XPS is underpowered for these programs. I just got the software this week so I haven't really played around with it too much yet (there's a definite learning curve here. LOL).

I really don't want to buy a new system if I can avoid it and from what i can tell from the Dell site, I can't really upgrade the processor much. My biggest concern is with editing HDV files (My beloved Panasonic GS400 fried and died in July so I went and got the Sony FX7. It does record HDV on DV cassettes which seems to be a little less hoggy than AVCHD). Was wondering if Chuck or any of the others have suggestions on Dell models since we've done well with them (was very happy with this computer which I bought from the Dell outlet).

Doreen
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:35 pm

Your XPS should have no problem running CS4. My 5-year-old Dell 8400 will run CS4. The issue is with the type of footage you'll be editing and the level of effects you'll be applying. You should be fine editing HDV as long as you're not trying to do "Star Wars"-level effects.

Try it with your current set-up and if for some reason you're not happy with the performance, we'll be happy to give advice on upgrading your PC. Otherwise, your money might be better spent on other equipment.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:00 pm

I generally agree with Jack. I wouldn't touch AVCHD without a quad processor, but you should be fine for ordinary work with hdv. Expect that complex AE work will require a good amount of time too. The one thing you may want to do sooner rather than later is to bring your RAM up to 4GB. Especially if you will be using dynamic link. Dell probably filled all four slots so you'll need to replace the existing ram to upgrade, but if you shop around you should be able to do it using four 1GB sticks for under $80 or thereabouts.
Bob

Postby Doreen L. » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks guys. So far, so good but I haven't done too much. I really don't want to invest in a new computer right now and adding RAM is relatively cheap.

Bob - funny you should mention that you have an 8400 (I know Chuck has/had one too). We have one that when my daughter turned it on the other day, she got the blue screen. Ugh. After going through all the usual steps, it came up with different error messages when I tried to reboot and then finally tried to do a reinstall of XP. The final message was that the C drive was corrupted. I bought a new SATA WD hard drive and when my husband tried numerous times to do a fresh install of XP on the new drive, it would get to the same spot (28 to 32%) and would stop and give a message that it couldn't install. I forget the error message. He even tried the XP installation CD from our 8200 and it still stopped at the same point and said it couldn't be installed. I don't know what, if anything, we can do - I would like to keep that computer if we could get it to work.

I've done all sorts of googles - and nothing worked including changing the SATA operation in the bios and a couple of other things. Some mentioned it could be the RAM or CD Rom Drive. I don't know - do you think there's something simple we're missing?
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:06 am

You might try replacing the battery on the mother board. This is very cheap, easy to do and could (strong emphasis on COULD) be the source of the problem.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Doreen L. » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:33 am

Thanks John. It might be worth a shot and it's cheap. It's very fustrating because that computer has always been used the least out of all the computers we've ever had.
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:58 pm

If you have not seen these articles, http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215, you will get some great ideas of how to build/buy an NLE system.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro